Page 1410 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 41091013101360140014081409141014111412142014601510 ... LastLast
Results 14,091 to 14,100 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Been a more steady week after the relatively big mileages of the last couple of weeks. Only two sessions done this week so far, with a total of 11 miles and 3400ft.

Working at a trade exhibition at the NEC tomorrow, and going down to the road relays to spectate/reserve on Saturday, so not sure how much more I'll get in this week, although hoping for a decent run approx 20 miles Sunday.

Thinking back to last weekend's retirement, I guess I ran badly. Went out hard, and it was no surprise that with a niggle in my knee, it was going to fall apart. But looking on the bright side, I still got a hard 30 miles under my belt, with 28 miles the weekend before at LM42.

In better news, I've been picked for the Warwickshire team at the inter-counties Fell. I'm under no illusions that Warwickshire is not big mountain country, and in a more prominent Fell racing county I'd be nowhere near selection. But they have some decent runners, some very good cross country runners, and often punch relatively highly for a lowland county. But it's the highest accolade I'm likely to ever achieve (unless I manage something good in ultra long distance terms at some point in the future), so I'm very pleased.
    Hey that's great news Travs. I'm sure you'll do the team really proud with your obvious commitment and dedication to fell running and being in super-peak fitness generally.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Well done Travs. Just rewards for some solid and consistent training

Thank you for the kind words both.

I like to think that having a solid background of Fell results has held some sway, particularly as the lady picking the team is a prominent Fell racer herself, and from the area where I've just managed a top 20 finish in the winter Fell league (more due to a consistent set of decent results rather than any special ability).

I'm well aware that on a shorter, more runnable course, as I expect the inter-counties to be, that the other guys who perhaps don't do Fell as a first priority, but have speed in abundance, will probably give me a good thrashing.... it's a shame the inter-counties isn't ran over the Peris course, I'm not sure the cross-country boys would quite fancy traversing Lliwedd after 3 hours...

Master
    Thank you for the kind words both.

I like to think that having a solid background of Fell results has held some sway, particularly as the lady picking the team is a prominent Fell racer herself, and from the area where I've just managed a top 20 finish in the winter Fell league (more due to a consistent set of decent results rather than any special ability).

I'm well aware that on a shorter, more runnable course, as I expect the inter-counties to be, that the other guys who perhaps don't do Fell as a first priority, but have speed in abundance, will probably give me a good thrashing.... it's a shame the inter-counties isn't ran over the Peris course, I'm not sure the cross-country boys would quite fancy traversing Lliwedd after 3 hours...
    Well done Pete. I got several Nottinghamshire vests in my earlier 50's for a similar reason and I have to say I look back at those with real pride. I still wear those green vests to the gym now! Enjoy it, you'll do great. My first time was a superb but very runnable course at Broughton Heights in the Southern Uplands, and other courses similarly runnable. I always wanted a Blisco type course where my ascending would have trounced many of the cross country guys. Traditionally though its a kinder type of course.

Well the course is Lad's Leap at Crowden this year. I understand its an AS and has been used as a champs course a few times in the past, so hopefully it's a rough one. Although the bigger factor is likely to be the absolutely huge race I have the weekend before... may need a few ice baths in the week between...!

Managed to knock off a couple of decent sessions this weekend, a decent climbing session yesterday of 3500ft, and 16.5 miles along the canal this morning. Brings my total for the week up to about 35 miles and 7000ft. I'd have taken that at the start of the week, considering the long race last weekend. Have now got just under 4 weeks til the UTS100, and a race each weekend, so will struggle to get real long runs in, which is probably a blessing if it enables me to arrive at the start line in a relatively fresh state...

Lad's Leap: Tough steep first climb, bit of bog-trotting, steepish descent then a long grinding runnable climb on a track before getting back on a bit of uphill bog before a longish fast steepening descent into a fence hop before the Finish. Good little race, the second climb through the quarries is where the XC boys will come to the fore!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks ba-ba...

A good club session tonight to start off training for the week. A 4 mile "tempo" run, followed by 4 x 400m on the track.

Not being entirely sure what tempo pace is, and not having any pace/gps on my watch, I set off at probably harder than half-marathon pace, but I don't think I was quite at 10km pace. Despite showing my promise for the LDMT in September, by getting lost in the University Campus (again), it was a decent run out.

4 x 400m I knocked off in 80secs each, despite feeling mildly fatigued in the legs due to the change in pace up from the tempo run. I suppose that was the intention of the session.

With my own extended warmup and warm down, total session of 7.5 miles.

Racing at the Mynd Dragon on Sunday, a tough AS, hoping to get under an hour (was 1:05 last year), looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Travs; 17-04-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Buck Hill and the Outwoods, fairly brisk pace from the outset. I was surprised how much the paths had dried out after just a few days without rain. But there were still plenty of seriously muddy and wet patches; like on the bridleway coming down from the Outwoods, where there is a spring in a little copse next to the path, which floods the path when there has been heavy rain.

I noticed a runner ahead of me soon after coming out of the Outwoods. When that happens I can't help myself: my brain goes into racing mode (and the fact that this runner was female didn't make any difference to that). I was gaining on her, and when she slowed to pick her way through the flood by the spring, I stormed past and shouted, "Just go straight through it." I think I managed to avoid splashing her as I followed my own advice.

I carried on at the same speed, but hadn't gone much further before I realised that I wasn't the only one who goes into racing mode when seeing another runner ahead. With the path slightly downhill and the wind behind me I was running faster than I have for many months, but she stayed just a few yards behind for at least half a mile until I turned off the path for the last 300 metres or so to my home.

I looked at my watch as I arrived at home, and got a surprise; it's been a few years since I have covered that route in under 35 minutes. Endorphin overload for the rest of the day.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After a tough session on Tuesday, an equally tough hill session last night, unsurprisingly I was feeling pretty lethargic tonight for the club session.

Decided against going out for a steady run, as I knew it would only consist of me jogging round, so I joined the ladies on the grass for a rep session. It was rather painful, but enabled me to put in 5.5 miles of which nearly 3 miles were quality work.

Brings my total for the week so far up to 15 miles and 3300ft, nearly all of which have been hard effort, but I'm going to have to take it steady over the next couple of days in order to have a decent showing at the Mynd Dragon on Sunday.

Lead the fashion-stakes tonight in my old Dark Peak vest, illuminous green and black shorts, blue and orange trainers, and a red & black bandana....

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Lead the fashion-stakes tonight in my old Dark Peak vest, illuminous green and black shorts, blue and orange trainers, and a red & black bandana....
    I'm sure the "ladies on the grass" appreciated it.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges