Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Immunity Boost Required

Immunity Boost Required

Hi all.

Had a bit of a rubbish time of it recently. My gall bladder had stopped working properly, which was making me ill, so I had that removed 5 weeks ago. I had a rough time of it afterwards with pain and ended up being in hospital for a while. Then I got an infection under one of my wounds and had to go on strong antibiotics. Just as I got over that I picked up a nasty case of flu that has laid me low for the last 6 days and seems to show no sign on getting better. I've had a high temperature for 5 days, I seem to have a chest infection, sinus infection and throat infection. So, on another load of antibiotics (I haven't had antibiotics for years now I've had two courses in a month! :thunbdown.

I think the reason I've been so hard hit by this flu, leading to several infections, is because my immunity is so low from the operation and subsequent infection. I'm also concerned that two courses of antibiotics will reduce my immunity.

So, not only do I need to boost my immunity to fight thses infections but I really think over the next few months I need to take positive action to boost my immune system. Knowing there's some healthy type bods on the forum I'm really hoping for some advice on this. I know the basics about fresh fruit and veg etc but was hoping for some other specific ideas to get me back on track (or the fells as the case may be).

Many thanks

Re: Immunity Boost Required

I am watching this with interest, as I am in a very similar position to yours Flopsy, minus the chest infection etc and second course of antibiotics... Operation/infection/antibiotics/flu/stomach bug/more flu... all in the time span of the last 3-4 months while I am normally never ill. I also need an immune system boost as I reckon it is low because of the general anaesthetic and healing...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

You have my sympathies it feels never ending doesn't it. I've been off work for the last 5 weeks and other than a period of about two weeks when I could walk the dog I've not been out the house much at all. It's driving me nuts.

....waiting for some ideas (pretty please...)

Don't underestimate flu, it's a very nasty bug, being laid low for 6 days sounds completely par for the course to me. I've had flu twice and it took me at least 6 weeks before I felt it was clear of my system. So don't panic on that.

As for all the other problems, if there's no underlying medical condition which hasn't been picked up, your body is run down and knackered, you've had an operation for heavens sake! Rest, sleep, good food and be patient. Don't even think about training until you wake up one sunny morning and say "I really, really feel like going for a run". DON'T, have a brisk walk instead and take it from there. Think in terms of weeks or months, not days.

You'll come right in the end, and the same goes for Hanneke - there's no miracle cure or pill - just time and rest.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I use Hopi Ear Cadles which help to clean out the sinus's, this was first done by my osteopath but is quite easy for anyone to do( you cant really do it to yourself). I have been told this is the place that most air borne diseases get into our system. By keeping them clean and free of wax etc there is less chance of the virus/bacteria getting attached. I also have something called citricidal which is extract of grapefruit seed. This seems to help if you feel your coming down with something but is the worst tasting substance on earth. Hope this can help.

Dan

May not be quite what you are looking for, but I use Vicks first defence when I feel the signs of a cold coming on. Haven't come down with one since I started using it. Only any use against cold viruses, but seems to give your immune system a head start in dealing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    I know the basics about fresh fruit and veg etc but was hoping for some other specific ideas to get me back on track (or the fells as the case may be).
    )
    I would recommend reading Aggressive Health by Mike Nash.

Master

Eat a wide variety of different coloured vegetables and fruit. Do not forget nuts/seeds/leaves. For protein, eat oily fish/crab rather than meat; if you like meat eat free-range/organic as grass fed meat is so much better for you. Do not think that you should cut down dramatically on carbs as you are doing so little - if you have an infection and/or healing wounds your metabolic rate will be raised, so eat low GI carbs such as porridge, brown rice, wholemeal bread. Do get out - rug up and go for a walk - sunshine is good for us as is fresh air. If inside for long periods, read a book rather than spend hours on the computer or watching TV.

Good luck - you will get there.

Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like there's no secret immunity boosters then. Oh well, guess I was being too optimistic then

I am trying to eat well, although I was unable to each much of anything for the first few weeks due to to nausea. Flu has also robbed me of my appetite. Forcing myself to eat but it's not easy. Think I've lost about 8lbs so far since the op - not the healthiest way to lose weight.

When I've not been in too much pain I have been going out for daily walks with the dog. Not had the energy to leave the house since getting the flu and chest infection though - but been out in in the sunshine today

Onwards and upwards I guess. Only time will heal. Though received a letter from my employer telling me that my period of sick pay is about to run out. Nice. Thanks for that. Not even a 'hope you get better soon' :angry:. I'll go back when I'm better even if that means no pay. Health is more important.

Anyway, ta all.

Flopsy,

Nobody has mentioned Echinacea yet which is surprising; I know that some people swear at it and others swear by it but, without wishing to start a debate on 'does it' or 'doesn't it', it could be worth a try and you only have cash to lose!