Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

What a day. It was just like summer; the third Runfurther event, third sunny Calderdale in a row and third and final time on this route. I shall miss it like an old friend. It was the best one.

The sheltered climbs in full sun got a bit warm. As I struggled up the steep side to Stoodly Pike I met the photographer coming down at the end of her stint. It's nice to see the Sportsunday efforts on line once again. There are some cracking photos. I see Karen got another good summit photo.

Well done Zlod with the win. When you called out to me from the carpark as I ran the finishing straight I wanted to ask you if you got the win this year but couldn't; I was putting all my efforts into the 'sprint' finish.

Is the route changing then? Sorry not to stay and chat but we had to get back to family duties! Struggling to run on S Pike- but did manage a wry smile.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Is the route changing then? Sorry not to stay and chat but we had to get back to family duties! Struggling to run on S Pike- but did manage a wry smile.
    From the website:
    "The route is changed, usually every 3 years, thereby bringing in different parts of Calderdale and the Pennine countryside, into the day event which is appreciated by all the competitors. "

It's been the same for 3 years, but a completely different route in earlier years. Expect something new next year. It probably won't be any easier though!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Too hot for me this one. I said to Nick just after the start I was going to get some running in before it got too hot. Not sure it helped much as despite drinking loads with elete electrolyte in I cramped up just over the top of Thievely and slowed down the rest of the way.
    Got lost badly at that Cragg vale bit where everyone said it was difficult. Went right up the road then back down the other way. When I did find the path I went astray again and ended up in a boggy bit hopping barbed wire fences. Struggled to get my leg over a fence and got my shorts caught up in the wire, fell straight over it into a big puddle with half my shorts still on fence. Glad no one saw it, must've been a pathetic sight. Lost about 30 minutes with this and having a sit down at a few CPs.
    I need to practise running in the tussocks as everyone flew past me on these bits.
    Good race with plenty of refreshment and support. Thanks to the organisers.

Well done Zlod on the win and all that got around.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well done Zlod on the win and all that got around.
    ...and to Nicky, I believe she was first lady.

Well done Zlod and Nicky and everyone else, good pics from sportsunday as usual, well done on the sprint finish Nick, i blinked and nearly missed you
    Hills and Guinness!

Looking at them pics on the Runfurther Facebook page, some daft sod was in 4th position at the start, thought i was stood at the back cos everyone new the shortcut the other way. It didn't last long
    Hills and Guinness!

Well done to Nicky as well with the women's win. I've just found out here.

Steve you tease. It's all relative and you must have sluggish eyelids.

Fly, you paint an amusing picture over getting hitched, but not over the cramp. I think a few might have had similar problems in that heat. (I'm usually lucky in escaping it.) You still must have got round fast though. I don't recall seeing you at the finish.

Splatcher, they told me at CP10 (Foul Clough Road) that 'Number 1' was exactly 1 hour ahead of 'Number 2'. I couldn't believe you'd built up such a lead. I continued the conversation I'd started with the checkpoint staff last year about the Vitamin D-giving qualities of sunlight and not getting rickets, before eventually dragging myself away for the final 12-mile bimble. I finished 56 minutes after you. By 'eck, you must have slowed down to reach my level.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    By 'eck, you must have slowed down to reach my level.
    I certainly did. I was a wreck from the top of Stoodley to the end.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Steve you tease. It's all relative and you must have sluggish eyelids.
    I was a bit tired and just had my first pint of Guinness:wink:
    Seriously though, it's amazing no matter how knackered you feel you always find a bit more when you see the finish line. Thoroughly enjoyed my first Calderdale, will have to do it every year, it's only a 2 mile walk from my house.
    Hills and Guinness!