Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Partner.

Training Partner.

Hello Everyone, After going out today up Ringing Roger it has finally dawned on me what has happened to me over the last 18 mths. I have been really ill with my Bipolar and with that and the change in Meds all of which make me put on weight over the last 18 mths. I am some 7 stone overweight and all my fitness has gone. We are talking 15 minute mile pace which i find embarrassing and when i see what a mess i am i also feel embarrassed to meet any of you. I live in Killamarsh near Sheffield and have a car and also use Virgin Gym in Sheffield. I am too embarrassed to go to my club Dark Peak because of the state of me. I really really want to lose this weight and get fit back to the long distance runner i was in my late teens early twenties. So i was wondering if anyone would want to train with me as i would find it really beneficial having company. If anyone is interested PM me. I would be very appreciative. I am 40 at the end of the year i don't want this to carry on into my 40's as i might not see 50. Cheers Everyone.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

Master

Re: Training Partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
    Hello Everyone, After going out today up Ringing Roger it has finally dawned on me what has happened to me over the last 18 mths. I have been really ill with my Bipolar and with that and the change in Meds all of which make me put on weight over the last 18 mths. I am some 7 stone overweight and all my fitness has gone. We are talking 15 minute mile pace which i find embarrassing and when i see what a mess i am i also feel embarrassed to meet any of you. I live in Killamarsh near Sheffield and have a car and also use Virgin Gym in Sheffield. I am too embarrassed to go to my club Dark Peak because of the state of me. I really really want to lose this weight and get fit back to the long distance runner i was in my late teens early twenties. So i was wondering if anyone would want to train with me as i would find it really beneficial having company. If anyone is interested PM me. I would be very appreciative. I am 40 at the end of the year i don't want this to carry on into my 40's as i might not see 50. Cheers Everyone.
    Not free all the time but in the summer sure once or twice a week.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Well, Herakles, that's one of the most touching posts I've ever read.

It strikes me you know exactly where you are and what you need to do.

That valley at Edale is gorgeous and, if you've had as good a day there as here in North Yorkshire, I can see how you will have seen things so clearly.

Spring has finally arrived after what feels like a very long winter and there's new life growing. Good luck and good health to you.

This is a bit of a difficult post to answer without sounding patronising. My depression's really been kicking me in the family jewels over the past year so i can empathise with your sense of low self worth but i have no idea about the medication side, first thing i'd do is to get to your GP and report the ill effects your current meds are having and try to insist on an alternative. Your post reads as if this is the root cause rather than diet etc. so i'd start there. Personally i'd rather be depressed and running than constantly wired on uppers and depending upon them rather than something else.

Don't be too embarassed to get in touch with DPFR, just think of them as total strangers who don't know you so it's not too far removed from posting on here for example. I know they're pretty $hit hot in the fell running world but my experience of fell runners is that they're decent folk and i'd imagine you're not the first person to approach them in order to lose a few stone. Don't bother with any of these stupid frigging 'celebrity' diets either, most of them are vain wrong'uns putting out the wrong messages, if you're going to change your diet drastically do so with some sound advice....possibly from the 'today's soup' thread, there's no end to what you can turn into soup and it's good low calorie high vitamin scran.

Try not to think of BPD as a death sentance, if you manage this blip properly you'll be sorted and running again pretty soon. I'm a 30yr old casual smoker with a family history of both heart disease and cancer so i don't expect to see my pension frankly. It's difficult to always have a positive outlook on life especially when some smart ar$e is telling you "life's what you make it", i hate that phrase; just go for a happy medium and plod along, that's what i do.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I admire your bravery at being able to post.
    Any minute mile is better than NO mile at all....SO A BIG WELL DONE TO YOU FOR HAVING THE GUTS TO GIVE IT A GO!
    No one should judge you and if they do, well they are not worth worrying about. If you want to join a club then go for it. I hope you meet some nice friends that will help you along the way.
    All the best
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Thank you everybody for your lovely posts. You are all very kind.

Matt.

Matt,
    What was it like up at Ringing Roger? I'm doing the Skyline on the 21st. I did a recce last month in the fog, plenty of snow around then and the ground was frozen hard, which made for good running.
    Another glorious spring day up here, so I'm off out to recce part of the Blubberhouses 25 and get some sunshine.

It was fine and clear not overly muddy and boggy but that will change if weather continues. Wee bits of snow where sun has caught them but nothing to write home about. If you are fit enough and get the weather as it is at the moment 1st half will be about as good as it gets. Now i didn't go on the 2nd half today or any other day but based on if the weather continues its improvement then the already very boggy part 2 will be suitable for going bog snorkelling rather than fell running. I hope you do well i wanted to do it as most favourite place ever Edale but unfortunately my body and mind have let me down this time.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Had a long run on Sat in the Troller'sTrot, but know I need more hill and speed work (no change there).
    Sorry to hear your news. I hope you can get out on the hills for a bimble, though, for some fresh air and sunshine.

Matt

I went up ringing roger on sunday - first mile took me 15min, 2nd mile took me 19minutes - i jogged back to my car in hathersage via win hill and shatton moor - overall average 13min miles.

Ringing Roger is a gert big hill - most anyone is going to walk up - 15min miles is about Bob Graham pace so don't be down.

I jogged 12.5 miles and my garmin says i used 932 claories i would surely lose some weight if i could only stop eating cake!

Bro Lad - there was massively less snow along that edge path the sunday just gone than the sunday befoer, though still a little bit in the gullies (but i'm guessing even less by next week- unless it snows). I do know a while back there was a lot of snow in the stream gullies that you cross if you are contouring round in the jacobs ladder region - don't know how much these will have cleared.