Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready 2 go!

Ready 2 go!

Just bought some fell running gear ,enterd a race and im ready to go !But first i thought i might ask the great and the good 4 some advice!
    Have been road running 2 -3 years have ran 10k's n halfs mainly .this year have decided 2 go off road and do some fell running! Basicly bought some inov-8 270's some mislite pants and shell wistle hat and a compass,forgot 2 get the gloves but ill deal with that later!
    . has any body steamed there inov8 to get an improved fit,or should i try them out first se how they go on race day?
    .And as a rule how long must a race be ,to start thinking about packing some water with me ,the mislite bit james bond! bum bag and a coat all in 1dought there's room a bottle but so lite weight!
    And is there any way of geting the race map on a garmin ? Any how hope to be runnig fell,soon

Re: Ready 2 go!

Quote Originally Posted by RHYS B View Post
    Just bought some fell running gear ,enterd a race and im ready to go !But first i thought i might ask the great and the good 4 some advice!
    Have been road running 2 -3 years have ran 10k's n halfs mainly .this year have decided 2 go off road and do some fell running! Basicly bought some inov-8 270's some mislite pants and shell wistle hat and a compass,forgot 2 get the gloves but ill deal with that later!
    . has any body steamed there inov8 to get an improved fit,or should i try them out first se how they go on race day?
    .And as a rule how long must a race be ,to start thinking about packing some water with me ,the mislite bit james bond! bum bag and a coat all in 1dought there's room a bottle but so lite weight!
    And is there any way of geting the race map on a garmin ? Any how hope to be runnig fell,soon
    try them first, I never have problems with fit
    Water depends on you, how fast you are runing, weather and terrain, Check route for a stream, 90 mins unless midsummer.

Thumbs up Re: Ready 2 go!

thanks 4 the advice

I fully agree with the water advice. Go low tech, there's nothing worse than carrying a heavy, bouncing bottle of water round a race.
    A couple of pints of decent beer the night before and plenty of water before the race, your stomach is better than a Camelbak and there's usually plenty of water on the fells (mind for dead sheep upstream, though).
    I'd only carry water for over 90 mins too, if it's a seriously hot day, or somewhere like Cyprus, where there's none to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    try them first, I never have problems with fit
    Water depends on you, how fast you are runing, weather and terrain, Check route for a stream, 90 mins unless midsummer.
    Stroll on! you're all psychos i'm parched after 30mins I remember coming down Ingleborough last year i had to stop and stuff my face in the beck at Crina Bottom, i can't go anywhere without by trusty bottle.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master

Ive done 6 hours on the RAB with no water
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

I don't drink much while running, or on the bike. Very personal thing.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Just got some 270's, did a quick run in em and the rubbed my heals so did the old steam trick (with the insoles out) managed to scald myself in the process popped the insoles back in, laced em up nice and tight and wore them around the house for a bit and they are now soooo much more comfy
    as for water I reckon anything much over 11/2 hours and the benefits of carrying water far outweigh the extra weight you will be carrying.

Im still not sure about the water ,ras y moelwyn is myfirst race is on april 17 th in blaeuna festiniog north wales with a mid day start. I might just wing it and go without a bottle .but mid day start it will get hot and sweaty !
    any ideas on how best to cary a bottle what hip bags ,hydration things the forum use when water is needed?

You'll probably get conflicting advice here, so in the end you'll have to find your own solution.
    Does N Wales get hot in mid April? Personally I wouldn't carry water for a medium distance race of 10.5 miles. When I do carry it on longer events, I have a bottle on a waist belt, but only half fill it,as I hate the thing bouncing around. Try different methods on ten mile training runs.
    Just adjusting my old fart flat cap
    This business of carrying water, energy drinks, energy bars, energy gels is a fairly recent fashion (or clever marketing). The older mob might have considered carrying a handful of raisins on longer distances and drink from a beck. Now I've heard people discussing where best to take their energy gel on a ten mile race in Wiltshire.