Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Race - Glencoe

New Race - Glencoe

Plans are in the early stages to organise a race to raise funds for the Glencoe and Oban Mountain Rescue Teams. Its working title is The Two Inns and will start at Creggan Inn (North of Oban) follow the tops along Loch Creggan eventually coming down into Glen Leach Na Muidhe and Glencoe, finishing at Clachaig Inn (fine selection of real ales!). It is approximately 24.3km and has 1,777M of ascent. I will recce it in full shortly and post more info, but the proposed dates are either 15th/ 22nd August or 17th October. Rescue team members will provide support.

A route map and profile is attached, your comments would be appreciated.

Re: New Race - Glencoe

Having fallen hook line and sinker for Glenco (and the whole of the north west highlands) last summer, I could be game for this, especially if the race is in August. Red Squirrel camp site just down the lane from Claghaig Inn too

Looks great. I like point to points, would be great with a lovely so'westerly behind you.
    Can mean more work for you, though. Start and finish have to be set up in 2 separate locations. 2 car parks, 2 sets of loos etc, are you going to provide transport back to the start or is it to be self supporting? If self supporting, some runners might leave a car at the finish and share one to the start, so the finish car park would need to open very early. As you probably know, the actual running bit in the middle is usually the easy bit to organise.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 25-03-2010 at 03:14 PM.

I'd love to do this race; a beautiful area and a good cause. I've passed through Glencoe a few times but not had an excuse to visit it.

I hope you manage to pull it off

Stef
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Looks a good one to do.

Couple of date clashes - 15th August, Lomonds of Fife and 17th October, FRA relays from Falkland.

Master

Will you put an age limit on it or because it wont be FRA registered will there be an open age limit
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Had many a fun winter in Glencoe. Stayed in one of the bunk houses at the Clachaig inn once. Lots of Whiskys to try! Sounds like a good weekend.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

The dates seem ok for me at the moment. It looks like a great route in an area I have never visited. Looking forward to getting final details.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by LME View Post
    Plans are in the early stages to organise a race to raise funds for the Glencoe and Oban Mountain Rescue Teams. Its working title is The Two Inns and will start at Creggan Inn (North of Oban) follow the tops along Loch Creggan eventually coming down into Glen Leach Na Muidhe and Glencoe, finishing at Clachaig Inn (fine selection of real ales!). It is approximately 24.3km and has 1,777M of ascent. I will recce it in full shortly and post more info, but the proposed dates are either 15th/ 22nd August or 17th October. Rescue team members will provide support.

A route map and profile is attached, your comments would be appreciated.
    Looks a great race looks like its going to be about 15m 5800ft there or there abouts, hope it goes well getting the race in the calendar
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Thanks for your thoughts, trying to avoid a clash with other races is really difficult, I tried to make sure I didn't clash with any SHR races or Longs. Lomonds of Fife is a great race may have to try to avoid that although I could save a few folk from grass friction burns to their rear from that crazy final decent.

Clearly loads to do, completely forgot about toilets. I will recce it over the Easter holidays and post more info then