Page 1418 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 41891813181368140814161417141814191420142814681518 ... LastLast
Results 14,171 to 14,180 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Lovely afternoon in the Western Fells. Honister-Fleetwith Pike-Haystacks-Scarth Gap-Black Sail Hut-Ennerdale

A steady afternoon out to get my legs back, after suffering from a stuttering training regime over the past few weeks, and previously only 2.5 miles done this week due to blister problems.

Took it steady up to Fleetwith Pike but still reached the summit in 24 minutes. Took a little longer than expecting getting round to Haystacks, it's a bit longer than I remembered across the top of Haystacks, but I was really taking my time as it was my first time on Haystacks in clear weather so I was having a good look round. Partly for the benefit of Ennerdale tomorrow, but even more so for the Buttermere race in a couple of weeks (Innonimate Tarn to Scarth Gap was the scene of an absolute shit-tip of a navigation error last time, my "shortcut" costing me plenty of time, and I went from comfortably top half at Honister, to 5th last at the finish.... also aided and abetted by a lack of endurance over such a demanding race).

Raced down from Scarth Gap to Ennerdale floor in just a few minutes, then a steady jog back down a stiflingly hot sun trap of Ennerdale valley back to Ennerdale village where I'm staying until Monday.

13 miles, 1850ft. Good news is the blisters are just about gone, with only a little bit of pain from my Mudclaws on fast descents. I don't think this will cause much of an issue tomorrow. But my main worry is the lack of miles over the past few weeks, due to various niggles and blisters, really felt it in my ankles today on the rough ground, I guess I'm just slightly off top condition. But bearing in my I was at 'peak condition' less than 6 weeks ago I'm hoping I can bluff my way round Ennerdale tomorrow, but I fear my hopes of a good time are hanging in the balance.
    Last edited by Travs; 08-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Master
    Keswick And over Skiddaw to Mirehouse. Quick change and straight into Bassenthwaite for a swim to Otherside. Stuck thumb out and quickly got a lift to Keswick. Drove to Wythburn and a quick up and down of Helvellyn. Knee sore especially descending but nothing a few pain killers couldn't handle.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Keswick And over Skiddaw to Mirehouse. Quick change and straight into Bassenthwaite for a swim to Otherside. Stuck thumb out and quickly got a lift to Keswick.
    Yes, hitch-hiking is so much easier when you are only wearing swimming trunks.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

The thermometer in the car read 29c this afternoon at Ennerdale. But undeterred, and with a fresh pair of Fell shoes, I hared off back up Crag Fell in absolutely stunning sunshine and clear skies.

Reaching the top, I had intended to reverse my route back down through the trees, but feeling fresh and a little more adventurous, I dropped off ESE down to the wall junction at Red Beck (my 1:50000 OS Map fortunately not informing me that I was passing through an area of disused mines and levels), then back over Angler's Crag down to the head of the lake.

Only 4 miles and 1500ft, but considering yesterday's ordeal at Ennerdale I felt amazingly fresh in the muscles, running a fair amount of the climb up Crag Fell, and the whole climb up Angler's Crag, and almost breaking into a sprint along the side of the Lake back towards the car park.

This weeks total 42.5 miles, 11400ft.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Upping my mileage as I approach elevation to M60 status -- but today's effort was too far, especially coming two days after a rather brisk Beacon Hill run.

I went to Buck Hill, Beacon Hill, Ulverscroft, Bradgate Park (steep approach to Old John*); then, as I approached Woodhouse Eaves on the way home with just over two hours' running behind me, I ground to a halt, despite having consumed an entire Ma Baker's Giant Bar (other oatmeal confections are also available) and a reasonable amount of water. I had to walk most of the remaining two and a half miles home. But it was a lovely run in beautiful countryside.

* Old John was a faithful servant of the Earls of Stamford, who lived in the big house in Bradgate Park in the 18th century. When Old John died, it was decided to erect a monument to him at the highest point in the park, and that the monument should be in the shape of a beer tankard. Obviously I remain mystified as to why it should be considered appropriate for anyone to be commemorated by a monument in the shape of a beer tankard. Anyway, the monument is now referred to as "Old John".

On one occasion I wrote a report on the Charnwood Hills Race for the Fellrunner magazine, and mentioned "Old John's Hill". When the magazine came out, the editor had "corrected" it to "St John's Hill".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Upping my mileage as I approach elevation to M60 status -- but today's effort was too far, especially coming two days after a rather brisk Beacon Hill run.

I went to Buck Hill, Beacon Hill, Ulverscroft, Bradgate Park (steep approach to Old John*); then, as I approached Woodhouse Eaves on the way home with just over two hours' running behind me, I ground to a halt, despite having consumed an entire Ma Baker's Giant Bar (other oatmeal confections are also available) and a reasonable amount of water. I had to walk most of the remaining two and a half miles home. But it was a lovely run in beautiful countryside.
    Similar thing happened to me yesterday. I went out early to avoid the heat of the day. A relatively easy run around rural Worcestershire and just ground to a halt. Not sure if it's the weather or if I've been overdoing it of late, making up for recent injuries. We all have bad days but at least we are out there doing it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Keswick And over Skiddaw to Mirehouse. Quick change and straight into Bassenthwaite for a swim to Otherside. Stuck thumb out and quickly got a lift to Keswick. Drove to Wythburn and a quick up and down of Helvellyn. Knee sore especially descending but nothing a few pain killers couldn't handle.
    Now that would have been a sight. I was picked up by a female too!! Surprised I wasn't arrested.

Back in Coventry, and opted for a progressive run, 7 miles and 1550ft.

Good news is I seem to be just about clear of my blister issues. Although toes are still very sore after the weekend, but that appears to just be residual pain and not being made worse by running.

Back to the club session tomorrow... Hills! Not entirely looking forward to it after polishing off close to 11000ft since Friday afternoon.

Super Moderator
    Good effort Travs and Corniceman

Stef’s got us lined up for c 70 miles in the first three days of our upcoming holiday, albeit steadily away

Club hill session tonight... reps up and down a hill of perhaps 180 metres long, not a massive incline, perhaps 9 or 10% average.

10 minute hard uphill reps, 10 mins downhill, 5 mins uphill, 5 mins downhill.

We stayed fairly close as a group for the first 20 mins, but then changing back to uphills was a real struggle for those not so used to running on hills, so I turned the screw a pulled out a big gap.

From a personal point of view I was fairly happy with the session, although obviously a little heavy-legged from the weekend. Broke my new Fell shoes in a bit more on the grass (these Irocks incredibly comfortable straight out of the box, but with Buttermere in the horizon I'm taking no chances), and even more satisfying managed to pierce the incredibly painful blood/gunge/blister underneath my toenail which was causing a huge amount of pain since the weekend.

We were visited by Coventry Godiva's most famous son tonight, with none other than David Moorcroft milling around amongst the group after the session tonight. Must be such an incentive for the huge junior section of the club, to see such a great athlete still a part of the club.
    Last edited by Travs; 12-06-2018 at 09:44 PM.