Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NorthFace,Karrimor or Camelbak

Re: NorthFace,Karrimor or Came

anyone used one of those Nathan Elite 2v bumbags? it holds 2 one pint bottles and they are angled at 45 degrees to minimise bounce. Its also got 2 side pockets and you can get one that has a pocket between the bottles. I wondered if they worked or not as I'm thinking of getting one but don't want one if it bounces about.

I am also wondering about a hydration pack but a couple of things put me off, firstly a sweaty back and as someone else commented to get anything out of storage you have to take it off.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by marrow View Post
    There's a lot to be said for carrying an empty 1/2 litre bottle, and drinking from streams en-route, filling the bottle to drink as you head away from the stream.

Remember that 1.5l of water is 1.5kg!
    I use a 1ltr platy bottle for that, folds up to almost nothing

I did do a recce of the Ennerdale last year though carrying a full 2ltr platypus hoser on a really hot day (day before the race) and ended up drinking about 6ltr, so not sure how my new system will work as the days get hotter

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    You also have to stop to take anything out instead of just spinning a bumbag round to the front.
    Reading that has just made me feel really really stupid!

Cheers - Raymond

I have ordered the dogfish and am patiently waiting for it!

I have come to the conclusion that whilst I agree that yes a bum bag you can spin round to the front I think I'll stick to using it on training runs and shorter races if kit needed and no drink is being taken.

I know that if kit is in the back of a hydration pack it's more difficult to reach but figure it doesn't matter what it's in as if it starts pouring down etc you have to stop and fish it out and put it all on from whatever you've carried it in - can't make much difference really

gels and provisions can be reached as easily as the bumbag if you have a pack with side pockets, you just need to contort your arm round to get it!

Saturday at the Anni waltz my new Karrimor bumbag really got on my nerves. I had to tie it tight to stop it slipping and sliding (meaning I couldn't just spin it round) and to top it off lost my bloody water bottle. I only realised as I got to the last summit parched and needing a drink

Here's hoping the Dogfish is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I have ordered the dogfish and am patiently waiting for it!

I have come to the conclusion that whilst I agree that yes a bum bag you can spin round to the front I think I'll stick to using it on training runs and shorter races if kit needed and no drink is being taken.

I know that if kit is in the back of a hydration pack it's more difficult to reach but figure it doesn't matter what it's in as if it starts pouring down etc you have to stop and fish it out and put it all on from whatever you've carried it in - can't make much difference really

gels and provisions can be reached as easily as the bumbag if you have a pack with side pockets, you just need to contort your arm round to get it!

Saturday at the Anni waltz my new Karrimor bumbag really got on my nerves. I had to tie it tight to stop it slipping and sliding (meaning I couldn't just spin it round) and to top it off lost my bloody water bottle. I only realised as I got to the last summit parched and needing a drink

Here's hoping the Dogfish is the answer
    would be very interested to know how you find it, was thinking of getting one myself!

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    would be very interested to know how you find it, was thinking of getting one myself!

I'll gladly let you know Egor, I got this one for £28 so am pleased with it so far!!

Oh dear, i'm tempted to get something like this .... like i haven't got enough gear!
    I've got a 10L OMM rucksack which is ok for using a bladder, but its a bit to roomy if i'm just carrying body cover and a few jelly babies

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Oh dear, i'm tempted to get something like this .... like i haven't got enough gear!
    I've got a 10L OMM rucksack which is ok for using a bladder, but its a bit to roomy if i'm just carrying body cover and a few jelly babies
    And you call me

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I use a 1ltr platy bottle for that, folds up to almost nothing

I did do a recce of the Ennerdale last year though carrying a full 2ltr platypus hoser on a really hot day (day before the race) and ended up drinking about 6ltr, so not sure how my new system will work as the days get hotter
    Well for the race itself carried a 2ltr platypus, did not fill it up till Blackbeck tarn then there was no more water till the finish (missed source below Great Gable as I used a new line so don't know if it was still there)

A bum bag with a full 2ltr platy is not fun to race with seems to bounce all over the place mind you I soon emptied it (by Haystacks) so thanks to all the marshalls who had water!

I'm now thinking for races in that sort of heat and with the streams dried up a hydration pack filled from the start and a 1ltr platy to fill up at any streams on route (as well as refill the hydration pack) is a good idea.

Bill