Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to teach

I want to teach

Fedup with my job.
    I want to teach maths and/or physics (I'm a physicist). Got to do PGCE.
    If it's just 'teaching', I know I am good. Just I've got no idea if I can handle teenagers...

Comments...?

Super Moderator

Re: I want to teach

I would have loved to have taught but don't like kids particularly. Think long and hard before going into teaching is my advice if you're not sure about getting on with the pupils. Secondary school teaching involves a huge amount of pastoral work (I used to live with a teacher). Teaching is one of those jobs that, like being a policeman or in the forces, impacts on the way you are as a person too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Fedup with my job.
    If it's just 'teaching', I know I am good. Just I've got no idea if I can handle teenagers...

Comments...?
    Carry a big stick.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I would have loved to have taught but don't like kids particularly. Think long and hard before going into teaching is my advice if you're not sure about getting on with the pupils. Secondary school teaching involves a huge amount of pastoral work (I used to live with a teacher). Teaching is one of those jobs that, like being a policeman or in the forces, impacts on the way you are as a person too
    Wow, I think this is perfectly stated.
    I know I would be a perfect teacher if it was 'only teaching'.
    About teenagers? I just don't know...
    Got to spend time in school...

Have you thought about Primary?

The older kids can be quite mature, with plenty of 'teaching' involved, but less of the teenage tantrums.

Be prepared for it to muck up your running tho' - I used to be a sub 40 minute 10k runner, now I'm a fat jogger!!!

TEACHING!!!!! NOoooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!!!!

wow, thanks for all positive reply !

Go for it.
    Teaching wont muck your running up. It hasn't for me anyway.
    Can be demanding at times, can be hard work, but also very rewarding.
    The pupils are the easy part, try managing the staff!!!!

If you are serious search the the TDA on the internet and arrange to speak to a teacher via the site. You get to ask what you want. Also note that if you were thinking of starting a PGCE in September you might have left it too late this year! I know the links I havce with Man Uni for my subject are rather full now.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Fedup with my job.

Comments...?
    Handling teenagers is part of the teaching process - If you've got 25 teenagers swinging from the rafters you aint gonna be able to 'teach'
    The PGCE will give you a good grounding in classroom management so wouldn't worry too much.

Spend time in a school, better still several schools before you even consider taking the plunge.

Remember you have to do 12 months as a PGCE student then a further 12 months of teaching and "Hoop Jumping" as a Newly Qualified Teacher(NQT) before you are classed as a teacher.

There a very few schools teaching Physics, they mostly teach "Science" these days.

On a personal note I made a career change 5 years ago and became a teacher.

DON'T DO IT

wow, thanks for all positive reply !

Apologies if my reply was seen as negative, it really wasn't meant to be.

Teaching is a fantastic job and it is great to be influencing young lives as opposed to making money for shareholders/ working for a boss you hate etc. etc.

It is however, very physically and mentally demanding - particularly if you work in one of our more challenging areas, as I do.

Don't let that put you off - if we don't try to help these kids in our sink estates then what hope have they got?

Try a bit of work experience in a wide variety of schools, see which suits you best and go for it!