Page 1361 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 36186112611311135113591360136113621363137114111461 ... LastLast
Results 13,601 to 13,610 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    sub 3 'should' be comfortable.. this heat is killing me though, did 17.25 last night, 7:25 pace and just felt listless..

Really need to switch to am runs. The marathon starts at 7:15 so I should be done soon after 10 am.. and is fairly shaded so it shouldn't be too bad..
    All the best with it Iain, you sure appear to put the training in!
    Sub 3 would be a nice goal for me to have, not one for road running though could I get a trail marathon in there you reckon?

I dare say in this heat ( Sheffield!) lately I'm favouring the bike!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Just starting to get running again after couple weeks resting after WHW Race. Still bit heavy legged, and noticable stiffness from fairly ordinary runs mind. Still, just starting to look forward again. Moving to Ingleton in a couple of weeks so I aim to get the bikes over and get riding...plus obviously getting up Ingleborough, Pen-y-Ghent etc.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    All the best with it Iain, you sure appear to put the training in!
    Sub 3 would be a nice goal for me to have, not one for road running though could I get a trail marathon in there you reckon?

I dare say in this heat ( Sheffield!) lately I'm favouring the bike!
    You could fine one, but most aren't that quick.. Trail Marathon Wales etc.. I'm not sure about if there are any closer to the peak that are that quick.

Hills soon slow you down, then running on trails, even flat is a good 10-20 seconds / mile slower regardless of how good the surface is.

One for Wales fans:

I couldn't resist the heat & sun today, so I went for something I've been wanting to try for a while: I'll call it the Castell y Bere Horseshoe:
    • Castell y Bere (a surprisingly large ruined castle near Llangihanfel y Pennant, AKA the middle of nowhere; hewn out of the granite by Llewelyn the Great in the 1200s, allegedly to protect cattle!)
    • A bit of road
    • Mynydd Pennant
    • Craig y Llyn
    • Tyrrau Mawr (the impressive-looking cliff-edge ridge you can see west of Cader/Dolgellau)
    • Cyfrwy
    • Cader Idris
    • Craig Cau
    • Foel Ddu (not recommended!)
    • (would have also tried Foel Cae'rberllan)
    • Castell y Bere, refreshments (picnic) in the castle courtyard

Total I did about 23km/1400m

The uphill was great, mostly on the occasionally-beaten path.
    The descent wasn't so fantastic, with the tempting, rugged ridges of Foel Ddu & the next one along being an absolute nightmare, like trying to stomp through a jungle with already-tired legs. It soon became clear it was one of those days when the "downhill" was going to take longer than the uphill, and I didn't make it up the last one.

Anyone else been along any of that?

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    One for Wales fans:

I couldn't resist the heat & sun today, so I went for something I've been wanting to try for a while: I'll call it the Castell y Bere Horseshoe:
    • Castell y Bere (a surprisingly large ruined castle near Llangihanfel y Pennant, AKA the middle of nowhere; hewn out of the granite by Llewelyn the Great in the 1200s, allegedly to protect cattle!)
    • A bit of road
    • Mynydd Pennant
    • Craig y Llyn
    • Tyrrau Mawr (the impressive-looking cliff-edge ridge you can see west of Cader/Dolgellau)
    • Cyfrwy
    • Cader Idris
    • Craig Cau
    • Foel Ddu (not recommended!)
    • (would have also tried Foel Cae'rberllan)
    • Castell y Bere, refreshments (picnic) in the castle courtyard

Total I did about 23km/1400m

The uphill was great, mostly on the occasionally-beaten path.
    The descent wasn't so fantastic, with the tempting, rugged ridges of Foel Ddu & the next one along being an absolute nightmare, like trying to stomp through a jungle with already-tired legs. It soon became clear it was one of those days when the "downhill" was going to take longer than the uphill, and I didn't make it up the last one.

Anyone else been along any of that?
    Just picking myself of the floor...

No! Noone does this stuff. They say they do but look at the records...

Just picking myself of the floor...

No! Noone does this stuff. They say they do but look at the records...
    Look at which records?

Adventures like this are the rare exception rather than the rule for me; I could have tried harder if 3 litres or so of isotonic drink were waiting for me en-route, but after working the first ascent quite hard I realised I had to seriously ration my remaining half a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Look at which records?

Adventures like this are the rare exception rather than the rule for me; I could have tried harder if 3 litres or so of isotonic drink were waiting for me en-route, but after working the first ascent quite hard I realised I had to seriously ration my remaining half a bottle!
    Just compared to the lakes.. in the lakes they have numerous routes and numerous records..

In Snowdonia its been so unadventurous… and the loops which have been done are normally people like us who have moved in..

Paddy Buckley, Welsh 3000ers, Beddgelert Bounds, Snowdonia Horseshoe.. almost all non-local runners… in Northern Snowdonia in the runners there has been a huge absence of people exploring new loops or going for classic long distance loops.

There's loads of classic rounds which could be done. One thing I really like in the US is FKT's, fastest known times. In many areas, the white mountains for example, the high peaks are totally off limits for races so the only competition can be records. Some stunning loops. I just walked the pemi loop over 2 days and fancy a crack at the record.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...st-ma-ct-ri-me

Pretty good idea, so anyone can post a GPS link and claim records of certain loops… its a big scene here, I've got my eye on a few.

It's something which would be good to see on this forum..

Seem to be over the IT issues,

Another 16 miles yesterday, steady 4 miles in the morning, job interview.. have a position lecturing on evolution part time at a local University, then 12.5 last night. 95F and dew pt around 70-75, so heat index was probably over 100F..

Managed to hold 7:30's but just felt terrible. Had 4 water stops and had to call it at a fire station with 1 mile to go and hose down.. think it was Noakes' central governor theory coming into play.. just couldn't pick the pace up at all..

Massive storm last night so a lot fresher today, just did a steady 5.4..
    Last edited by IainR; 24-07-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Incredible how much easier running is in the cool..

Went out at 8 am and met up with another runner, 8 miles 6:40-6:50 face, just felt so easy compared to the 7:30's 3 days ago..

Track last night, 12 x 300's, 52-53 seconds, matched 100 m jog recovery. Comfortably 90+ for the week so nice week.

Incredible how much easier running is in the cool..

Went out at 8 am and met up with another runner, 8 miles 6:40-6:50 face, just felt so easy compared to the 7:30's 3 days ago..

Track last night, 12 x 300's, 52-53 seconds, matched 100 m jog recovery. Comfortably 90+ for the week so nice week.
    17 miles in the last week. All last Saturday. Think I ought to lace up!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!