Page 1426 of 1426 FirstFirst ... 426926132613761416142414251426
Results 14,251 to 14,256 of 14256

Thread: Today's Training

  1. #14251
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,119
    Aye, Parkruns are good speedwork. Especially for someone like me who considers any race under 1.5 hours something of a sprint, it's good to do parkruns and track work and find out how hard it really can be to run flat out for 18/19/21/+ minutes.

    A solid weekend. A sharp 3.5 mile/2500ft hill session yesterday, and a steadier 12 mile/4500ft today. Brings the weekly total to 39 miles/13900ft.

    Will be 'Fishwicking' next weekend at Weasdale Horseshoe/Sedbergh Hills. My first time doubling up on the fells. Have doubled up an XC/fell race over a weekend, some would argue that is equally as hard if not harder, with the flat out effort of a muddy XC, but i guess I'll find out next weekend. Will do a hard effort on the track on Tuesday, but main aim is to get to the start line next Saturday feeling fresh.

    Weighed myself this morning, 77.7kg.... back to my "fight weight"..... my fight weight was 78kg, although I did weigh in at 77.3 on my last one. Did get down to the dizzying lows of 76kg in Thailand but that was under a regime of 6hrs training a day, 6 days a week, 2 meals a day of very clean food, and in that hot climate, so I'd be surprised to get that low over here. But all the same I'm pleased to not be carrying too much excess weight, despite my relatively large frame for a fellrunner.

  2. #14252
    Senior Member PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mostly Worcestershire
    Posts
    903
    Heading back down to the midlands from Scotland so grabbed a quick hour or so in the Lakes to run up Ullock Pike, along the ridge to Carlside and then back through Dodd Wood. Having been in the far north of Scotland for 2 weeks, the temperature down here really caught me out. Sweating buckets by the end but loved to be back amongst the fells if only for a short time.

  3. #14253
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,119
    Back to the track tonight and a tough session.

    4 x 400m, 2 x 800m, 1 x 1000m, 2 x 800m, 4 x 400m, 90 seconds rest.

    Went off hard in an effort to sustain a faster pace than usual throughout the session. Things started to get tough around the 2nd 800m rep. But managed to hold on, and even knock out the final set of 400m reps faster than the first set, just about keeping them at 80secs.

    I'd gone off chasing some of the faster runners, and left my usual group behind, but admittedly they did slowly reel me in throughout the later reps as they had started at a more sensible pace, but I'm making a conscious effort to generally run faster and harder, so this was to be expected, and hopefully the hard effort will start to pay off in the coming weeks.

    Unlikely to do any further hard sessions this week due to two races this weekend.

    8 miles tonight, of which just over 4.5 were hard effort.

  4. #14254
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,119
    Club night again, and a 6 mile run with the middle two miles being hard effort. Bearing in mind the big weekend coming up, I took the whole run steadyish (aka I ran the first mile of the effort steady, but when one of the faster guys caught me I got excited and hammered it for the 2nd mile). But with a good track warmup, a total of 8 generally steady miles tonight.

  5. #14255
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Heading back down to the midlands from Scotland so grabbed a quick hour or so in the Lakes to run up Ullock Pike, along the ridge to Carlside and then back through Dodd Wood. Having been in the far north of Scotland for 2 weeks, the temperature down here really caught me out. Sweating buckets by the end but loved to be back amongst the fells if only for a short time.
    The far north of Scotland.... what a place... Spent a long birthday weekend in Ullapool in 2007, staying at the Ferry Boat Inn on the sea-front. Arriving in Ullapool after a nine hour drive (complete with being stopped and fined for speeding south of Inverness), taking a cider out onto the sea wall outside the inn, in the sunshine, was absolutely magical.

    Climbed Stac Pollaidh, just the drive up there was amazing, but the view from the top, endless lochans, mountains, and the silhouettes of Canisp and Suilven on the horizon, absolutely magical.

    The next day, headed up one of the big mountains north of the Inverness-Ullapool Road, (Beinn Dearg?), climbing out of the forestry, onto the flanks of the mountain, we soon hit thick cloud and snow, and realising the view from the top, if we ever found it, would not be fantastic, so headed down, some intricate compass work getting us back to the car. Also saw a huge herd of wild deer, an attempt to get close to them quickly aborted, as they spotted me and disappeared within seconds.

    That night, it was my birthday, and my football team had won the illustrious Nuneaton & District Sunday League Division 2 that day, so a big celebration on the cards. Endless pints of strong cider around 10%, plus an attempt at going across the very extensive top shelf of whiskies, saw me in quite a state, and i vaguely recall chucking up out the window of my room, which just happened to be directly above the front door of the inn. The drive back the next day was a bit of a chore, and included quite a few 'comfort breaks'. Driving south to the midlands, and seeing "Carlisle 101 miles" on a motorway signpost, is rather disheartening when feeling sorry for yourself.

    Had an epic afternoon out on Ullock Pike a good few years ago. Drove up at dawn from Cov, parked up for an early mornig jaunt up Blencathra in very wet and cloudy conditions (but generally quite benign). Then drove round towards Bassenthwaite for an attempt up ullock Pike. Unfortuantely the weather was even worse and the wind was ferocious. Up on Longside Edge there was no choice but to stick it out, reaching a bit more of a sheltered position on Carlside i noticed the side of my face which was in the wind had gone completely numb and tingly. Bravely took the decision to drop from Carlside Col into the valley heading north (Southernadale?). Incidentally that is a lovely lonely valley.
    Last edited by Travs; 17-08-2018 at 08:52 AM.

  6. #14256
    Senior Member PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mostly Worcestershire
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    The far north of Scotland.... what a place... Spent a long birthday weekend in Ullapool in 2007, staying at the Ferry Boat Inn on the sea-front. Arriving in Ullapool after a nine hour drive (complete with being stopped and fined for speeding south of Inverness), taking a cider out onto the sea wall outside the inn, in the sunshine, was absolutely magical.

    Climbed Stac Pollaidh, just the drive up there was amazing, but the view from the top, endless lochans, mountains, and the silhouettes of Canisp and Suilven on the horizon, absolutely magical.
    Just had 2 weeks up there and can't wait to go back. This trip was mainly about getting a flavour for the far NW and seeing where we would like to spend more time. We have the luxury of a campervan so it turned into a 1900 mile road trip including 4 days on the Orkneys and 3 on Skye. Not a huge amount of running but tried to get in at least half a days walking each day. The roads from Thurso to Durness and next day Durness to Ullapool were absolutely magical. Other highlights were the mountains of Assynt (and especially Suilven), the Cuillins and Trotternish. Orkney was a return trip - had a great time there last year and if it was not for the lack of hills, I could definitely live there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Had an epic afternoon out on Ullock Pike a good few years ago. Drove up at dawn from Cov, parked up for an early mornig jaunt up Blencathra in very wet and cloudy conditions (but generally quite benign). Then drove round towards Bassenthwaite for an attempt up ullock Pike. Unfortuantely the weather was even worse and the wind was ferocious. Up on Longside Edge there was no choice but to stick it out, reaching a bit more of a sheltered position on Carlside i noticed the side of my face which was in the wind had gone completely numb and tingly. Bravely took the decision to drop from Carlside Col into the valley heading north (Southernadale?). Incidentally that is a lovely lonely valley.
    Southerndale it is - a lovely, quiet and usually quite sheltered valley so not a bad choice given the weather.
    The loop from Bassenthwaite up Ullock Pike, Carl Side, Skiddaw and then down over Bakestall and via Dash falls has to be one of my favourite runs. Ullock Pike has long been a favourite of mine. I used to do some work out on a farm in the Rosley/Wigton area and it was one of the easiest fells for me to get to. That and many holidays in Bassenthwaite have meant I have climbed it probably more often then any other. Had a few epics up there myself and also some truly memorable times - one Easter I woke up to a few inches of snow, went up there shortly after dawn and had the pleasure of being the first foot prints along long side edge and then on to Skiddaw with mist coming and going enough so that visibility was never a problem. Lovely stuff.
    ...
    We found things to do
    In stormy weather
    Long may you run.

Similar Threads

  1. Today's DIY
    By Harry H Howgill in forum General chat!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 10:45 AM
  2. Today's Look Ma No Car!
    By Alexandra in forum Training
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 31-12-2011, 09:20 AM
  3. Today's BG training
    By mr brightside in forum Bob Graham
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-05-2010, 04:54 PM
  4. Today's DVD
    By Deejay in forum General chat!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •