Thread: sore calfs & feet for days

sore calfs & feet for days

H,

I'm getting back into running but I cant get out as much as I would like to. after a 4-5 mile run on the west pennines on saturday my calfs & top of my feet are still sore 3 days later.

I'm hoping as time goes by my recovery time will reduce so I can get out every other day!

is this a common thing when starting to train?

Re: sore calfs & feet for days

Static stretching!

You need to drain the lactic acid out of your muscles after a run. Did a course on this recently, its pretty much the basic thigh, calf and hamstring stretches with a couple of other less-known and obscure 'manouvres' for taking care of the ITB etc.

Hold them all for about fifteen seconds each.

I never used to bother, but since doing the course I just take ten minutes after each run to stretch properly and its reduced my recovery time considerably to the point where very long distances aside, I could probably get out to run every day. Prior to that, recovery was a real problem for me.

Also, depending on how often you are getting out, you might want to consider throwing in a 'recovery run' once a week.

All the stretches will be searchable on Google but I've got some diagrams and descriptions that I can scan and forward to you if you can't find them.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Try Albmaleaf Exercise & sports injury massage gel. www.albmaleaf.co.uk.

ok great, I'm thinking a recovery run will just be a short easy pace run?

I might do one tonight then as my legs are almost ok but still a little sore.

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    ok great, I'm thinking a recovery run will just be a short easy pace run?

I might do one tonight then as my legs are almost ok but still a little sore.
    Short and slow. I drop mine one notch below easy pace. The idea is to get the blood pumping a bit to help flush out the lactic acid build up. I always make time for one every week whenever I'm training for a distance event. They can be very worthwhile if you can spare the time.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

[QUOTE=simgreen78;312081]Static stretching!

I never used to bother, but since doing the course I just take ten minutes after each run to stretch properly and its reduced my recovery time considerably to the point where very long distances aside, I could probably get out to run every day. Prior to that, recovery was a real problem for me.

Also, depending on how often you are getting out, you might want to consider throwing in a 'recovery run' once a week.

That course was where I had the pleasure of meeting Simon!

Sefton - have you tried ice baths after a long run? Cold water straight from the tap is way cold enough - get in up to your waist (be sure to be wearing a few woolley jumpers and a bobble hat and it's a good idea to take a brew up with you!) and endeavour to stay in for 10 mins if you can (I ususally go for 15 but then I overdo everything). The theory (I think!) is that the constriction of the blood vessels helps to flush the lactic acid from your muscles and helps to reduce any immediate swelling. I find it hard to warm up afterwards, the jury is out with regard to having a hot bath afterwards (though Mo Farah does!) but another trick I've heard is to breathe in warm air - either from a hairdryer or over a bowl of hot water - as you would if you had a cold (or using a face pack!). It's omportant to warm up again quickly though so that your muscles are filled with blood again and thus all the goodies that aid muscle repair.

I'm really injury prone but I take recovery much more seriously now than I ever did. The following works for me: I try not to run on consecutIve days (apart from a really short, easy recovery run). I stretch after a run a la Simon. I have an ice bath after a long run and wear compression tights for a while. I cross train on the days that I don't run. Every 4th week I have a rest week where I reduce my running mileage and intensity but I keep up the cross training.

Anyway - good luck with it!