Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

Just checked and CP are as 2010. Now I'm going to have to review my route at Cragg Vale (ascending back towards Sowerby), as wasted time and added distance here last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I'm looking forward to this now. I couldn't do it last year, ran 7:23 in 2009, and failed to finish twice in earlier years. Sub 7 hours on Saturday I hope. The weather forecast looks good. T-shirts and shorts anyone? It could be the first outing for my new Kendal Mint Cake shirt - this year's must-have item of sartorial splendour. And no, it's not actually made of Kendal Mint Cake, before anyone asks.
    Vest and shorts hopefully, was windy as hell last saturday up around Widdop res. Route is the same as the last two years apparently. Bring it on, looking forward to it now.
    Hills and Guinness!

Splatcher, if I could do it in 7:01 in 2009 you can easily smash 7 hours. Weather forecast isn't looking quite as good as it was. Expect showers, though it is looking to be warm.

fingers crossed for blazing sunshine please.

am i totally stupid to consider doing this in road shoes given its been so dry bar some rain on Sunday. do local peeps think it will still be claggy/soft. field paths round me are dry as a bone, bar odd bits collected from the bit of rain. I did HM55 in road shoes no probs. Picked my path carefully mind. Did the Hobble in trail shoes and was glad I did. Was surprised how muddy it was compared to Lincs.

ok, anyone got any route maps / links. i'm not a member of grough.

anyone know if entry on the day will be OK?

OK this is funny, as I'm as much a cyclist as a runner, (and do long/ultra dist triathlon in the summer eek! even tho my swimming is quite poor) but since its something i'm unlikely to ever be able to say again, I am currently the leader of the runfurther.com Ultra Champs!
    Last edited by Toyota_Crown; 06-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    am i totally stupid to consider doing this in road shoes given its been so dry bar some rain on Sunday.
    Am I totally stupid for having considered trying to reply to this post? Answer: yes. I've never owned a pair of road shoes in my life...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

am i totally stupid to consider doing this in road shoes ... Did the Hobble in trail shoes and was glad I did. Was surprised how muddy it was compared to Lincs.
    I think you just answered your own question. I've never done the CD, but I have the impression it's much rougher underfoot than the Hobble. I'd be interested to know from those who have done both.

And, like Splatcher, I've never owned any road shoes. Just trail shoes for around town.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 06-04-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

fingers crossed for blazing sunshine please.

am i totally stupid to consider doing this in road shoes given its been so dry bar some rain on Sunday. do local peeps think it will still be claggy/soft. field paths round me are dry as a bone, bar odd bits collected from the bit of rain.
    I haven't noticed it being very dry recently in Calderdale! I was up on part of the CH route this evening with the club, lots of mud around. Keep in mind that the route is certainly rougher than the Hobble and more off-piste.
    Last year I wore quite fell friendly trail shoes and they seemed ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    I haven't noticed it being very dry recently in Calderdale! I was up on part of the CH route this evening with the club, lots of mud around. Keep in mind that the route is certainly rougher than the Hobble and more off-piste.
    Last year I wore quite fell friendly trail shoes and they seemed ideal.
    Reccied from Pecket Well to Bacup on saturday, was muddy in places, plus more rain this week, roclites for me, wellies have a leak in them!
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    roclites for me, wellies have a leak in them!
    Roclites, yep that was what I wore. I tend to get a bit confused what things are called in the extensive Inov8 catalogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Roclites, yep that was what I wore. I tend to get a bit confused what things are called in the extensive Inov8 catalogue!
    I only know Roclites and Mudclaws, all the rest are confusing and i can't afford em, saving up for a new pair of wellies!
    Hills and Guinness!