Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleaklow Blizzard Survivors

Question Bleaklow Blizzard Survivors

A quick question to all our team of hardy arctic trekkers (IDP, SS, Em, Muddy, Andy) from the HPM recce on Friday 26th February and the snow up to the chuff 'oles 'experience' that ensued. I still have a slightly tinglely/numb big toe (although it is improving bit by bit) from the extreme exposure to the blanket snow drifts that we hacked through for hours and hours (and hours). Does anybody else have any as yet still unthawed, borderline frostbitten bits?

Re: Bleaklow Blizzard Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A quick question to all our team of hardy arctic trekkers (IDP, SS, Em, Muddy, Andy) from the HPM recce on Friday 26th February and the snow up to the chuff 'oles 'experience' that ensued. I still have a slightly tinglely/numb big toe (although it is improving bit by bit) from the extreme exposure to the blanket snow drifts that we hacked through for hours and hours (and hours). Does anybody else have any as yet still unthawed, borderline frostbitten bits?
    erm non that i'm willing to talk about
    It may be you got some frost nip. was it painful after it was rewarmed. No blisters etc. If it continues I would get it checked out, it was very cold that day.

Stolly,
    I used to do months worth of Arctic warfare training and have spent up to 4 days out at temperatures down to -38 celsius.
    If your toe is tingly and pink, it's a good sign. You probably got away with just frost-nip. If it's numb, white and waxy in places, you're on your way to frost-bite (I'm not talking about lumps of dead skin that runners build up but the flesh itself). If bits of flesh have turned black you've arrived at the Rannulph Fiennes 'Black and Decker' stage or you should see a doctor.
    Norwegian officers used to stick pins into the feet of their soldiers at the end of each day, the ones who shouted were the ones not to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    If bits of flesh have turned black you've arrived at the Rannulph Fiennes 'Black and Decker' stage or you should see a doctor.
    Please note, This is not to be confused with peak bog toes. A common occurence when running through miles of the finest peat.

Actually, I did almost insert that as an afternote. I'd hate to be the cause of a spate of Black and Decker DIY amputations just because of some discoloured skin. It's the black, rotting flesh you need to worry about. People will mention it to you on the train, because of the smell.

BTW Ian, saw Dave T this morning. He won't be at the Skyline as he is still protecting his injury.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 18-03-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Actually, I did almost insert that as an afternote. I'd hate to be the cause of a spate of Black and Decker DIY amputations just because of some discoloured skin. It's the black, rotting flesh you need to worry about. People will mention it to you on the train, because of the smell.

BTW Ian, saw Dave T this morning. He won't be at the Skyline as he is still protecting his injury.
    Have you read Brummy Stokes "Soldiers and Sherpas" funniest story ever with regards to frostbite amputations, involving nurses, a dog, an a curry!!!!!!! brilliant

Don't worry Stolly I'm sure your toes are fine

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Aye, tips of big toes (mainly L) still numb. Not black, nor smelling...least no more'n usual!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Sounds like frost-nip. I've had it at the tip of my right ear for 30 years. Nothing to be done about it. It stings alot when it gets cold. You may have lost some of the fine capillary circulation at the tip of the toes, so it's not dead, but it's not quite as alive as it ought to be either.
    They'll be more vulnerable to further damage the next time you expose them to the cold.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 18-03-2010 at 04:27 PM.

It's the black, rotting flesh you need to worry about. .
    Whereas real bog is black, rotting vegetation
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Have you read Brummy Stokes "Soldiers and Sherpas" funniest story ever with regards to frostbite amputations, involving nurses, a dog, an a curry!!!!!!! brilliant
    IDP

If you passed through Rheged whilst the Everest Exhibition was on, you would have seen the amputated items themselves, in a nice glass case.

Brummy kept them in his attic for old times sake, and let them out to be shown off to the paying punters.

My kids thought they were ace.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.