Thread: Survival bags

Survival bags

As I'm going to need one for the Hardmoors 55 I thought I'd ask what other folk carry for these sorts of events.

My old Karrimor bag weighs nearly half a kilo but I'm sure it's pretty effective. I would prefer something lighter but one that will still be reasonably effective should I actually need to use it.

Are lightweight mylar bags a waste of space in terms of effectiveness (like this one) or are they "good enough"?

Re: Survival bags

Not sure if it's really what you want, but the Alpkit hunka is very good.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    As I'm going to need one for the Hardmoors 55 I thought I'd ask what other folk carry for these sorts of events.

My old Karrimor bag weighs nearly half a kilo but I'm sure it's pretty effective. I would prefer something lighter but one that will still be reasonably effective should I actually need to use it.

Are lightweight mylar bags a waste of space in terms of effectiveness (like this one) or are they "good enough"?
    are you after a one use emergency bag if so then probably yes. however I used this one whilst waiting for a bg party to turn up and it ripped quite easily. It did it's job though.

I now have a heatshield bivvy and it's in my bag all the time. packs really small(about the same size as the Foil one.)

It's reuseable in a ripstop stuff sac.. foil/polyetherlene so it doesnt tear and has limited stretch. weighs 3.5.oz.

Originally reccomended by Emmy I think. Great piece of kit

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    are you after a one use emergency bag if so then probably yes. however I used this one whilst waiting for a bg party to turn up and it ripped quite easily. It did it's job though.

I now have a heatshield bivvy and it's in my bag all the time. packs really small(about the same size as the Foil one.)

It's reuseable in a ripstop stuff sac.. foil/polyetherlene so it doesnt tear and has limited stretch. weighs 3.5.oz.

I too have one of these. Invaluable kit, packs very small, and fairly cheap at £15. Highly recommended.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

That looks the business. A nice compromise between lightness & durability.

Cheers Ian.

Pete Bland an others sell a very basic one for a couple of quid- weighs very little and packs very small. Not very surdy but then if I use it I won't mind having to buy another and so far have carried it quite a bit and not even unpacked it.

I also went for a heatshield bivvy after seeing some recommendations on another thread. Definitely worth the investment and a lot cheaper then the one in your original link

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post

I like to separate what I need to satisfy the rules of an event from what I think I need to keep myself safe. If I just need to keep the organisers happy I take a plastic bag. It's got a label on that says "Lightweight Survival Bag" and weighs 3oz: from www.compasspoint-online.co.uk. Today's price £3.83 + P&P. I've never used it of course, but nobody can argue whether it's a survival bag as it's got the label that says so. If I think I might actually need to use survival kit (e.g. seriously alone on mountains in winter) then I wouldn't dream of relying on something like this though. I'm doing the Highlander Mountain Marathon in a month's time, for instance, and I'll be happy to be carrying half a tent and a down bag. For your event I'd be going with the 3oz bag though.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I carry one of these http://www.facewest.co.uk/Blizzard-Survival-Jacket.html

it's 250g but re useable and pretty tough. The beauty of it is that because it's a jacket rather than a bag you can still move in it and get yourself down but it warms you like a bag. It also doubles as emergency clothing. I also use a rule fulfilling foil blanket but always carry the jacket when I actually want some good kit.

I would like to point out that I work for facewest ( see link ) but it's not just a link plug I carry this jacket all the time and believe it's a very practical piece of kit.