Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NorthFace,Karrimor or Camelbak

Re: NorthFace,Karrimor or Came

I have a Camelbak (Mule) that I use for mountain biking. Its big enough to carry clothing, food, tubes, tools, map, first aid kit and strap helmet or armour to the outside. It also has a 3L bladder. My main problem with it is that if the bladder is full it makes the whole back of the sack sort of round and doesn't sit flat on your back and therefore is difficult to get tight enough to stop moving about (not so bad on the bike but not good when running). Also as you drink the water, it starts to get loose so you have to keep tightening it. You also have to stop to take anything out instead of just spinning a bumbag round to the front. I'm still trying to make my mind up whether to stick with the bumbag or use the Camelbak.

As for cleaning the tube...here's a handy tip although I prefer to use Milton solution instead of nuking it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I have a Camelbak (Mule) that I use for mountain biking. Its big enough to carry clothing, food, tubes, tools, map, first aid kit and strap helmet or armour to the outside. It also has a 3L bladder. My main problem with it is that if the bladder is full it makes the whole back of the sack sort of round and doesn't sit flat on your back and therefore is difficult to get tight enough to stop moving about (not so bad on the bike but not good when running). Also as you drink the water, it starts to get loose so you have to keep tightening it. You also have to stop to take anything out instead of just spinning a bumbag round to the front. I'm still trying to make my mind up whether to stick with the bumbag or use the Camelbak.

As for cleaning the tube...here's a handy tip although I prefer to use Milton solution instead of nuking it.
    Be Milton for me too!

I was wondering this reading the other posts that if you have a seperate bladder (platypus) and buy a bag/sack etc if it's not got an individual housing compartment for the bladder then surely it would swish around - sink to the bottom? Is this the difference than buying the North Face hammerhead (the one I've been looking at) for example

I've only ever use a bumbag but as I said the reason I'm not getting on with them is the weight issue - I think for me, it would be better if i could distribute it around my back/shoulders etc and not have all the strain/weight on/around my lower back - to be honest it puts me off taking the 2 bottles of water but from races I have done in the heat in the past i regretted it as waas dehydrated.

I think a pipe would encourage me to drink more and sufficiently I agree with that point totally

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I was wondering this reading the other posts that if you have a seperate bladder (platypus) and buy a bag/sack etc if it's not got an individual housing compartment for the bladder then surely it would swish around - sink to the bottom? Is this the difference than buying the North Face hammerhead (the one I've been looking at) for example
    Some rucsacs have either an internal or external pocket for the hydration bladder, some don't. You'll just need to take a look inside them and see how they're set up. I use a Macpac Ultramarathon for hillwalking, and it can accomodate the hydration bladder on the outside at the back. In some bags you can lever the bladder into internal pockets for maps etc.

So don't go for the Hammerhead just because it has a specific hydration bladder pocket. That said, as noted on the "water water" thread, I'm happy with my Hammerhead for road and hill running, and it easily takes your regulation kit (full body cover, map etc) plus more.

I seem to remember that I went for the Hammerhead partly on price, as the equivalent Camelback models were even more expensive than TNF's.

Isn't there a female-specific variant of the Hammerhead, called the Mako? Also, in retrospect I could have got away with the smaller Dogfish for most uses, although the size of the Hammerhead has never been a problem.

ive been looking at the north face dogfish, it looks like it can carry enough clothing like for races, but also some fluid. Ive still not taken the plunge and bought one though, i find my pb bumbag is ok for carrying clothing etc but not very good for carrying bottles of water and i have a karrimor raid which can carry 2 bottles, but no matter how tight I pull the straps, it bounces around too much and becomes annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post
    Some rucsacs have either an internal or external pocket for the hydration bladder, some don't. You'll just need to take a look inside them and see how they're set up. I use a Macpac Ultramarathon for hillwalking, and it can accomodate the hydration bladder on the outside at the back. In some bags you can lever the bladder into internal pockets for maps etc.

So don't go for the Hammerhead just because it has a specific hydration bladder pocket. That said, as noted on the "water water" thread, I'm happy with my Hammerhead for road and hill running, and it easily takes your regulation kit (full body cover, map etc) plus more.

I seem to remember that I went for the Hammerhead partly on price, as the equivalent Camelback models were even more expensive than TNF's.

Isn't there a female-specific variant of the Hammerhead, called the Mako? Also, in retrospect I could have got away with the smaller Dogfish for most uses, although the size of the Hammerhead has never been a problem.
    Thanks BM - I'll do a search on the Mako - I saw the hammerhead at a pretty reasonable price given that most places are asking £54.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post

Isn't there a female-specific variant of the Hammerhead, called the Mako?
    Wouldn't you know, its PINK

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    if it's not got an individual housing compartment for the bladder then surely it would swish around - sink to the bottom?
    I have used the bladder from my Camelbak in two Berghaus sacks I have. The Camelbak bladder has a plastic hook on the top that attaches to a string loop inside the top of the Camelbak to stop it working its way down as it empties. I just had to sew in a loop to my other sacks to hook the bladder onto and its perfect. As long as you make sure you get rid of ALL the air from the bladder before you seal it, it shouldn't slosh around. It takes a bit of practice at first (with the Camelbak bladder anyway) but makes the difference.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

The important thing is that the rucksac fits you. If you're going to be out long enough to need fluid, then you don't want a jiggly sac .

There are a lot of hydration sacs at Field & Trek. The Stormlites seem good value;

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/category...d=EQUIRUCKHYDR

Another tip is when not in use put your hydration bladder in the freezer .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I also had problems with bumbags - always seemed to get stitch/aching lower back - which I haven't had since switching to using a light rucksac/hydration pack. I mainly use a TNF sailfin (? the female version mentioned earlier) which is very light and stable. The only niggle I have with it is the shoulder straps aren't very well shaped and sometimes rub on my neck. I've also got a macpac hydropod (old one - I don't think they're made any more) which is bigger and can take some camera gear (ok quite a lot of camera gear...)aswell as waterproofs etc and which has also been fairly problem free

I got bought a Camelbak as a leaving present from work in 2002 and have used it consistently since then for biking, running, walking and canoeing. It has been covered in various different types of crud and still holds together well. It was weird running with a load of water on my back but I soon got used to it and now use it for 1hr plus runs - apart from when it's cold or wet and I've already drunk loads. Get one with a few little pockets and with bungy straps as they're really handy. Another consideration is the bounce factor - they do go up and down a bit when running so I've added a light waist strap to mine just to secure it. That said, all the Karrimoor and NF stuff I've had is brill as well.