Page 1419 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 41991913191369140914171418141914201421142914691519 ... LastLast
Results 14,181 to 14,190 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Club hill session tonight... reps up and down a hill of perhaps 180 metres long, not a massive incline, perhaps 9 or 10% average.

10 minute hard uphill reps, 10 mins downhill, 5 mins uphill, 5 mins downhill.

We stayed fairly close as a group for the first 20 mins, but then changing back to uphills was a real struggle for those not so used to running on hills, so I turned the screw a pulled out a big gap.

From a personal point of view I was fairly happy with the session, although obviously a little heavy-legged from the weekend. Broke my new Fell shoes in a bit more on the grass (these Irocks incredibly comfortable straight out of the box, but with Buttermere in the horizon I'm taking no chances), and even more satisfying managed to pierce the incredibly painful blood/gunge/blister underneath my toenail which was causing a huge amount of pain since the weekend.

We were visited by Coventry Godiva's most famous son tonight, with none other than David Moorcroft milling around amongst the group after the session tonight. Must be such an incentive for the huge junior section of the club, to see such a great athlete still a part of the club.
    Good effort Travs and enjoy your increasing mileage DT. Great to hear about Dave Moorcroft, but do the juniors know who he is? My brother in law was a renoun 110m hurdler from the same generation as Moorcroft, Jon Ridgeon. Took him to meet the kids at Notts ac and they'd never heard of him, where as the older athletes were queuing up to shake his hand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Good effort Travs and enjoy your increasing mileage DT. Great to hear about Dave Moorcroft, but do the juniors know who he is? My brother in law was a renoun 110m hurdler from the same generation as Moorcroft, Jon Ridgeon. Took him to meet the kids at Notts ac and they'd never heard of him, where as the older athletes were queuing up to shake his hand!!
    No idea if they know who he is, although i think our club is quite big on educating the kids about the history of the club.

Our junior section is absolutely massive, quite a sight to see on a Tuesday night when they are all out on the track and field, and various groups out in the grounds of the University. It's quite astonishing the effort that goes in, and i understand there's a waiting list for junior enrolment into the club. It's also equally remarkable how many juniors equals (in percentage terms) such a small return in high-level adults, when you take into account the obvious drop-out rate, teenagers discovering beer/girls/boys/etc.

Club night tonight. The planned session was a 6 mile run with a 2 mile 'time trial' the middle 2 miles.

Unfortunately I was outvoted in favour of a rep session on the grass. 2 sides of a football pitch hard, with 1 side recovery, x12.

So quite a fast session, I ran it hard although did the session in my socks as still breaking in my training shoes, and therefore a bit nervous about turning the sharp corners of the pitch and inflaming my blisters which are healing up nicely.

With an extensive track warm up on my own, the group warmup and warm down, managed 8 miles tonight.

Once Buttermere is done, I'm contemplating dropping to one club session a week, for a few weeks, and doing the 2nd hard session on the treadmill to mimic the upcoming Snowdon race... hard uphill for an hour, and then half hour with the gradient as low as possible (probably flat), as fast as possible.
    Last edited by Travs; 14-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.

80 minute progressive run this morning. After 40 minutes I was rather wondering if I could continue to up the speed every 5 minutes until the end. But inspired by watching Naylor's Run and a couple of interviews last night, where he mentioned along the lines of "run out hard, and hold it on the way back"..... I persevered.

10 miles, 2150ft. Not bad considering I was laid low yesterday with a bit of a cold/bug. I guess it was just my body protesting after a solid week of training straight off the back of a very tough Ennerdale. But felt ok this morning, and best of all my shoes seem to be broken in and no blisters!

All being well I'll begin my specific Snowdon training tomorrow with a tough session on the treadmill.
    Last edited by Travs; 16-06-2018 at 11:17 AM.

First 'Snowdon specific' training session this morning.

90 minutes (my initial target time for the race). 60 mins hard uphill then 30 mins downhill (actually flat as the treadmill doesn't go below flat).

As expected, this was a very tough session to stick to. My strong start (actually maintaining something that resembled a run) went fine up to about 35 mins, then I simply had to have a few mins at a power-walk, which as we know is the beginning of the end, and it was then a struggle to put together more than 3 or 4 minutes of continuous uphill, and it was with some relief that the hour ticked over (3350ft ascent), and I turned the gradient down to flat.

As someone who does my 'flat' treadmill running at a gradient of 4.5%, and having just completed an hour at 15% gradient, turning it down to completely flat really felt like going steeply downhill, and for about a minute I felt like I was going to fly off the front of the treadmill. Made good work of the final 30 mins, indeed it was more a case of keeping the legs turning over at a high rate, rather than dealing with fatigue.

Managed 9.5 miles and 3350ft, which I have just seen is almost identical to the race stats (9.5/3300ft)..... for some reason I thought the race stats were 10miles/3500ft, so I'm fairly happy with that as a first go. There's certainly more to come on the ascending side, I wasn't climbing to my best (I'll put that down to a heavy week of training and running Ennerdale last week).

I know it's not the same as running the race on the ground, but it's the best preparation I can put together, and I plan to do it 3 or 4 more times before the race.

Total for the week, 41 miles, 7850ft.

Next week got a tough looking track session on Tuesday, and a couple of steadier sessions, ready for the ordeal that is Buttermere on Saturday.
    Last edited by Travs; 17-06-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Super Moderator
    21 miles walk today along the River Otter (the one with the Beavers) today

East Devon Way planned for tomorrow - 40 mile Exmouth to Lyme Regis

Big week then?

Club night tonight, and a tough track session on a surprisingly humid evening.

I may not have been the fastest person on the track, but I was certainly leading the fashion stakes.... my old Dark Peak vest (brown/yellow/purple), black and green baseball cap (worn backwards of course), turquoise shorts, black/red/yellow trainers... how can one man have so much fashion sense and still be single?!

5 x 1000m reps with decreasing recovery.... 2mins, 90secs, 60secs, 30secs...

Heavy legged from a big weekend of training, I couldn't match the front couple for out-and-out pace, but not to worry, as I knew that once the recovery times got shorter I'd catch back up. I don't have the pace, but I have comparatively good powers of recovery, I guess a throwback to my kickboxing days when we'd do extremely hard rounds and be expected to recover quickly and go again.

As expected I started to close the distance on the 3rd and 4th rep, and blazed my way to the front on the 5th and final rep. A good session, and coupled with a decent pacy warmup and warm down, 7 miles in total.

That will be my only real hard session of the week. Buttermere on Saturday. I'll do something steady tomorrow, day off Thursday, and Friday afternoon I'll do a short run/walk up in the Lakes, tick off a couple more Wainwrights.
    Last edited by Travs; 19-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Super Moderator
    Makings of a decent week Brett with 41.1 miles walked today. Definitely getting stronger because I ran upstairs when I got back

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Makings of a decent week Brett with 41.1 miles walked today. Definitely getting stronger because I ran upstairs when I got back
    How many hours did the 41 miles take you? Did you walk all of it? Or did you run some of it?