Page 1396 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 39689612961346138613941395139613971398140614461496 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 13,960 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill and Longcliffe Quarry: 83 minutes, my longest run for at least two months. There is no formal public access to the disused Longcliffe Quarry, but it is known and visited by many locals. On the path down into the quarry today, I passed three blokes each clutching a Costa Coffee cup. [Other overpriced beverages are also available.] One of them asked me, "Excuse me, is it a safe place to be here?" [I'm not sure of the accent, possibly Greek.] "Yes, if you're sensible" was all I could think of to reply. By the way, the nearest Costa Coffee outlet is a good three miles away, in Loughborough town centre.

Having not ran at all for a week, it was back to the track with a bang this evening... I must admit I was not looking forward to this one... 10 x 800metres with 1 minute rests in between.

I was setting a decent pace of around 3:02 for each rep and holding it quite consistently for 6 reps. But 50 metres into the 7th I felt a twinge in my hamstring, which quickly went down to my calf. With great relief I realised it was only a bout of cramp.

Perhaps with more running in my legs I could have kept it up for the whole session. I certainly felt pretty good, in fact the group I was heading were moaning I was pushing the pace too hard. Although in hindsight, given my downfall, they were probably right!

Still after a week off I feel free of all my previous niggles and look forward to a few weeks of tough races starting on Sunday at Stretton Skyline.

A pacy 7.5 miles around the fields, woods and quiet roads to the south of Coventry.

Felt strong, so feeling positive for Stretton on sunday. Although I did say the same last year, and ended up limping to a dnf, so I'm not taking anything for granted!

Off the back of Stretton Skyline on Sunday, and Peris upcoming on Saturday, I'm not intending to work too hard this week.

Did train tonight though, the session was 6 x 1km with 90secs recovery between. In the event, I only did 5 reps, and only 3 of them were at a decent pace. But was good to stretch my legs, and have a proper stretching session as well.

One thing I noticed was that even though a bit fatigued from Sunday, I was able to switch up the gears without too much effort, so I guess the track sessions have been helping.

Looking forward to a full season of cross country this winter, on top of the usual fell racing, sometimes on the same weekend! I guess it will either make me a lot stronger, or break me...! Will find out soon. But I'll get Peris done and dusted before worrying about anything else.

Peris tomorrow, so a short few miles out from Llanberis this evening to loosen up.

Went up the Snowdon road, but instead of turning up the path, continued up the road to Hebron station, then turned right, towards the farm at the bottom of Moel Cynghorion. Returned to Llanberis via the forest track which is usually the final part of the Peris race.

Two things I noticed...

1) That Moel Cynghorion looks steep as hell from below, I'm sure I don't recall it being that steep last year!

2) Even running up the Snowdon Road towards the cafe is pretty flaming steep, let alone when you get onto the Snowdon path. Has made me think twice about taking on the Snowdon race, where I would imagine to get a reasonable time you would have to run the whole ascent without even thinking of walking...!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    2) Even running up the Snowdon Road towards the cafe is pretty flaming steep, let alone when you get onto the Snowdon path. Has made me think twice about taking on the Snowdon race, where I would imagine to get a reasonable time you would have to run the whole ascent without even thinking of walking...!
    I did the Snowdon race twice in my fitter days, and there was a section about 3/4 of the way up where I had to walk, but I ran the rest. Running up that steep road at the start is no problem, it's running down it at the end that's painful!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I did the Snowdon race twice in my fitter days, and there was a section about 3/4 of the way up where I had to walk, but I ran the rest. Running up that steep road at the start is no problem, it's running down it at the end that's painful!
    it's still on the list of races for next year!

After a rest day yesterday, i'll do half hour easy on the treadmill later, followed by a good stretch.

Training appears to have worked reasonably well. In the last couple of weeks managed to get pb's on the Stretton Skyline and Peris, by 8mins and 15mins respectively, despite inferior conditions. Although that improvement is at least partly down to improvements in mental strength and 'race management', rather than just a case of being fitter/faster..

3 weeks now to get recovered and get some more decent training in before the next one (Black Mountains)
    Last edited by Travs; 11-09-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Back into serious training tonight.

3 sets of 10 minute sprint sessions, with 3 minutes rest between each set.

First set was uphills which went went well. Second set was flat sprints, and about halfway through I started to feel a bit of fatigue from the weekend. Third set was downhills which went well.

Very stiff afterwards though, the warm-down run was a struggle...!

Treadmill session today.

40 mins climbing. 2250ft. Worked pretty hard. 23 of the 40 minutes were actual running up the 15% gradient, the other 17 were warmup and rest periods with hard walking.

Followed by a decent weights session and some leg presses (25 x 90kg and then 35 x 100kg).

Jelly legs afterwards.

I've got a bit of a confession to make.

I see AL races as my 'bread and butter'.... that's not to say I find them easy, but they are what I use to measure my progress, and really they are the races which inspire me when it comes to Fell racing.

Yet I barely do any long runs in training.

There are some reasons for this... I do a long hard Fell Race on average around every 3 weeks, so I do have the endurance in me. Regular long races also mean that I am careful to recover properly, which does mean I've often been hesitant to plough out the miles on an 'off' weekend. And I do train hard with track sessions, reps, hill reps, and 6-8 mile faster runs.

But this year I think I've managed one training run of 15 miles, and one 2 hour run on the treadmill. Those aside, not really any training runs over an hour.

Now that I've developed a good base of stamina, and seem to be able to recover fairly quickly from hard races, I now feel in a position to add in regular long runs. Hopefully it will give me even better endurance, not to mention instantly upping my weekly mileage between 10-15 miles.

So today it started. 14.1 miles, mainly on the roads, with possibly 10% on fields and tracks. Nice and steady (a concept I find particularly difficult to keep to). Indication of the pace is that I went through the half marathon at 1hr49

I did find the constant running on concrete quite testing in the final mile or two, but apart from that no issues.

Whether I can keep it up regularly, with the congested cross-country season about to start, not to mention the winter fell races (will have to double up some weekends), remains to be seen. But I'm fairly convinced that regular long runs in training are something I really need in order to progress further.