Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New guy saying hi !

Re: New guy saying hi !

Hi Multiterrainer,

Checked out that one at Eastnor - entry form printed off and in the process of filling it in. I ran up to the mentioned 'orrible' obelisk on Sunday and from where I started off - it was a bloody 'orrible' climb finishing going up steps just to add a bit of extra leg burn - but I doubt that section will be in the race though - well I hope not

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Hank,

Yeah I am looking forward to it - I have got a few personal goals that I want to achieve. Carried out map recces and it all looks pretty easy navigation apart from the middle section over the bog - but this is well documented!!

We shall have to see though - maybe I am being a bit naive but working on the simple speed / distance / time formula - I would not expect at completing in at an average speed of less than 3 mph (average walking pace) so should be under 20 hours but maybe there is something that will prevent that.
    Yeah, I'm working on a similar theory/hope... but I suspect it won't turn out to be that simple! I could see, say, taking 12 hours for the first 40 miles, I'd be well happy with that, but I think it's achievable if all goes well. However, I could equally see the following 20 miles taking 10 hours if the wheels start to fall off. 2mph with 40 miles already done could be good going... sore ITB a definite possibility, sore feet and fatigue pretty much a definite, nausea, cold and wet or hot and dehydrated... still though, I'm aiming for 20, expecting the worst and hoping for the best!
    Geoff Clarke

When I get time I need to have a good trawl throught the training threads as I have read that for a 60 miler, people are stating that they are training to 40 miles - now to me that is a 40 miler in one go - or is this 40 miles in a weekend or week - hmmm it will be interesting to know but me thinks that I will just continue with my own regime and try to fit in a couple of other events or even road races in just to either give me a happy feeling or really sew the seeds of doubt.

Yes, it means the long run is 40 miles in one go. I haven't picked up the courage to enter the Fellsman yet, maybe next year. But back in 1992 I did the Lyke Wake in just under 6 hours and my longest training run for that was about 26 miles. The hardest part of that was starting running again with a belly full of cold rice pudding at half way, that or watching Helene Diamantides race away to finish second overall.

When I get time I need to have a good trawl throught the training threads as I have read that for a 60 miler, people are stating that they are training to 40 miles - now to me that is a 40 miler in one go - or is this 40 miles in a weekend or week - hmmm it will be interesting to know but me thinks that I will just continue with my own regime and try to fit in a couple of other events or even road races in just to either give me a happy feeling or really sew the seeds of doubt.
    I think you're right in that you've got to go with what suits you best. I've read a lot of really interesting stuff on here and taken the bits that seem like they might work for me. I plan on doing the Lyke Wake Walk about four weeks before the Fellsman... that's about 40 miles and I'll be aiming at a steady pace, getting round in around 10 hours, hopefully not much more. For me it's as much a psychological thing as physical... I need to know 61 miles is possible! Which if 40 doesn't kill me, I think it will be.

Outside of that I'm aiming to do 15-20 miles a week on the road and then a "long" run at the weekend off-road, something in the region of 15 miles. Some weekends though I'm orienteering, which isn't as good for distance, but does give me a good 1-2 hours of more intense running.
    Geoff Clarke

A couple of useful bits of info regarding the fellsman....

Firstly the food is superb, with 8 food stops during the day/night. Really really top quality stuff too with loads of variation and specifically loads of stuff thats easy to get down. Not just sandwiches, malt loaf and cake but one food stop might do rice pudding and jam, another baked beans, another pasta with sauce and another soup and well all sorts really - it should really change its name to the stuffyourfaceman

Secondly the route throws a huge chunk of the total climb at your right off the bat - Ingleborough, Whernside, Gragareth and a steep half of Whernside again all pretty much back to back in the first 20 or so miles. You will reach a point after say 4 hours where your legs are already feeling laggy and yet you still might have anything between 12 and 16 hours of running/walking/staggering yet to go . That said all those food stops really kick in and help and hey presto you just keep going and reeling in the checkpoints one by one.

It is a really superb event.

But, whispers, with an average drop out rate of 40%!

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I think you're right in that you've got to go with what suits you best. I've read a lot of really interesting stuff on here and taken the bits that seem like they might work for me. I plan on doing the Lyke Wake Walk about four weeks before the Fellsman... that's about 40 miles and I'll be aiming at a steady pace, getting round in around 10 hours, hopefully not much more. For me it's as much a psychological thing as physical... I need to know 61 miles is possible! Which if 40 doesn't kill me, I think it will be.

Outside of that I'm aiming to do 15-20 miles a week on the road and then a "long" run at the weekend off-road, something in the region of 15 miles. Some weekends though I'm orienteering, which isn't as good for distance, but does give me a good 1-2 hours of more intense running.
    just to stick my two peneth in.

Don't get hunk up on distance, Please remember that the LWW is alot flatter than the fellsman which although as Stolly says gets the big ones over early is still hill after hill after hill.

you must get some big hill days in also.

Hi Multiterrainer,

Checked out that one at Eastnor - entry form printed off and in the process of filling it in. I ran up to the mentioned 'orrible' obelisk on Sunday and from where I started off - it was a bloody 'orrible' climb finishing going up steps just to add a bit of extra leg burn - but I doubt that section will be in the race though - well I hope not
    Although I'm sure it'll all be a 'pleasant lower slopes of the Malverns' type route it's the 'orrible' climb up to the obelisk that I'm looking forward to most.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

Don't get hunk up on distance, Please remember that the LWW is alot flatter than the fellsman which although as Stolly says gets the big ones over early is still hill after hill after hill.

you must get some big hill days in also.
    IDP - I agree with you on the distance thing - In line with my work I have completed numerous arduous events - 40 milers in boots and a 40lb bergen and nothing can compensate for the elevation climb for training. The distance thing for me is that I have not covered 62 miles as a oner as a race but the distance does not really phase me as I do believe that the the pyschological side plays a large part, naturally along side the physical. Best find a second hand shop that sells big brass balls !!

I would still like to participate in a 40 miler as a banker before hand though and I think that it would good prep - nothing beats miles and elevation gain for training - except a bag of chips and a pint.

Super Moderator

sore legs, Calderdale Hike is on Sat April 11. Its about 36ml and wouldn't make a bad training run for the Fellsman There's a link from www.runfurther.com
    Poacher turned game-keeper