Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tan Hill to Kirkstone, Mayday

Tan Hill to Kirkstone, Mayday

Tyke & I are planning an attempt on Tan Hill to Kirkstone on Sunday 2 May (bank holiday weekend). If anyone cares to join us & make it a mass movement you'd be welcome - bring your own support party. I think we'll be aiming for around 11 hours, setting off at first light. I'll be consulting with Tony Wimbush about the best route, but if anyone can give advice on the best line from Tan Hill to Nine Standards that would be a great help.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Re: Tan Hill to Kirkstone, May

Hmm. May be interested. This is one I was looking at along with the Over The Hill route. I'll watch this space, as they say...

DB

We're booked in at Sykeside campsite by Brotherswater for the 3 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun). Saturday we'll check out the support points to make sure the support party (partners & my kids) know where they are, & where they can park. These will be the Cross Keys Temperance Inn on the A683 north of Sedbergh (GR698969) & Huck's Bridge on the A6 (GR552039), or High Borrow Bridge nearby. Saturday night Tyke & I will camp light at Tan Hill, leaving a car to be picked up on Sunday by the support party. I've consulted with Tony on the route options. All we need now is to survive the Edale Skyline & Highlander MM unscathed, & hope for reasonable weather.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Sounds like a good plan of campaign Splatcher. Make sure you leave time for cake at the cafe round the back of the Temperance Inn, it's a regular bike route stop for me and is highly recommended.

I'm looking at the Over the Hill route sometime late May depending on when I can persuade the Lonsdale BG support team to keep me company. I've not forgotten that I promised you some route notes in case you decide to have a do later in the summer.

Have a good run and don't hesitate to let me know if you need any additional local support.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    Sounds like a good plan of campaign Splatcher. Make sure you leave time for cake at the cafe round the back of the Temperance Inn, it's a regular bike route stop for me and is highly recommended.

I'm looking at the Over the Hill route sometime late May depending on when I can persuade the Lonsdale BG support team to keep me company. I've not forgotten that I promised you some route notes in case you decide to have a do later in the summer.
    Thanks tinyman. The cafe will be very handy for the support team, not sure I'll be able to take advantage myself much though. I usually run on jellies & water only to keep my stomach under control. Good tip though - we didn't know about the cafe. I'm hoping to fit Over the Hill in sometime in the summer, but my diary's starting to look a bit full.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Just waking up the thread in case anyone else wants to join us on Sunday 2 May. 43 miles, 10600 feet, but there's a pub at the end.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Last post before Tyke & I set off for the Tan Hill to Kirkstone run next Sunday (2 May). If you're up early & see 2 perky-looking runners around 9 Standards or Wild Boar Fell, that'll be us. If you see 2 dead-on-their-feet runners plodding across the Howgills late morning to lunchtime that'll be us too. If you find 2 comatose vagrants in the eastern Lakes around teatime please carry us to the nearest police station and hand us in. Last call if anyone wants to join us...
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Good Luck Andy and Tyke. Should be a great day out if it stays as dry. Look forward to hearing how it went.

Banned

What time are you setting off?
    Have you got any times for certain summits( Wild Boar/Howgills etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    What time are you setting off?
    Have you got any times for certain summits( Wild Boar/Howgills etc)
    Nothing like nailing your colours to the mast is there? Oh well here goes then - we have nothing to lose but our pride. Apart from our way, compass, tempers and strength of course. We're planning to set off from Tan Hill at 6am, and we'll be working to an 11-hour spreadsheet schedule that takes into account the distance and amount of climbing, but doesn't allow for difficulty underfoot or slowing down as we get more tired. This means that if we don't get ahead of the schedule initially, we're probably going to fall behind it later as we tire. I'll be very happy indeed if we get under 11 hours. I suspect it'll be more like 12. Here's the detailed schedule:

06:00 Tan Hill Inn
    07:02 Nine Standards
    07:39 High Peak
    07:58 High Seat
    09:10 Wild Boar Fell
    09:56 Cross Keys, A683 - support point
    10:53 The Calf
    11:14 Wind Scarth
    11:24 Docker Knott
    11:41 Uldale Head
    12:11 A685
    13:13 A6 - support point nearby at High Barrow Bridge on old A6