Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Look Ma No Car!

Today's Look Ma No Car!

Bus to Kirkstall Bridge, ran 6+ miles along the canal to & through Apperley Bridge, bus back. Door to door 3.5 hours. Supposedly my long run, included additionally 2 unplanned sprints for buses and 2 miles of walking. Pluses: 2 goosander, lots of friendly runners, rain held off til I was snug at home. Minuses: tons and tons of dogshit, mile markers showing how very slowly I was running. Useful info: loos at Kirkstall in Morrissons and BHS. If anyone knows of loos at Apperley Bridge or elsewhere near Leeds-Liverpool Canal, please tell.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 27-02-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: unclear
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: Today's Look Ma No Car!

48 minute run round on the grass and mud on Woodhouse Moor. Fartlek. Hard to avoid stepping on the crocuses. Travel: 2 x 3 minute walks.

Sad that this thread has had not one response, I was going to let it die a quiet death. However, the controversy regarding the dangers of driving after long events currently raging has suddenly made it topical, so this is a re-launch.

I thought it would be interesting if people noted training they have achieved without using a car. I am not implying that everyone should give up driving, but I'm sure lots of running does take place either directly from home or via public transport. I personally would value input on how people do this - tips, snags and advantages. A recent discussion about leaving food and clothing at the foot of a hill - and finding it gone - would fit in nicely. I am interested in the ratio between travelling and running time - whether the travelling is by car or other means. Travelling to run by public transport is perforce often a bit long, but then time on bus or train is not dead time - eating, sleeping, reading, adjusting ones' clothing can be done, and muddy shoes are welcome.

I don't want to be pious about this. I realise that many live in the sticks and have virtually no public transport. Also the fares younger people have to pay make my hair stand on end. But as a retired bus passholder living within walking distance of rail and bus stations, if I can't run and walk car-free no-one can. Surely there are other runners out there who aspire to leave the car at home, sometimes?

Alexandra I suspect the thread is a bit hidden away, thats all. That and the fact that most everyone can go for a run from home without using their car, and probably often do .

I'm probably the worst person possible to try and get by without using his car; 40,000 miles a year and counting

Super Moderator

Alexandra, I ran from home this evening and often do. I'm very lucky as the Dales Way runs through the village and the top of Beamsley Beacon is 2.5ml / 1000ft from my back door
    Poacher turned game-keeper

For about 6 months I did without a car. 5 miles to work, run or cycle. Bus to work, run home door to door via canal, about 7 miles. Now alas it's a 56 mile round trip so not really viable! The trains are rubbish and expensive at £9 return considering that I can car-share and charge my passenger £3 a day.

Managed 15 years of work without a car, got a van now for work and quite frankly, hate it, but it's a job and pays the bills
    Hills and Guinness!

I'm very lucky in that two miles trot up the Porter Valley from where I live is the Peak District, so no probs getting out without the car to run on the fells and moors. I also like to catch the train out into the Peaks sometimes and run home. Usually reserve this for weekends when time is on my side.

Unfortunately this is somewhat counterbalanced by a fifty mile round trip to work and back each day Monday to Friday. I don't run it.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

My bus pass is wonderful. Even work on trains and metro in Greater Manchester!

I too know the unique pleasures of the Leeds-Liverpool canal! A few times I've bussed or trained out to Shipley/Saltaire/Bingley and run back along the canal (I live in Kirkstall). Also been out to Otley on the bus and run back through Bramhope and Adel. And the other week I bussed to Ilkely and ran back home on the Dales Way Link that takes you along the edge of the moor, over the Chevin (where I inadvertently joined the Rombald's Stride briefly!), down through Bramhope and then down by Eccup Resevoir and through Allwoodley. Bit of a long one that though. But, yeah, even living in a city it's possible to get out and run off-road for a good distance without using a car.
    Geoff Clarke