Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ready 2 go!

Re: Ready 2 go!

Quote Originally Posted by RHYS B View Post
    nnnoooo!!!! im 2 young 4 a cathetr inserted ,i agre with you two about the water , gels and so on its just im used to road running and mountines are,well step and fierce .!and there all the saftey gear and what shoe 2 use (have you seen the inov8 website!)its a lot decesions to do .its nice here from the forum ,that its all about the runnig and not the gizmos
    Its easy to get wrapped up in it all and become a slave to the latest designs/technology/products that are thrown your way, but at the end of the day folk have been running on the fells for decades and decades and done just fine. As long as you ensure you are a) safe and b) comfortable, then all the rest will fall into place. Sounds like you've already covered most bases, although you should invest in a bag if you are looking at racing longer term. You'd be surprised at how much you can get in a bum bag!

I run with an OMM 3 litre bum bag, into which I can get waterproof top, bottoms, compass, whistle, few scraps of food, mobile, map and a smaller water bottle if needed. 3-4 litres is plenty. Longer runs I take out an OMM 'Last Drop' 10 litre race sack.

Just get out there and as long as you stay safe, you'll naturally refine (and sometimes customise!) your kit as you gain more experience on the fells. Everyone has different needs!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Too true. The first fell shoes were more or less beefed up ballet pumps, since hob-nailed boots were the only other option available.
    Now I'm not actually that old, but my first running was cross country in the Army in the late 70s. We had to wear issue black pumps (known tongue in cheek as Army Spitfires), pressed sugar bag shorts and a singlet possibly made out of an old towel. When the new fangled Nike shoes, Helly Hansen and Ron Hill gear first appeared, they were rather frowned upon as a sort of cheating. Plus ca change.. (Can't be bothered finding the cedilla)

And on the subject of water, there's a whole thread:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10366

See, nothing new under the sun.

I recently bought a omm 7l bumbag. I would say it's too big unless your going on long runs with full kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    I recently bought a omm 7l bumbag. I would say it's too big unless your going on long runs with full kit.
    I'd agree. A pal of mine has the same one. Too big for general everyday running use, but it is very useful for the longer races and runs. Even with full kit I still have a bit of space in my 10litre race sack so 7litres is a good size for those days. And thats the one with the bottle holster isn't it? Bottle beats hydration bladder anyday for me.

But generally, 3-4 litres will do.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Thumbs up Re: Ready 2 go!

ok boys the good news ,just ran my first fell race , ran a moel tryfan a 3 mile race enjoyed the hills strugled going down though! enjoyed it,1 good work out. or
    the 1 thing that did anoy me was that my ankle cept rowling inwards causing the outside of my ankle 2 rub against the shoe if the race wouldv been longer it would have hurt like hell! is it a case of just tying my shoes diffrently ,any sugestions?

Super Moderator

It's well worth trying different lacing systems. I re-laced a pair of Walshes that were bugging me through the extra holes at the top recently and they are much snugger now
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Does N Wales get hot in mid April?
    It has been known, but I doubt this year will be, still snow on the tops yesterday! (living down the road from the Moelwyns)

yeah its been cold ,should be much beter by mid april,i hope!

did you tie them 2 the top D.t or do you loop lock them like they show on inov8 w site?