Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leg strengthening runs

leg strengthening runs

I'm running my first ultra next month and I've been clocking up the mileage each week which has included some long runs and some hill runs. I plan to do 3 more long runs of 30 miles plus but was wondering what else to do in the next 4 - 5 weeks before I taper.

My present routine is to do about 10 miles on Sunday (mixture of road and forest tracks), about 25 - 30 miles on Tuesday (mixture of running/walking), about 10 miles on Thursday (again mixture of road and forest tracks) and about 6 - 10 miles on Saturday (usually walking - some running - up a hill of about 700m and running down, with some forest tracks).

I had hoped the above would really strengthen my legs and set me up for the ultra but I struggled on my recent 30 mile run/walk. So I would like to make the most of my next 5 weeks and apart from the long runs I plan to do can anyone recommend any other types of run I should be doing or should I stick to what I've been doing?

Thanks

Re: leg strengthening runs

I dont know if you have a bike or not but I realy rate cycling personally, It seems to have realy strengthened my legs over the past few months also great way to add miles without the post run soreness. Ive been doing 5 hours riding followed by a long run the next day and my legs feel loads fresher and more robust than when i was just running. Sometimes run in the morning followed by bike in the afternoon aswell gotta be of benefit for the longer stuff.

Suppose it depends on how much riding you've done before as starting something new can be a shock to the system and your bound to get a few niggles as you get used to it. Personally I have to realy watch I dont overdo it aswell, I seem to get to a decent load of training then always looking to fit more sessions in and end up doing to much.

Hope this ramble may of been of some use by the way.

SLovatt thanks for your reply.

I have done quite a bit of cycling in the past but haven't done so much over the past few months so that I could concentrate on my running.

I seem to be ok doing about 50 miles a week and I could add some cycling to that. I'm really looking to get the most out of the next 5 weeks in terms of strengthening my legs for the 50 odd mile race I'm doing and if doing some cycling would benefit I would be happy to try it. Equally I could just stick to the running but perhaps vary my runs if others think that perhaps hill reps would be a better use of my time

are your legs feeling bad because your doing too much?

Iain R had some good posts on a thread on training for ultras - I'll have a look - 30 miles every week as a long run sounds alot.

you could be going in the wrong direction,
    maybe you are struggling on the 30 milers because you are doing too many of them.
    20 is as much as you should do on a regular basis.

I'd suggest cutting back the long ones to 20 from here on in
    I think you'll strat to find you feel fresher and stronger as the weeks progress - that should give you more confidence.

Too many people think that if they are going to do a big event they have to train as close as possible to that challenge, its mainly due to a lack of confidence about being able to do it. So they try and prove to themselves that they can do the thing before the event. Thats a mistake, save it for the event, which is when all the training has to come together for the main performance, which will be hard but taper, preparation, adrenaline, support and determintaion carry you through the big day

give yourself a 3 week taper to the race

Thanks for the comments

ratfink - there wasn't any reference in the thread you mentioned to any posts from Iain R

ha you're right sorry - i just assumed there would be cos i'd read something by him one time

hmmm

might have been this
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ghlight=ultras

might have been some thread i can't find in the search thing cos i can't think of the title.

Hi to all,

Im new to the site and the 'official' fell running groups etc but have done quite a bit of running in the past for personal fitness. For leg strength improvement I have just carried out squats and then hit the hills for a variety of short fast reps and long slow up and down a local steep hill. This may or may not help but is food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    you could be going in the wrong direction,
    maybe you are struggling on the 30 milers because you are doing too many of them.
    20 is as much as you should do on a regular basis.

I'd suggest cutting back the long ones to 20 from here on in
    I think you'll strat to find you feel fresher and stronger as the weeks progress - that should give you more confidence.

Too many people think that if they are going to do a big event they have to train as close as possible to that challenge, its mainly due to a lack of confidence about being able to do it. So they try and prove to themselves that they can do the thing before the event. Thats a mistake, save it for the event, which is when all the training has to come together for the main performance, which will be hard but taper, preparation, adrenaline, support and determintaion carry you through the big day

give yourself a 3 week taper to the race
    Totally agree with that. I'm not an experienced runner, but did my first ultra a few weeks ago (and have now done two). Hadn't done anything over about 24 miles before that, but had done a couple of good hard 20 milers in preparation, including Tanky's. That made the first 20 miles of the ultra seem easy because of the relaxed pace, so I was nicely set up for the run in. Not sure this would apply to anything really long (like 40-50 miles) though.