Page 1428 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 42892813281378141814261427142814291430143814781528 ... LastLast
Results 14,271 to 14,280 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Lovely stuff Travs.
    We probably passed each other on Blea Rigg. Me, Mrs S and the pooch had lovely afternoon (and surprisingly dry) up on Silver How, Blea Rigg and Sergeant Man. Dropped down into far Easedale and missed out Tarn Crag as Mrs has a dodgy knee that's not great on steeper descents.
    Tarn crag is a lovely fell and although I had ticked off practically every Wainwright in the central fells, this one had eluded me until a LDMT recce earlier this year, mores the pity. Weather not looking great for tomorrow but today exceeded expectations so let's hope tomorrow follows suit.

Hi Pete, likely we bypassed on Blea Rigg, long stretches after the summit, heading back in the direction of Silver Howe/Ambleside, I was well over on the Langdale flank, having left the main path, did see people over to the left.

Still have a few more Central Fells to tick off, although they are now randomly spaced and difficult to tie together in one run.... Pavey Ark, Gibson Knott, Armboth Fell, Eagle Crag, Sergeants Crag, Grange Fell.... would make an interesting LDMT style day out...!

Well it's 6-20am, I've been awake an hour listening to the rain on the window here in Ambleside. Finally just dared to poke my head out the window and must admit I didn't like what I saw...!
    Last edited by Travs; 09-09-2018 at 06:30 AM.

After 64 miles and 17000ft last week, it has been an easy start to the week with a couple of steady sessions. Managed to get back down the club tonight for a 6.5 mile road run, which I kept steady except for an 800mtr thrash in the middle. Including my own track warmup, a total of 9 steady miles.

Possibly have a bash at a fast Parkrun on Saturday.

Returned to my local Parkrun this morning, having got lost there 3 weeks ago. But having got round the LDMT last weekend I felt ready for the navigational challenge of a marked 5km...

Managed 19:02 which whilst a pb by a long way, I wasn't incredibly happy with. I fell apart in the final mile, whether because of a very hard race last weekend, going out too fast, or perhaps I'm Just not as quick as I thought, I'm not sure. Certainly feel I've got another 30 seconds in me at least, in my current state.

Came 3rd. A group of 5 of us went out hard from the start, but on hitting the first hill, a couple went straight off the back. The winner (a clubmate) pulled away and showed his superior ability, finishing sub-18, and I was overtaken in the final mile. Worst bit for me was this guy took 20 seconds out of me in the final mile, I really phoned the last few minutes in.

Hopefully have another go in the coming weeks and hope to get significantly under 19mins.

Club night tonight, Kenyan Hills 20 minute session. I'm not too sure exactly what is Kenyan about running up and down a shallow hill alongside the busy A45 in Coventry. I'm told Kenyan refers to constant effort, as opposed to uphill or downhill reps.

The hill is about 600m long and never really gets above 8-9% gradient, so it's not exactly Gamlin End, but a hard session for me as it's basically a 20 minute speed session.

Pushed it quite hard throughout, managed to drop everyone apart from the coach, who had about 60 yards on me by the end. We had a new guy who is obviously pretty handy... he came flying past me about 15 mins in, but I could see he was working hard and I took him again on the final uphill.... got to show these new guys who is the "king of the hill...!" No doubt when he gets his eye back in he'll be miles in front of me!

7.5 miles including a good warmup and runout to the session.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club night tonight, Kenyan Hills 20 minute session. I'm not too sure exactly what is Kenyan about running up and down a shallow hill alongside the busy A45 in Coventry. I'm told Kenyan refers to constant effort, as opposed to uphill or downhill reps.
    I think the hills are Kenyan when you do the 600m uphill in 1m50s and the 600m downhill in 1m30s.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

6 miles and 3900ft today, very steady, capped off a poor week, around 22 miles and 6250ft in total.

The week started well with a good fast hill session, but felt a strain in my hamstring towards the end of that session, and it still hasn't gone away, so not beeen able to do much since. Having to race in the road relays yesterday I'm sure hasn't helped, a hard 6km there.

Peris next week, so although I'd love to have a solid week leading up to it, main priority will have to be getting to the start line next Saturday free of injury. Going into Peris with anything less than 100% confidence in my legs will be asking for trouble.

Club night last night. 8 x 1km reps with 90secs rest. 4 uphill (no more than 100ft climb), 4 downhill.

Prime concern is keeping my hamstring in good shape for Peris, so only did 5 reps, and kept very steady, not getting above 4:10/km

Steady 8 miles in total.

Hoping for a pb at Peris. Last year was difficult conditions underfoot, and a terrible footwear choice (i declined pure fell shoes in favour of some Scott Supertrac, hoping for a bit more comfort, which was a big error, and spent a good portion of the race on my arse, or limping due to the non-snug fit) (great shoes btw, just not pure fell shoes and definitely not 'Peris in bad conditions' shoes!), so all being well, can clear 5 hours with a bit to spare.

Super Moderator
    Good luck Travs

Thank you DT....

A gentle trot out from Llanberis this evening. Up the Maesgwm valley, onto and over the Moel Eilio ridge, and a fantastic run off the western end and down into Llanberis. 8 miles 2500ft.

Should I have gone on such a 'long' run just 18 hours before Peris? Well experience tells me it won't have hurt me. And I needed to make sure my hamstring was in a good state before ragging it to death tomorrow.

Fortunately my hamstring feels fine, although I can certainly feel that I've gone a couple of weeks without a solid 40 miles/10000ft.... felt invincible at Sedbergh and large parts of Stretton Skyline, felt distinctly off the pace this evening. But I appear to be fit and injury-free, so will give it everything tomorrow.

Snowdonia really is fantastic... the views from the A5 across to Moel Siabod and Snowdon, then the Snowdon Horseshoe from the Capel Curig-PYP road, and finally the views up on the Moel Eilio ridge tonight..... already feel like I've got my money's worth this weekend.

I hate to break it to Lakeland lovers... it may be the home of Fell Running... but in my opinion Snowdonia is even better... the mountains are just wilder. I challenge anyone to drive up from Bethesda to Capel Curig and not think similar...