Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Look Ma No Car!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Today's Look Ma No Car!

I did run the 28mi home from Manchester once. Used to run to/from work every day when I lived 4mi away. Now road runs start from my door, but to do anything decent in the hills, to minimise time away from family, I have to drive.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I don't post here much, but was drawn to join in here.

I have been trying to cut car use too, though public transport is very sparce around where I live - there are trains and buses but the times are often just too infrequent to make use viable if trying to work too. I work from home which also makes the travel thing easier.

Since Christmas all my runs have been from home, also have started to walk my son to school (1.5M) then run from there. He's been loving the quality time too.

The biggest things I find it hard to cut out are the trips to the 'local' climbing wall for both my husband and myself on alternate evenings (someone has to babysit) and actually the 'getting from school' as we just haven't managed to organise our work so one of us can take that time out to walk, run or cycle there and walk back... but its work in progress.

On the running front though I am blessed with hills and forestry tracks all around, theres no real reason to car somewhere first to run from unless I am reccying a specific route.

I have started mountain biking too recently and travel to and from specific purpose built trails is by car, I am not fit enough to do a trail and bike to it, but that's also on the future to do list, can get fit without having to go to the purpose built places too so its not a x times a week thing.

I live in central Leeds and have no car and do 90% of runs from home, either on road or through woodland trails, or get a bus out e.g to Harrogate or Wetherby and run back. Weekend long runs are from the Settle-Carlisle or No 72/74 from Ilkley to Wharfedale. Always very grateful for the kindness of strangers (or clubmates) who offer a lift to races but really all it takes is a bit of planning. Anyway I'd probably get cramp driving back after a long 'un - much more fun to fall asleep on the train clutching a bottle of ale...
    Grok on!

I've also done the dales way link but got the train to Leeds and run home ,a good day out. Others include run to Hebden Bridge and train back , train to Horton in Ribblesdale run to Buckden ,bus to Skipton and train home .

Last year recce ing the Wessex 100 it was Train to Petersfield (Hampshire)
    3 days x 30miles ,B& B on the way and train Back from Alton

Gives you alot more choice using public transport

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

I have the use of 2 cars (was 3, but sadly I sold my Defender the day before the 'Ilkley Moor Fell-Race') but still get to work 'under my own steam'

However, it can be an act of clairvoyancy at times deciding which one SWMBO will want to use (C-Max, or, XKR), that's one of the reasons I tend to run/ride to work - it's easier & saves the "Why did you take the ....!?" questions

It's only 4 miles by road, so a quick & easy trot, taking on average 29:00 - 30:30 (dependant on time of day; the 05:00 runs aren't good!)

I've only driven there 2 times this year!, plus another twice when I was 'on-call' & had to go at 03:00, & stopped over into my own shift (but went out running 'XC' after I got home on both of those occasions)

As for food/drink/uniforms?, so far - until after Easter, when she changes schools - 'small-childs' School-Run passes our site, so SWMBO (or me) will drop my required items in on the journey back home
    (nice & easy for her, as she knows a lot of our Nurses, having worked there for a number of years previously)

I keep intending to follow the original vein of this thread, & get the bus/train to some location, & run back, or perhaps get SWMBO to take me & drop me off (then go shopping & follow my route home, if I look to be 'in trouble' she can pick me up)

I live not too far from the local railway station, so could catch the train to Leeds, & run from there, or go east - it's flatter

I'll have to figure it out & 'go for it'
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Don't have a car and do my training by getting on the train to the Surrey Hills every Sat am and running to another train station as far away as I dare. Attend fell races all around the country on public transport or by hitching.

I do two runs a week that involve public transport. In both cases I have a three mile walk to the train station, a 25 minute train ride to the Hills, a 5 minute dash up to a 6 mile hill session or a 15 minute walk to the start of a Long run. Then the same journey in reverse.

I quite like the mission aspect though and am just now looking into going further afield by public transport - Brecon in a couple of weeks for a long day out looking at Fan Y Big and the Cribyn.

I should move the long run from Sunday because the trains don't start running while half past ten and it makes for a very long day. Getting to races on a Sunday is ridiculous, if not impossible.

I live in a village in north Kent so can and often do go running straight from my house & out across fields, over undulating hills and along the Medway estuary, etc. Unfortunately in the 11 years I've lived here, I've run every single path/track/road within a 7 mile radius - so I get bored of the same old, same old. I find myself driving (as public transport from village is non-existent) to get to the North Downs which are my nearest hills of any significance (nearest section is 10 miles away).

I also orienteer occasionally and naturally have to drive to the various events.

As I work in London I take advantage of the fact that my office is 3 miles from Victoria Station to get road / park runs in up there - straight from/to the train in this case.

I typically do 3 runs a week, covering c. 30 miles, and car share whenever possible if using the car, but for me it's a mix of straight-from-home, from-pulic-transport and from-the-car running depending on where/when & who with
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Managed to not use the car for today's Wolf's Pit race - rode there and back on my bike, think that 3 or 4 others did the same too. I was wavering before I set off, but then couldn't think of a good enough excuse not to ride so thaught I'd better get going.

Legs are sore now, but I feel great! Think the ride was 26 miles, 1800' climbing for the round trip and the race was 5.8miles, 1600'. Probably explains the leg pain!

I am well impressed by you all! And heartened, and inspired.

My long run is now up to 7.5 miles, so possibilities are opening up. I plan soon to take the train to Sowerby Bridge and run+walk 10 miles on & off the Calderdale Way over to Cragg Vale. Bus back to Sowerby Bridge. Walking the steep ups and the roads (I'm allergic to running on tarmac) should reduce the running mileage nicely.

I wonder a bit about carrying enough food, water and warm clothes to cope with a longish wait and journey at the end, but I suppose I would still be carrying less than people do in 2 day events. I would really appreciate practical feedback on how people manage when their runs do not finish at their homes. How far do you aim to be self-sufficient, how much live off the land?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.