Page 1378 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 37887812781328136813761377137813791380138814281478 ... LastLast
Results 13,771 to 13,780 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Super Moderator
    Good work Travs. Eight laps of a hotel car park near Belfast airport for me. Ron who?

hired a bike today. cycled about 15 miles south to a village, where I ditched the bike and ran up and down the highest peak in the northern part of the island (550ish metres, but steep ), back onto the bike and another 18 or so miles on a lovely route up and over the high plateau and a zoom down into Puerto Rosario, the capital city. Stopped for a huge pizza and pint of coke, which didn't do much for my desire to get back on the bike, but pushed out an hour or so of hard work back up the coast road to where I'm staying.

There is an 'advanced run' on Sunday of 20km from the hotel. Quite fancy it, but I'm training twice a day at the moment and probably need a rest day to make sure I've got the legs for it. (not for a moment suggesting I am in any way an advanced level runner, but the others runs at 5km and 7km aren't really worth bothering with)

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post

Sam, getting back but some way to go. have been running a few times with Holme P on a Monday night. Thinking about doing some track sessions in Bingham on a Tuesday. Do you do those?
    Simon, apologies for late answer - don't use the forum much these days. Yes, I try to do the HP track sessions when I'm free & very occasionally make it down to HP on a Monday. If you've not made it down to Bingham track sessions yet, they're very worthwhile. Folk take it in turns to lead session & all sessions allow for people to run at whatever pace is best for them. Friendly bunch too.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Many years ago, I had a tradition of a long run on Boxing Day. In those days, the family Christmas gathering was in Leigh-on-Sea, so the usual route for the long run was along the slopes above the Thames estuary, past Hadleigh Castle and through the area that subsequently became the venue for the 2012 Olympic mountain-biking competition.

I decided to revive the tradition today, with a route from home in Loughborough, visiting Leicestershire's two 248-metre summits (see my post on this page: http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...he-local/page3 ). Trudging through mud and standing water, my thoughts were with those Cumbrians who are having to cope with these conditions inside their homes. Anyway, a conservatively estimated 22km (no Garmin, no Strava, just a little wheel rolled along a map), with about 510m of climbing, took me 2h34m.

An interesting study of the "honeypot" effect. The first 6km included the Outwoods and Beacon Hill, two well-known public open spaces. There were plenty of walkers in both areas, usually accompanied by several humans, and even quite a lot of humans who didn't need a dog to take them for a walk. But after that, over many miles of Public Rights of Way and permissive paths through the countryside, I didn't see a single person until I was almost back in Loughborough.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 26-12-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Today's run for me in South Cumbria was more of a wade, it's put a pile of rain down, surprisingly the puddles were sort of bath watery warm even came across a swarm of midges, thoughts with those who've been flooded again

Master
    Xmas Day. 7 miles in and around Clapham (London as opposed to the Dales unfortunately!)
    Boxing day 9 miles up and down the Thames.
    Yesterday 6 miles of reps up and down the incline at Cromford.

Went off running in the dunes again. Was out for two hours quite comfortably. Saw an Egyptian Vulture circling in the skies, an awesome sight.

If I've gained anything from the past three weeks it's a bit of endurance. For the last week or so I've happily gone out for 1.5-2 hours every morning, and put in a fairly hard session at the gym each evening.

Interspersed with the odd 50 mile bike ride and some decent climbs, I'm pretty happy with my Xmas work. Still two days to go before flying home on Saturday night, and the grim reality of Marsden-Edale the following weekend.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Saw an Egyptian Vulture circling in the skies, an awesome sight.
    Presumably the Egyptian vulture also saw you, and was wondering when you were going to drop dead.

Haha yes I did think it was circling a bit ominously...!

Back in the dunes again this morning, only managed 1hr25 this morning, but a nice start to the day. Managed to help a Dutchman who was hopelessly lost by pointing him in the right direction, quite a comical episode as he didn't speak English, and my Dutch is far from fluent...

A Dutchman who didn't speak English?