Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inov8 GTX or Sealskinz socks?

Inov8 GTX or Sealskinz socks?

Was walking in Calderdal today in my new Roclite 390 GTX and they managed to leak again despite dry conditions!!! Shall take them back, but wonder if I should ask for replacement or refund. Are GTX shoes a delusion? Is it better to avoid disappointment by using ordinary shoes plus waterproof socks as needed? Please share your experiences.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: Inov8 GTX or Sealskinz soc

Never tried the Inov8 ones, but I'm more than happy with my Timberland ones.... Uppers are now falling appart, but the goretex still does its job.

Are the 390s boots? Mine are shoes, and I do tend to wear sealskins with them if the day is very wet....

Super Moderator

I have a pair of North Face GTX walking shoes, which don't leak. This is sad as they can fill with water over the top and then it can't escape

I've got an old pair of Sealskins and they're horribly uncomfortable. I'm sure they're much better now as they seem popular in winter for walking and running
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Banned

I would best describe The Roclite 390 GTX as a lightweight walking boot, its light enough to run in though I wouldnt really suggest its for that....maybe "Fast n Light" walk the uphills and jog the downs.
    Best bet would be to get a "proper" off-road/fell shoe for your running.

If they are leaking take them back to the store you bought them.
    Personally I would always choose a non GTX shoe for running, if your concerned about getting wet feet you could try Sealskinz though I have found that even these arent waterproof when I have used them this winter.
    Last edited by Inov-8 Insider; 13-03-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    I would best describe The Roclite 390 GTX as a lightweight walking boot, its light enough to run in though I wouldnt really suggest its for that....maybe "Fast n Light" walk the uphills and jog the downs.
    Best bet would be to get a "proper" off-road/fell shoe for your running.

If they are leaking take them back to the store you bought them.
    Personally I would always choose a non GTX shoe for running, if your concerned about getting wet feet you could try Sealskinz though I have found that even these arent waterproof when I have used them this winter.
    I find Sealskinz socks both comfortable and waterproof. However, I suffer from cold feet, so don't over-heat in them. To preserve their waterproofness, I follow advice given me by an LDWA member: don't wash them! I wear thin liner socks inside them and very light ankle gaiters on top to keep them clean. If I had to wash them, I would try to get away with plain cold water.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Waterproof shoes??????????? When the top of your shoe goes beneath the surface of the puddle/stream/bog you are going to get wet feet. In very cold winter conditions I use some old porelle drys which are a thin neopreane type material. They are not waterproof but act like neopreane by warming the trapped water and preventing your feet from going numb which is the best I think you can ask for.

I prefer non GTX shoes and then use sealskins when I need then but have more breathability when it's warm. The sealskins are much thinner then they used to be but are still a squeeze in tight shoes. I have one pair of shoes that are half size bigger then the others for thick sock winter use but are still quite ok with thinner socks.
    Last edited by Facewest-Stu; 22-03-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Clarification

I got some Rocky waterproof socks from Canada, which are effectively a shell for your feet. So you wear them over a liner and they do work - but they aren't the most comfortable things.

And I b * ggered them up by washing them, so they aren't even waterproof any more.

I'm about to go walking in the Lakes with some mates but don't want to wear boots or gaiters so might try Sealskinz with my trail shoes.

Got the sealskins socks and used them for Edale Skyline as my new walsh's (spirit peak) seemed to suck up water, they were absolutely brilliant and kept my feet dry, even in the bogs over BK.
    I wear a size 9 shoe but decided to go with the 6-8 socks as I didn't want lots of excess material and they worked out well, felt a bit tight on the big toe at first but no problems during the race.

I've just got back from an 120-mile race in the Canadian Arctic where I used 390 GTX's and they were great. In combo with Injiji liners and Xtremities Toester socks my feet were never cold... however it wasn't wet obviously. But, I have used them extensively in training (mostly on and around Kinder) and have found them to be pretty good waterproofing wise. As II said they're really suited for fast 'n' light hiking or some walk/run action.... for anything quicker I always except that water will get in over the top of my shoes and would never go for a waterproof shoe.... If it's really cold a liner sock combined with sealskins works really well.