Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Llanbedr – Blaenafon

Re: Llanbedr to Blaenavon

I have it good authority that Toffer may be taking a gentle jog from the foxhunter car park to the top of the BLORENGE in time to hurl abuse at the dying bodies heaving themselves up the last incline. You could make it a joint effort!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

oooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Had a somewhat impromptu drinking session Friday night (+early Saturday morning!) so decided that L-B was not what was required by way of a hangover cure!

100% Pure Wuss!!

Anyroad up, perfect day for the race. Dryish underfoot with a biting cold northerly to blow us home. I am offically now very slow, having lost the will to live half way up Blorenge, accompanied by some spectacular gastronemii spasms.

But enough of that, yesterday was noteworthy because this was the 28th and Last Llanbedr to Blaenafon race to be organised by Gareth Buffett. Such long service in the tortu....enjoyment of others is noteworthy in itself. But the first L2B race in 1980 established fell running in South Wales and was the impetus behind all other races that followed and the creation of fell-specific clubs, notably Mynnyddwr De Cymru (MDC). So the fell running establishment at large owes a debt of gratitude to Gareth. It was entirely fitting that his last race as organiser was won by his son, Rhodri.

As for the event itself.....I'd be glad if I never saw the Blorenge ever, ever, ever again!!!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks for a very fun day on the L2B. The way up Blorenge was certainly a test for the head and legs :-). Am glad that I didn't know that before I started the climb. Now hobbling with some large blisters from putting orthotics in my shoes for the first time (a bad mistake!). Cheers all.
    Be what you wanna be !

novice

Llanbedr – Blaenafon

I'm in the area when this is on

Anyone done it can tell me what its like?
    Is the nav hard?
    Do you actually run through Abergavenny itself?
    Is there transport to get to the start?
    Is it entry on the day?
    Worth the trip over the border from Hereford?

Cheers

novice

Re: Llanbedr – Blaenafon

anyone done it?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Tried a search?

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...light=Llanbedr
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...light=Llanbedr

Nav is easy enough if you've got decent visibility & as with any race LK is a huge advantage.

When I did it many, years ago, I posted the organiser a scanned map & sae to mark out the route.

Good race with a sting in the tail .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I've previously marked out the route here:

http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/...tes/show/11104

Checkpoints are:
    Start Llanbedr Church SO239203
    CP1 Crug Mawr SO262226
    CP2 Gate SO257213
    CP3 Path junction SO252189
    CP4 Sugarloaf SO272187
    CP5 Llanfoist SO286132
    CP6 Blorenge SO269118
    Finish Blaenafon Leisure Centre/Rugby Club SO257089

*Three big climbs - quite a tough race.
    *Yes, there are some urban bits through the streets of Abergavenny and Blaenafon. They're the most tricky bits to navigate in my experience.
    *You can organise a lift share at registration if you don't have your own means of getting to the start.
    *Entry of the day.
    *Well worth a trip from Hereford.

Hope that helps
    Rhys

It's a great race, the scenery is wonderful and very varied. The route finding is not hard in the way it can be in the big mountains but it can be a bit fiddly through the valleys and you do need a 1:25000 map, having said that the most awkward sections have been flagged/marshalled in the past. The route skirts around the W. of Abergavenny using the main road for a v. short distance before going through a tunnel under the canal (usually a drinks statin just before there) and then attacking the Blorenge head on. There is a frustratingly awkward bit of route finding right at the very end when you enter the housing estates a few hundred metres from the finish (the organisers understandably don't try to flag this bit as the local kids have a well developed sense of humour) however you can recce this little bit when you register.
    There is no formal organised transport to the start but it's a very friendly atmosphere and I'm sure you'll have no difficulty sorting a lift.
    If you read the article in 'The Fellrunner' about races with cakes then this race beats them all hands down, in the last couple of years there has been a full on wedding style buffet at the end, fantastic!
    It is entry on the day and I would say it's well worth the trip from a lot further away than Hereford, I'm sure you'll have a great day out.