Page 1395 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 39589512951345138513931394139513961397140514451495 ... LastLast
Results 13,941 to 13,950 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Have been working hard recently (possibly as a result of not having the forum to look at!)

Culminating in possibly my best performance in a track session so far. 400m, 800m, 200m, 200m, x3

Was knocking the 400m off in 77 seconds, and maintaining this throughout the 800m reps as well. This is a dramatic upturn after my last session when I could only get down to 83 seconds with a full on sprint, due to fatigue from the 10 Peaks race.

Hopefully another solid week and I'll be in a position to hit Borrowdale hard and hopefully knock some time off last year (4hrs 50)

Good one!

just going out...1 hour run on the road to recovery

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Have been working hard recently (possibly as a result of not having the forum to look at!)

Culminating in possibly my best performance in a track session so far. 400m, 800m, 200m, 200m, x3

Was knocking the 400m off in 77 seconds, and maintaining this throughout the 800m reps as well. This is a dramatic upturn after my last session when I could only get down to 83 seconds with a full on sprint, due to fatigue from the 10 Peaks race.

Hopefully another solid week and I'll be in a position to hit Borrowdale hard and hopefully knock some time off last year (4hrs 50)
    I am currently reading Richard Askwith's biography of Emil Zátopek, "Today we die a little". I notice that you haven't yet recorded any sessions of 40 x 400m, Travs. You're not going to be a triple Olympic champion then, are you?

40 x ??? Wow that would be some session?!?

I actually really enjoy the track sessions. There's nowhere to hide... you get into a group, and keep up or fall away. It's hard work.

I'd sooner be able to train on the fells but that's not a possibility at the moment, so it's the best work I can do...

One thing I do notice, is how much a hard track session takes out of me. I think because on the flat and pace of a track session, there's such a lot more emphasis on the hamstrings, and for days after, my hamstrings are in pieces. I do a lot of strength work, but the pure effort of a flat track session is such a strain on my hamstrings...

Yesterday I trundled round 7 miles of fields/woodland/roads on the outskirts of Coventry.

Today headed up to the lakes, and a steady outing from Braithwaite up to Outerside and Barrow (my 149th and 150th Wainwrights). The ridge off Barrow down to Braithwaite appears to have been designed by a fell runner and is made for reckless descending, but owing to the impending stresses that tomorrow's Borrowdale race will bring, I held back and took it easy...

Back on the track tonight. 10 x 400m with 60 seconds recovery between each rep.

Was a little apprehensive about doing the session only 3 days after Borrowdale, but I felt good in the warmup so went for it. A little slower than recent weeks, but still 84-85 seconds each rep.

Actually felt better tonight than I did at Borrowdale!

Just under 4 weeks til my next race (Stretton Skyline) which is a race I find very tough due to the amount of running required. Will train as hard as possible when I can, but a bigger priority is getting to the start line feeling fresh, after feeling very flat at Borrowdale last weekend. Especially with Peris just 6 days after Stretton, and also throwing in Black Mountains in September for good measure... That will be my main target races over for the year, and will complete the year with a big ultra in November, and hopefully as many of the Shropshire Winter League races as I can manage...

6 mile run with a 2 mile "effort" for the middle 2 miles.

Felt very flat tonight. Perhaps last weekend has finally caught up with me. More likely I'm still feeling the effects of tuesday's track session, they always hit me hard.

Sped up for the 2nd mile and managed to pull out 13mins50 for the 2 miles. I'd love to have a go at it with fresh legs, as I feel that I should be able to get around 13mins. We only do this session once a month on average and I'm invariably recovering from a race, so never seem to get a clean go at it. My one fresh go at it was 13:25 in the spring, and I'm sure I've come on a bit since then...

Track session again tonight...

5 x 1000m with decreasing rest between each rep... 2.5mins, 2mins, 90secs, 45secs

I think the aim being to keep the reps consistent, or slightly faster each time, whilst battling increasing tiredness in the legs and the shorter rest period.

It was tough going, but as usual I got stronger as it went on, pulling away from a couple, and just about hanging onto a couple of guys I would regard as a bit faster. First rep was 3mins45 and got slightly quicker each rep, with the final rep being around 3mins35

Was pretty happy with myself, powers of recovery seem to be relatively good compared to others in the group, I was able to go off hard on the later reps and see it through. But then I look at the faster guys who were doing the reps in 3mins05, and realise there's always plenty of room for improvement.

Good session.

8 mile run today, quite undulating by our standards.

As usual, I struggled to keep the pace high, after a tough track session 48 hours ago. I always have a lot of fatigue in my hamstrings after a track session. No real pain, just a lot of tiredness in them.

I believe it's because I'm not used to the exceptionally hard effort on the flat, which seems to work my hamstrings relatively harder than a hill session. Whereas I can pretty much knock out a tough hill session day in day out.

Any ideas how to combat this?

I'm already doing a lot of strength work, and cross training between the two sessions. Perhaps I need to get myself off the cross trainer, and up the amount of steady running I'm doing, to condition the legs a bit more? I seem to be achieving reasonable results from my training, but my actual running mileage is relatively low... probably 25-30 miles a week on a non-race week. Perhaps the low mileage is my downfall? Or do I just accept that I am doing something massively out of my comfort zone when track training, and I'll eventually get used to it?