Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Llanbedr – Blaenafon

Llanbedr to Blaenavon

hello all anyone know the date of the LLto Blaen race this coming year? I would like to start training on this after Christmas if anyone is interested in running/walking slowly...i know the course ran it year before last. cheers Charlie

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey!

Re: Llanbedr to Blaenavon

Don't know the date, but should be similar time of year to 2007. Happy to recce it with you
    Striving for mediocrity

Hopefully I have an excuse as I'm intending to be away skiing - if it falls where it has in previous years it'll be Saturday 22 March (but I could be wrong!)

great! i am going to start training for this after Christmas - so up for running it in sections - starting with the first mountain and then joining up Crug Mawr and Sugar loaf etc. (am not fast though)....a novice!

will be running the Blorenge this weekend - as it is part of the south wales winter series if you are there?

Does anyone know the route / CPs for this? I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but i cannot find it.

david

5th April according to the WFRA calendar.

Start at the Church in the centre of Llanbedr, then up to the summit of Crug Mawr followed by the Sugar Loaf and then the Blorenge. Finish at Blaenavon rugby club.
    Striving for mediocrity

Cool Re: Llanbedr to Blaenavon

Check points are at Crug Mawr Summit, then in valley between Crug and Sugar Loaf to ensure correct route is followed through farms plus another one on the Western ascent of Sugar Loaf. You're on your own then until the road crossing by the little church at the western edge of Llanfoist where the lane leads up to BLORENGE!! Another CP on Blorenge summit and then more terror in the badlands of the open cast works until its trial by Council Estate Alsatian en route to the Leisure Centre at Blaenafon

There are LOTS of fabulous chances for going wrong. Most people are OK as far as Sugar Loaf because you can usually follow a local. But you can seriously cock it up coming off Sugar Loaf....I do my best to shake off any followers down there! This can lead to a miserable urban orienteering session in the back streets of Abergavenny. Even a local can get lost in the open cast works above Blaenafon because BLORENGE has the ability to disorientate by knackeredness!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Check points are at Crug Mawr Summit, then in valley between Crug and Sugar Loaf to ensure correct route is followed through farms plus another one on the Western ascent of Sugar Loaf. You're on your own then until the road crossing by the little church at the western edge of Llanfoist where the lane leads up to BLORENGE!! Another CP on Blorenge summit and then more terror in the badlands of the open cast works until its trial by Council Estate Alsatian en route to the Leisure Centre at Blaenafon

There are LOTS of fabulous chances for going wrong. Most people are OK as far as Sugar Loaf because you can usually follow a local. But you can seriously cock it up coming off Sugar Loaf....I do my best to shake off any followers down there! This can lead to a miserable urban orienteering session in the back streets of Abergavenny. Even a local can get lost in the open cast works above Blaenafon because BLORENGE has the ability to disorientate by knackeredness!
    Thanks Wheeze. Have to get the map out and do some studying. Got any GRs?

Errmmm.........GRRRRRR. Is that OK??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth