Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highland Fling

Highland Fling

Anyone else doing this?

It's a 53 mile ultra along the first half of the WHW.

Of those who are, is anyone staying the night in Tyndrum?

I'm wondering where to stay, the best option at the moment seems to be'By the Way' Hostel.

Cheers

Iain

Master

Re: Highland Fling

Hi Iain I am doing the fling but hoping to get back to Milngavie on saturday.

Still trying to sort travel logistics from Cumbria i.e coach, train or own transport.

Can`t offer any advice on overnight stops in Tyndrum, as it is a place i only ever pass through, in fact i went through there today on the way back from Lochaber Marathon.

Hope you find somewhere
    John
    The older I get the Faster I was

There is a bunkhouse/hostel now in Tyndrum. Also camping and wigwams at the same place. Plus you can stay in the Green Welly rear car park if you're in a camper or motorhome.
    Otherwise there's a few b and b's and a couple of hotels.
    The Real Food Cafe does excellent fish and chips.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 24-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Master

Ah forgot real food cafe and i can agree with clodhopper, just a thought how easy is BB to find in Milngavie anybody know please.

Cheers,

I've booked into the by the way hostel now in Tyndrum.

In Milngavie I googled 'Milngavie B & B' and got a list, I think here:
    http://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/Web+...H?OpenDocument

Then called a few. I'm staying some place called Ballock Inn or something, one of the B&B's I found was full but told me to call them, bit pricey though as £30, most were £20 ish.

Hopefully will be over Jet lag after arriving back from Australia yesterday, but not looking forward to it too much. Not ran more than 15 miles for a good while.

Master

Just back from a most satisfactory run on the 53 mile Highland Fling race found it to be an an extremly well organised event.

And my confidence for the full WHW race in june has been well and truly boosted.

The race was won by Jez Bragg in 7-26-15 pretty good going the week after placing third in Lochaber Marathon.

I really enjoyed it. Finished in 8:56, 4th bloke, 5th overall, was up to 3rd heading into Beinglas farm after 40 miles, but had to stop for a shit and was overtaken, but I got very dehydrated on that section so really slowed up. I tried to keep up with Lucy as she passed me there too, but dropped away after 2 minutes, the farmer asked me "you're not going to let a wee lassie beat you, are you?", I think I just wimpered, thankfully I hit Derrydarroch a few minutes later and poured a load of water down my neck, after 10 minutes I then got my stride going again, but had lost too much ground on those ahead of me. To be honest all those ahead off me were running far better than me, I only managed to get up the field as I managed to keep a reasonable pace on the rougher parts of the loch, as soon as we hit the good trails they pulled away. Amazingly, after drinking from some dodgy streams running through fields with cows in it, I still havn't been ill.

Hate to complain about the Scottish sun, but as soon as I got out of the cover off the trees after and during Loch Lomond, I was baking. Such a lovely day, just not the sort of day you want to run 53 miles on. Well organised, happy with my time, but let myself get too dehydrated and then didn't stop long enough to rehydrate as I didn't want to lose time, a lesson learnt there.

Highland Fling Ultra

Is it on next year?

Any idea of the date?

Considering applying for 3 peaks, but it's about the same time as the HF was last year.

Cheers

Iain

Master

Re: Highland Fling Ultra

Yep it`s on Sat 26th april i have entered it and will be making my way from Tyndrum after the the Fling, to Fort Bill to run the Lochaber Marathon on Sun the 27th, thought i may as well make a weekend of it.

The Devil is on August the 9th i am doing that as well.

Re: Highland Fling Ultra

How did you enter?

This site is down?

http://www.highlandflingrun.co.uk/

I'll try and find Ellens email, is she still organising?