Page 1391 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 39189112911341138113891390139113921393140114411491 ... LastLast
Results 13,901 to 13,910 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Cracking evening on blencathra tonight, halls fell up doddick down. Rediculously windy, holding on at times on the up, comical short run over to top of sharp edge for some photos with wind blowing us sideways off the path. All in all a nice trot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
    Cracking evening on blencathra tonight, halls fell up doddick down. Rediculously windy, holding on at times on the up, comical short run over to top of sharp edge for some photos with wind blowing us sideways off the path. All in all a nice trot out.
    Hazy when I did leg 1 of the BG i came down Doddick fell and it was a good run. I did struggle to find an easy way down into the ridge initially, however it was dark and very icy so I was being over catious, perhaps it's a little easier in daylight.

12 x 300mtr reps tonight.

On an incline so half were slight uphill and half were downhill. Tough session, and certainly knew I'd had a good workout by the end...

1hr50 of effort in the gym, on the stairclimber and up the treadmill.... 5900ft... A tough session, but after all the pure running training I've been putting in, it was nice to get a few feet of climb under my belt, albeit artificial and in a gym.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    So that's two reps sessions in one week, Travs! Even when I was racing regularly, I never managed ore than one lot of reps in a week. These days, my reps sessions are about as rare as Tindersticks going for a fortnight without a race; but I did manage one on Wednesday, 8 circuits of a rough field near my home, about 2 mins per circuit, so no more than 500 metres.

If you get fed up with your stairclimber, you're not too far from the mighty mountain of Nuneaton http://wikimapia.org/4198678/Mount-Judd#/photo/3010170 . Try some reps up and down that!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    So that's two reps sessions in one week, Travs! Even when I was racing regularly, I never managed ore than one lot of reps in a week. These days, my reps sessions are about as rare as Tindersticks going for a fortnight without a race; but I did manage one on Wednesday, 8 circuits of a rough field near my home, about 2 mins per circuit, so no more than 500 metres.

If you get fed up with your stairclimber, you're not too far from the mighty mountain of Nuneaton http://wikimapia.org/4198678/Mount-Judd#/photo/3010170 . Try some reps up and down that!
    Yes two rep sessions this week. We usually do one rep/fast session, and one longer run, but mixed things up the last couple of weeks as there are a few shorter distance competitions coming up for the group.

Mount Judd slag heap... Yes I know it, I think it may well be private property... It's the long, borderline runnable hills where I struggle, currently trying to raise that threshold point between running and having to walk, it's coming along slowly... Along with general pace on those flatter sections of races.

Hopefully at a race soon I'm going to see some results for my efforts in terms of improved times. Welsh 1000m being the next race which I've done previously. Although coming 7 days after Jura I might have to revise that thought!

Track session tonight...

3 x 200m, 2 x 400m, 1 x 800m, 1 x 1km, 1 x 800m, 2 x 400m, 3 x 200m....

True to form I got stronger as the session went on. Definitely showing some signs of progress. I'm now consistently ahead of the guys I was trying to keep up with 6 weeks ago, and now looking to try and latch onto the next group.

Whether this will translate into stronger performances on the fells remains to be seen.

6 miles tonight. The middle 2 miles being a timed effort. I took this quite steady, having raced hard at the weekend, and took 13:55 for the 2 miles.

Interesting that my steady effort tonight was only 30 seconds slower than last time I did this session, supposedly going hard on the effort the first time. Which either points to my general pace is improving... Or that I've not really got much of a higher gear when it comes to pace. It's probably a bit of both at the moment.

Quite happy with progress at the moment. Certainly running better on the flat, and my fell race last weekend was my best performance in percentage terms compared to the winning time. Had I not made a couple of simple route errors on Sunday, I'd have been looking at approx 10% improvement on my typical fell performance.

Next race to compare to last year will be Welsh 1000m in a few weeks so will be interesting to see what I've learnt in a year. Although coming 7 days after Jura I may well be on my limit...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Pleasant to go out running in the rain today, with some softness in the ground underfoot. With the recent weather I had almost forgotten what running in rain felt like!

Yes I made the mistake of wearing my waterproof top on Tuesday due to the rain, end result I was sweating buckets.

12 x 400m reps tonight. Progressive, so reps 5-8 faster than the first 4, and 9-12 faster again.

Really went well tonight, kept up with one of the faster guys, in fact I was well over 100 metres behind him with 4 to go, but I was really hitting them hard and pulled it all back. We both ended up doing an extra rep as we had lapped everybody else.

Interesting that while I would probably be unable to keep with him on a longer run, I am able to match some of the faster guys on the interval sessions. Perhaps my recovery is better.

It's been a while since we went out as a group on a longer run, i.e 7 miles plus, so will be interesting to see if I can get a bit closer to a few of the faster guys on one of those.