Page 1411 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 41191113111361140114091410141114121413142114611511 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,110 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Hot day in Lakes. Buttermere and up to Red Pike, rest of skyline ridge. Then first ever open water swim across Buttermere before finishing up Robinson and slow descent back to village. Meniscus didn't like the downhill so must be careful and not over ambitious. Nice to be out in hills again though.

Super Moderator
    Good stuff Simon - a bit ‘froggy sounding’ ? 😉

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Good stuff Simon - a bit ‘froggy sounding’ ? 😉
    It does sound froggy. But unfortunately DT, my knee really won't take 38 miles on the hill now. Therefore I have to add some bike work into a long challenge and currently working on a route for June 30th.

Super Moderator
    Hey that sounds a great challenge anyway Simon. 6 mile walk last night for me and Tuss at Bolton Abbey last
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 27-05-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Good stuff Simon, it's great running/walking country along there. I was up there last year, having ran over from Ennerdale/Lamplugh via the Gavel Fell/Hen Comb hills. Unfortunately I attempted the direct route off the north ridge of High Stile, attempting a shortcut down to Buttermere, in less than ideal conditions, and took an age when I'd have been better off carrying on down Scarth Gap. By the time I got down to the shore it was sweltering and it was a hot run back over the never-ending Floutern Pass to Ennerdale...

A couple of steadier days to recharge the batteries, and my weekly total so far is 23 miles and 7700ft. With a short race tomorrow, I'll reach the magic 10000ft mark, but miles will be down. Perhaps needed an easier week, and will look to build again next week, although the National Masters Road Relays next weekend will be in the back of my mind and will want to be fresh for that....

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Buck Hill and Beacon Hill, wearing the Wrong Shoes. Somehow I thought that, even after last night's thunderstorm, the paths would retain the dryness that the recent heatwave has given them, rather than returning to the morass of just a week ago. #ShouldhavewornWalshes
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After a bruising race at the weekend, I was finally able to resume training today, and knocked out a fairly arduous 6.5 miles and 2150ft. With the road relays at the weekend, I'll once again be struggling to get up around the 40 mile/10000ft mark, but we'll see how the week develops from here.

My average for the last 10 weeks was approx 30 miles/8500ft. Albeit I did have several weeks in there where calf injury, and illness, really set me back. Hopefully the next 10 weeks more consistent, although the UTS100 may well scupper that!

Really suffered from the effects of pushing so hard in last weekend's race. And my experience at the weekend has got me thinking how much my performances have been held back by my mental attitude. I pretty much always go off hard in races, and usually expect to be swamped up by the pack over the next few miles. But this time I looked back and there was a huge gap back to the pack, I really was up the front. Something clicked that I deserved to be there, and if I pushed hard I could maintain that position. So I absolutely flogged myself to death and subsequently got my best ever finish by a long way. The confidence boost and belief it has given me has been substantial, and I can't wait to get on the fells again. But the extra push to hold my position really fatigued me.

Club night tonight and still struggling a bit from the weekend. Once again neglected the longish run in favour of a speedier session on the grass. 5 x 800m reps on various levels, which incorporated perhaps 80-100ft of climb and descent on each rep. Actually managed to knock out 6 reps, but really struggled to pick up any speed. Total session included warmup and down, 7 miles.

Running the opening leg in the over-35's national road relays on Saturday (3 miles), so hoping for a miracle recovery between now and then. I'm sure I'll be fine on the day.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Buck Hill and the Outwoods. Often when it is raining and cold, that impels me to run faster, but not today. And there was no woman to chase me down the path from the Outwoods this time (see my post on this thread on 17/04/2018).

End of April, and my hands were getting too cold while running on a route that doesn't get above the 150-metre contour. Should have grabbed one of those lambs in the field below Buck Hill, and made myself some woolly gloves.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After another week where I haven't got enough miles in, and a short race yesterday, I went for a big session today. 2 hours on the treadmill, knocking up 11 miles and 6000ft. Perhaps not the ideal session, compared to reading about people running over their local fells, but at least an example of how determined I am to keep progressing.

Brings my total for the week up to 28.5 miles and 8150ft. Hope to improve on that next week.