Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy saying hi !

New guy saying hi !

Hi all,

I am new to this site and to 'official' fellrunning so thought that I would take this opportunity to say hello and quickly introduce myself. Although I have always been into running through the years (for personal fitness only) it is only recently that I have been bitten by the fellrunning bug and am wanting to get into it more. I have been to the OMM twice but unfortunately 1st time it was washed out and 2nd time my team mate quit with injury at the 1/2 way point, so not a good success so far for me. I am however doing the Fellsman this year but would like to enter more to gain experience.

If anyone has any advice or tips on anything - races, training, equipment etc or you just wish to say Hi then it would be great to hear from you.

I am based in Herefordshire but work during the week in Dorset should anyone be around those areas and know any local races etc.

This seems a very helpful and friendly site so hope to make some mates on here.

Paul

Super Moderator

Re: New guy saying hi !

Hey Paul. Welcome to the forum. Can't help with Hereford / Dorset running but hello Good luck with Fellsman and enjoy your running
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks for the reply Derby Tup - I look forward to reading the threads and tapping into the advice of the 'masters' and even offering up some as well from my experiences.

Welcome to the site.
    I've spent 7 of the last ten years in Wiltshire and 'fell' type races are few and far between. Most of the ones I know are in Jan, Feb and Mar and tend to be called multi terrain or trail races. (Fjell being the old Norse for mountain, and a bit foreign to the Saxons down south)
    This is a good one in Apr
    http://www.chepstowharriers.org.uk/offa.htm
    I've heard there's some good racing in Shropshire and the Malverns.
    Google the running clubs like Cheltenham, Axe Valley runners and see what's on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    If anyone has any advice or tips on anything - races, training, equipment etc or you just wish to say Hi then it would be great to hear from you.
    Hello sore legs, Causey Pike is at the end of this month it's listed in the calendar as not being for novices so if you've done an OMM you should be ok. It's in the Lake District which is distance for you unfortunately, i've never done it before but it looks like fun.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Hello!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Hey up!

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I am based in Herefordshire but work during the week in Dorset should anyone be around those areas and know any local races etc.

This seems a very helpful and friendly site so hope to make some mates on here.

Paul
    Yes, lots of nutters on here, you don't have to be one but from what I've seen, it helps [I'm sure to get some abuse for that]

Welcome to the site, it's a brilliant source of information, and also banter, drivvel, whatever suits you

Herefordshire's not a million miles from Shropshire, which hosts a good number of fell races - for example, check out Mercia's website: http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/race_series

Enjoy !
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Hiya! Don't listen to most of the "masters".
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Hiya! Don't listen to most of the "masters".
    Wise words skenna!
    Poacher turned game-keeper