Page 1403 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 40390313031353139314011402140314041405141314531503 ... LastLast
Results 14,021 to 14,030 of 16892

Thread: Today's Training

After last weekend's Trigger, I really couldn't face the tuesday night club session of... hills.

So tonight I was back on it with a total of 9 miles around southern Coventry on the roads. No real fatigue in the muscles at all, but ankles still very sore from the bashing they took last weekend.

Hopefully get a long run it at the weekend, followed by one good session next week, then it's a tough 12km xc the weekend after, and Long Mynd Valleys the weekend after that. Hoping for a pb at LMV.

After a week of feeling fairly pained, I could finally face up to some uphill work this morning.

Managed to knock out 2350ft in 40 minutes. After a 9 minute power walking warmup, managed 28 of the next 31 minutes at a run. Considering that 6 month ago I was doing 5 minutes on and 5 off, it's a big progression.

Hopefully feel fresh enough for a long run tomorrow.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The rain stopped around 3pm, and I started. A slow and muddy run on one of my standard routes, Beacon Hill and Windmill Hill. Up into the clag on Beacon Hill (cloud base around 200m), and found a thin, partial covering of snow up there; but plenty of walkers around. I was left imagining what conditions must have been like for the Kinder Triallers this morning!

This was the second outing for a new pair of Walsh PB Trainers. They felt OK in the shop, and the right foot felt comfortable on the run; but my left foot is longer than the right, and there was definite pressure on the left big toe. Not sure whether to persist, or offer them on the Sales and Wants section of the Forum. Experience in the past is that Walshes tend to loosen with age, but how long will that take?
    Last edited by anthonykay; 20-01-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Managed 22.5 miles in the sleet, wind and snow this morning. 9 miles down the canal into a headwind, a few miles through the city centre and the War Memorial Park, and 9 miles back along the canal (into a wind which had changed direction by 180deg since the outward journey).

Conditions deteriorated in the final hour or so, to such an extent that I really could have done with my microspikes, I was all over the place. Hard morning's work.

Super Moderator
    Walshies are looser when wet. Simply stand in a stream when setting off or get yourself a pail of water by the backdoor - breaking the ice before you go off is great cross-training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Walshies are looser when wet. Simply stand in a stream when setting off or get yourself a pail of water by the backdoor - breaking the ice before you go off is great cross-training
    Tried wetting the tight shoe before putting it on. Still felt somewhat uncomfortable. I will persist for a few more runs before deciding whether I need to go back to the shop for a bigger pair. Apart from my Racers, these PB Trainers are the only shoes I have that are suitable for current ground conditions:

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Mud now the worst it has been for quite a while. Most notable places at least ankle deep. #Somme
    At the entrance to the Outwoods on today's route, there is a choice of two paths: 90 degrees to the left, along the edge of the wood, gently rising then flat; or straight on, also a fairly flat path. But actually there is a third option: between the two paths, 45 degrees to the left, a short, sharp climb (about 20 metres ascent) with no path but no undergrowth to hinder you. That's the way I always go, but other runners I have seen there (and the Outwoods are popular with runners) always take one of the two path options. At least until today. I was just setting off up the climb when I noticed someone belting down the hill towards me. I moved to the side to let him past!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After a fairly strenuous weekend, I was rather worried about a fast rep session today, but thought I'd go for it as I'm working hard at the moment...

10 x approx 400m reps around a twisty mix of pavement and gravel.

As I go to the club straight from work, I have plenty of time to get loose and warm, so had done a nice little 1.5 mile warmup on the track with plenty of drills, before the group warmup out to the course, so had shifted most of the stiffness I was feeling from the weekend.

Managed to get in a good group of four of us who pushed each other hard, and I even managed to really up the pace for the last few reps and split the group. Although I am somewhat regretting all the effort now...!

A tough 12km cross country at the weekend on what will likely be a very heavy course, so I think it will be unwise for me to try and fit in anything else hard between now and then, particularly as I need to lose the stiffness in my legs, so it will be a couple of cross training sessions and plenty of stretching for the rest of the week.

After a disastrous last weekend where I pulled my calf at the xc, I've had to take it easy all week. But still hoping to be fit for the Long Mynd Valleys on Sunday. So after a few easy days with some light cross-training and plenty of rest, my aim was a two-day "fitness test" this evening and tomorrow.

Today I intended to have a steady run, and all being well, go a bit harder tomorrow. So half hour on the treadmill tonight, which went ok for about 28mins, but felt some twinges in the final couple of minutes and immediately stopped. A bit more ice and rest, and tomorrow I'm going to have to make a serious decision whether to...

a) give my calf a tougher test tomorrow.
    b) rest up tomorrow and chance my unproven calf in the race on Sunday.
    c) pull out of Sunday's race altogether.

Let's face it, I'd have to be pretty much unable to walk before I consider c) as an option, so I guess it will be a) or b) depending on how I feel tomorrow... probably a)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    After a disastrous last weekend where I pulled my calf at the xc, I've had to take it easy all week. But still hoping to be fit for the Long Mynd Valleys on Sunday. So after a few easy days with some light cross-training and plenty of rest, my aim was a two-day "fitness test" this evening and tomorrow.

Today I intended to have a steady run, and all being well, go a bit harder tomorrow. So half hour on the treadmill tonight, which went ok for about 28mins, but felt some twinges in the final couple of minutes and immediately stopped. A bit more ice and rest, and tomorrow I'm going to have to make a serious decision whether to...

a) give my calf a tougher test tomorrow.
    b) rest up tomorrow and chance my unproven calf in the race on Sunday.
    c) pull out of Sunday's race altogether.

Let's face it, I'd have to be pretty much unable to walk before I consider c) as an option, so I guess it will be a) or b) depending on how I feel tomorrow... probably a)
    Hope it goes well and it's sorted soon.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Hope to see you at the Long Mynd Vallleys Travs. Beau dog and I will be up near the top of the last hill. Just a small matter of entering Nigel into the Ben Nevis race 1st while he is running. 12 noon for entries to open ... really :-)