Page 1426 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 42692613261376141614241425142614271428143614761526 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,260 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Aye, Parkruns are good speedwork. Especially for someone like me who considers any race under 1.5 hours something of a sprint, it's good to do parkruns and track work and find out how hard it really can be to run flat out for 18/19/21/+ minutes.

A solid weekend. A sharp 3.5 mile/2500ft hill session yesterday, and a steadier 12 mile/4500ft today. Brings the weekly total to 39 miles/13900ft.

Will be 'Fishwicking' next weekend at Weasdale Horseshoe/Sedbergh Hills. My first time doubling up on the fells. Have doubled up an XC/fell race over a weekend, some would argue that is equally as hard if not harder, with the flat out effort of a muddy XC, but i guess I'll find out next weekend. Will do a hard effort on the track on Tuesday, but main aim is to get to the start line next Saturday feeling fresh.

Weighed myself this morning, 77.7kg.... back to my "fight weight"..... my fight weight was 78kg, although I did weigh in at 77.3 on my last one. Did get down to the dizzying lows of 76kg in Thailand but that was under a regime of 6hrs training a day, 6 days a week, 2 meals a day of very clean food, and in that hot climate, so I'd be surprised to get that low over here. But all the same I'm pleased to not be carrying too much excess weight, despite my relatively large frame for a fellrunner.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Heading back down to the midlands from Scotland so grabbed a quick hour or so in the Lakes to run up Ullock Pike, along the ridge to Carlside and then back through Dodd Wood. Having been in the far north of Scotland for 2 weeks, the temperature down here really caught me out. Sweating buckets by the end but loved to be back amongst the fells if only for a short time.

Back to the track tonight and a tough session.

4 x 400m, 2 x 800m, 1 x 1000m, 2 x 800m, 4 x 400m, 90 seconds rest.

Went off hard in an effort to sustain a faster pace than usual throughout the session. Things started to get tough around the 2nd 800m rep. But managed to hold on, and even knock out the final set of 400m reps faster than the first set, just about keeping them at 80secs.

I'd gone off chasing some of the faster runners, and left my usual group behind, but admittedly they did slowly reel me in throughout the later reps as they had started at a more sensible pace, but I'm making a conscious effort to generally run faster and harder, so this was to be expected, and hopefully the hard effort will start to pay off in the coming weeks.

Unlikely to do any further hard sessions this week due to two races this weekend.

8 miles tonight, of which just over 4.5 were hard effort.

Club night again, and a 6 mile run with the middle two miles being hard effort. Bearing in mind the big weekend coming up, I took the whole run steadyish (aka I ran the first mile of the effort steady, but when one of the faster guys caught me I got excited and hammered it for the 2nd mile). But with a good track warmup, a total of 8 generally steady miles tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Heading back down to the midlands from Scotland so grabbed a quick hour or so in the Lakes to run up Ullock Pike, along the ridge to Carlside and then back through Dodd Wood. Having been in the far north of Scotland for 2 weeks, the temperature down here really caught me out. Sweating buckets by the end but loved to be back amongst the fells if only for a short time.
    The far north of Scotland.... what a place... Spent a long birthday weekend in Ullapool in 2007, staying at the Ferry Boat Inn on the sea-front. Arriving in Ullapool after a nine hour drive (complete with being stopped and fined for speeding south of Inverness), taking a cider out onto the sea wall outside the inn, in the sunshine, was absolutely magical.

Climbed Stac Pollaidh, just the drive up there was amazing, but the view from the top, endless lochans, mountains, and the silhouettes of Canisp and Suilven on the horizon, absolutely magical.

The next day, headed up one of the big mountains north of the Inverness-Ullapool Road, (Beinn Dearg?), climbing out of the forestry, onto the flanks of the mountain, we soon hit thick cloud and snow, and realising the view from the top, if we ever found it, would not be fantastic, so headed down, some intricate compass work getting us back to the car. Also saw a huge herd of wild deer, an attempt to get close to them quickly aborted, as they spotted me and disappeared within seconds.

That night, it was my birthday, and my football team had won the illustrious Nuneaton & District Sunday League Division 2 that day, so a big celebration on the cards. Endless pints of strong cider around 10%, plus an attempt at going across the very extensive top shelf of whiskies, saw me in quite a state, and i vaguely recall chucking up out the window of my room, which just happened to be directly above the front door of the inn. The drive back the next day was a bit of a chore, and included quite a few 'comfort breaks'. Driving south to the midlands, and seeing "Carlisle 101 miles" on a motorway signpost, is rather disheartening when feeling sorry for yourself.

Had an epic afternoon out on Ullock Pike a good few years ago. Drove up at dawn from Cov, parked up for an early mornig jaunt up Blencathra in very wet and cloudy conditions (but generally quite benign). Then drove round towards Bassenthwaite for an attempt up ullock Pike. Unfortuantely the weather was even worse and the wind was ferocious. Up on Longside Edge there was no choice but to stick it out, reaching a bit more of a sheltered position on Carlside i noticed the side of my face which was in the wind had gone completely numb and tingly. Bravely took the decision to drop from Carlside Col into the valley heading north (Southernadale?). Incidentally that is a lovely lonely valley.
    Last edited by Travs; 17-08-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    The far north of Scotland.... what a place... Spent a long birthday weekend in Ullapool in 2007, staying at the Ferry Boat Inn on the sea-front. Arriving in Ullapool after a nine hour drive (complete with being stopped and fined for speeding south of Inverness), taking a cider out onto the sea wall outside the inn, in the sunshine, was absolutely magical.

Climbed Stac Pollaidh, just the drive up there was amazing, but the view from the top, endless lochans, mountains, and the silhouettes of Canisp and Suilven on the horizon, absolutely magical.
    Just had 2 weeks up there and can't wait to go back. This trip was mainly about getting a flavour for the far NW and seeing where we would like to spend more time. We have the luxury of a campervan so it turned into a 1900 mile road trip including 4 days on the Orkneys and 3 on Skye. Not a huge amount of running but tried to get in at least half a days walking each day. The roads from Thurso to Durness and next day Durness to Ullapool were absolutely magical. Other highlights were the mountains of Assynt (and especially Suilven), the Cuillins and Trotternish. Orkney was a return trip - had a great time there last year and if it was not for the lack of hills, I could definitely live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Had an epic afternoon out on Ullock Pike a good few years ago. Drove up at dawn from Cov, parked up for an early mornig jaunt up Blencathra in very wet and cloudy conditions (but generally quite benign). Then drove round towards Bassenthwaite for an attempt up ullock Pike. Unfortuantely the weather was even worse and the wind was ferocious. Up on Longside Edge there was no choice but to stick it out, reaching a bit more of a sheltered position on Carlside i noticed the side of my face which was in the wind had gone completely numb and tingly. Bravely took the decision to drop from Carlside Col into the valley heading north (Southernadale?). Incidentally that is a lovely lonely valley.
    Southerndale it is - a lovely, quiet and usually quite sheltered valley so not a bad choice given the weather.
    The loop from Bassenthwaite up Ullock Pike, Carl Side, Skiddaw and then down over Bakestall and via Dash falls has to be one of my favourite runs. Ullock Pike has long been a favourite of mine. I used to do some work out on a farm in the Rosley/Wigton area and it was one of the easiest fells for me to get to. That and many holidays in Bassenthwaite have meant I have climbed it probably more often then any other. Had a few epics up there myself and also some truly memorable times - one Easter I woke up to a few inches of snow, went up there shortly after dawn and had the pleasure of being the first foot prints along long side edge and then on to Skiddaw with mist coming and going enough so that visibility was never a problem. Lovely stuff.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

After my first attempt at Fishwicking at the weekend, being a roaring success (by my own standards), I was raring to get back into training tonight, although realised I need to be careful as I still have a lot of fatigue.

Club night. 4 mile road effort, followed by 4 x 400m with 90 seconds recovery.

Found the 4 miles a real test after the weekend, and was well back behind the faster group which I aspire to keep up with most weeks. I guess I was at 'tempo' pace, I was working but certainly would usually have a couple more gears.

This warmed me up though, and I felt better on the track, and was only 3 or 4 seconds a lap off my usual pace.

Feeling pretty stiff now, but an easy session tomorrow with plenty of stretching, and hopefully I'll be back on form for Thursday at the club.

Total of 9 miles tonight of which 5 were effort.

Club night again. Kenyan Hills, 20 minute effort. Not really a hill by our standards.... probably 40-50ft ascent in 200 metres. Constant up and down for 20 mins. Still felt stiff from the weekend but ran reasonably well.

With a long warmup and run out to the session and a decent run back, 8.5 miles tonight.

Will do another easier session tomorrow and then take a decision on whether to gamble on a speedy Parkrun on Saturday.

After a 14 month break I returned to do a Parkrun. In fact the first time I've attempted the relatively new Parkrun in my hometown.

Obviously after over a year, I was hoping for a big pb to show for my training (previous best was 19:47).

Set off at what I thought was a steady pace and was soon clear at the front. After 5 mins there was only one guy within touching distance behind me and everyone else was out of the picture (this is a smaller Parkrun with only 120 or so runners, and the competition at the front end is not as hot as, for example, the Cov Parkrun which can see 700 runners and plenty of good club runners).

Unfortunately things started to unravel. We hit the trail section down through the trees, and once at the bottom I powered along the track, and missed the turn back up to the hill to the main path. Being a fellrunner I would never complain about marshalling, but perhaps a cone or direction arrow would have prevented this.

Unfortunately the guy 30 yards behind me was a debutant as well, so he blindly followed me. Nobody else was in shouting distance to call us back so we powered on. It became apparent we had gone wrong, so jogged back towards the correct junction, eventually just crashing through the bushes to return to the main path.

At this point I had no idea what position we were in, so continued on, pulling one place back, but the guy who got lost behind me pulled out about 20 seconds on me over the final 8 minutes or so. We still actually finished 1st and 2nd (me 2nd). If I'd known we were still in the top three after getting lost I'd have made a bit more effort over the final stages!

Finished dead on 20 mins, despite an estimated 400m extra, a good 20-30secs head-scratching over our predicament, and deciding whether to continue, plus a thorny detour through some trees and bushes. Reckon I was probably on for below 18:30 but I guess I'll never know until I try again.

Getting lost on a Parkrun... not a great moment for a fellrunner, never mind one about to take on the classic course at the LDMT. But a fun morning and with the run to the venue and back, another 6 miles in the bag.
    Last edited by Travs; 25-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Super Moderator
    Have you thought of trying GPS?