Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NorthFace,Karrimor or Camelbak

NorthFace,Karrimor or Camelbak

I'm after a decent, light not too huge hydration pack.

Does anyone know who does the better system? Is it all personal preferance or are they much of a muchness and it's a case of just getting the better deal?

I have 3 bumbags now but I think as all of it's weight isn't particularly evenly distributed i.e it's all concentrated on the lower back - I get back ache especially ascending the steep climbs - it doesn't happen when I'm bum bag free!

So I've decided for the long runs and especially as a heatwave is predicted to get a better system to enable me to carry fluid a little more comfortably

Any suggestions?

ps I've seen the water water thread, just asking for advice on these brands really as oppose to how much water to take!!

thanks
    emmi

Re: NorthFace,Karrimor or Came

I've just bought a NF Gulper. First one leaked at the pivot point where the hose joined the bladder... second one seems OK so far (the newer bladder systems seem too complicated...). Not totally convinced by the fit though, seems to ride up and I don't like the waist strap too tight. Might just take a bit of getting used to.

I used to use a platypus, I used it alot but the seem went, They replaced it and that one went in the same place as did the next one. I now use a Decathalon cheapy (less than half the price) inc rucsac. The plastic is softer so it doesn't crack/split and the opening is wider so I can throw in some ice cubes for the longer runs. If it did go so what I'll buy a new one at that price.

And it has a locking valve so you don't get dribbles.

Ian

Quechua/Decathlon sell good hydration sacks/bladders at cheap prices. There's one at Stockport.

Cheers, Ali.

I've got a KIMM ruck sack with a platypus.

I use the smallest OMM bag (10l I think) with a Platypus.

Thanks guys, there's SO much to chose from it's difficult to make a decision but I don't really want to shell out loads then decide it's the wrong one/doesn't fit etc

i take it the platypus's are just the water carriers then you put them into a backpack/rucksac that is compatible?

Does this work out cheaper than a combined hydration pack

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Thanks guys, there's SO much to chose from it's difficult to make a decision but I don't really want to shell out loads then decide it's the wrong one/doesn't fit etc

i take it the platypus's are just the water carriers then you put them into a backpack/rucksac that is compatible?

You are correct in that Playpus' are the water carriers.

I am not sure that they work out cheaper but I have got both 1ltr & 2ltr Platy's so it doesn't matter which bag I take out (40ltr, 30ltr, 25ltr, 10ltr) I can fit a hydration system.
    For this reason alone I have found them more practical than a dedicated hydration system.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post

Can do I think, I've got the OMM 10l sac and a platy, I think it was about £40 all in.

As Daz says though, when you get your platy, (bladder's as they're all known generically, sorry if that's patronising) it can fit in any sac with, either a wandpocket on the side or if there's a sleeve next to the back to put it in.
    Last edited by Graeme; 19-04-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Best hydration system I' seen by far is whats called a plastic bottle. Cheap and come in all sizes, fit nicely inside rucksacks or in the outside pockets and unlike the other hydration systems I've tried very rarely leak. Easy to fill up from streams. Seriously though, the advantage of bladders n pipes is that you DO drink rather than putting it off and getting dehydrated. Persoanlly I have found that this big advantage doesn't out weigh the disadvantages, but to be fair I've only really tried cheapo systems. What is good is the platypus just the container, not with the drinking tube - these can even fit into a bumbag, really versatile. Squeeze the air out and they are fine,even the PB bumbags can just about handle them. Just don't forget to actually have a drink out of it now and again.