Page 1406 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 40690613061356139614041405140614071408141614561506 ... LastLast
Results 14,051 to 14,060 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

Super Moderator
    Good to see you posting Simon

Stef used to train in the stairwell of her office-block in Southampton and was concerned when she moved up to the edge of the Dales (a couple of miles from Ilkley Moor) she wouldn’t be able to get her climbing in. I’ll ask her how she measured / recordered climbing (bearing in mind she’s a surveyor!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Good to see you posting Simon

Stef used to train in the stairwell of her office-block in Southampton and was concerned when she moved up to the edge of the Dales (a couple of miles from Ilkley Moor) she wouldn’t be able to get her climbing in. I’ll ask her how she measured / recordered climbing (bearing in mind she’s a surveyor!)
    Crumbs. I cant imagine too many fell runners would be that concerned about leaving the south of England or swapping concrete for outdoors. I am sure she has not dampened such concerns and thankful for living in such glorious scenery.
    I have to keep my posting going, and still hope to achieve a thousand posts. not so easy on a running forum, when basically I don't run anymore. Cycling and swimming forums though don't hold the same attraction!
    Funnily, I do seem to be able to walk uphill still with little aggravation to the kneed joint but coming down is a real trial and cycling doesn't hurt it so much. I swim only breaststroke and this does hurt the knee a little as well as being slower than crawl. Never really liked water, so a good breast stroke is probably as good as it will get. there is too much fell on the FGR for my knee to take so I am working on a 20 hour challenge with a reduced amount of fell, approx. 22 miles, but a lengthy cycle of about 90 or so and of course the adrenalin inducing swim of Derwent Water when completely spent at 18 or so hours. Should be fun, and gives something to post about. I see you have backed off it a bit but its always there to return to. best wishes and perhaps catch you one day in the Lakes for some uphill plodding!

Simon I noticed the same with you when it comes to swimming... i'm quite poor at front-crawl so usually stick to breast stroke, but when I put in a real hard effort it does begin to hurt my knee.

Agree with your points re uphill walking as well. There's definitely a technique to it, and I often find in races I can walk uphill faster than some people can run. I walk a mile to the office and back each day, which amounts to an additional 10 miles a week, which I absolutely hammer out a ridiculous pace. I must look like an utter lunatic, but i'm sure it helps with my power-walking in a race...

A solid 9 miles round the mean streets of Coventry tonight. Knocking out a fair pace and certainly worked up a good sweat in the cold weather, but wasn't overly pushing it, with Sunday in mind. Felt good, looking forward to Edale on Sunday.

When I was a contracter working in Civil engineering and based in the south - sunny Thamesmead; we used to have timed races up 12 story blocks of flats with a Hundredweight of cement on our shoulders. I could beat Stevie Haston (old climbers will know him)

Feeling relatively fresh after Edale Skyline at the weekend, I went for the track session tonight, although I was certainly backing off a bit.

2000m, 1600m, 1000m, 800m, 400m, 200m, 90 seconds rest between each one. The first 2km were a bit of an ordeal and I was a good minute off where I'd probably usually be. But after that I wasn't too far off where I'd hope to usually be. With a decent warm up and down, 7 miles in total.

Last week I managed 43 miles and approx 9000ft, which is pretty satisfying after a few weeks hindered by injury. Just got to keep it consistent now.

Midlands Road Relays on Saturday, and with a depleted team due to the rearranged date and clashing with a number of big road races, I'll quite possibly be in the 1st team, running either a 3 or 5 mile leg. So also got to consider that I need to be fresh for that, so probably a relatively high proportion of steady miles this week, rather than all out effort.

Master
    Thurs 15th 51 miles on bike Hawes to Kettlewell to Leyburn to Hawes. Fri 16th Ingleborogh from Chapel Dale and then PYG from Horton. Weather pretty poor both days. Sat 17th 1:30 on static bike and 30 mins stepper. Knee doesn't like it very much!

Making a conscious effort to increase and maintain the mileage, so feeling fairly trouble-free after yesterday's road relays, I went for a tough treadmill session, 9 miles and 3900ft. Certainly worked up a sweat, and really pushed the last half an hour as was hoping to push up to 4000ft, but ran out of time.

That makes a total for the week of 35 miles and 7900ft, which is a bit less than last week, but considering I'm coming off the back of last weekend's Edale Skyline, and a road race yesterday, I'm fairly content with. Hope to put in another good week, and possibly race the Cardingmill Canter next weekend if still feeling fresh. Long distance stuff looming massively on the near horizon...!

If I ever recorded my runs, I'd need two additional columns for my recent runs: wind speed (about 60kph today) and snow hindrance (today maybe 3 out of 5).

About 5 miles over Shutlingsloe with Mrs noel. Pleasant in places, Patagonian in others (from what I've read).

Banned
    A very long time since I've been on here.
    1 mile today.
    Its a start.