Page 1385 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 38588512851335137513831384138513861387139514351485 ... LastLast
Results 13,841 to 13,850 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Master
    Ulswater way , did 39.4k pleasant enough except for the heaving throng around Pooley bridge and Aira force, otherwise pretty quiet all the way round. but you need to time yourself to miss the disembarking families at Howtown
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    . . . This morning's effort (on almost the same route) in bright, frosty weather left me feeling that it would have benefitted my fitness more to be sitting on a sofa reading a newspaper. I felt lacking in energy from the start. On the ascent of Buck Hill, which is usually my favourite part of this route, I had to stop and walk because the sun was blazing straight into my eyes at a low angle, but I actually felt relieved to have an excuse for a break from running. Then, three-quarters of the way up the long climb from the Woodbrook to Beacon Hill, I was brought to a halt by a sudden twinge in a hamstring. To add insult to injury as I gingerly plodded on a few seconds later, a bloke who might have been even older than me came running across at a path junction. I did manage to start running again after a minute or two, and felt somewhat better on the descent back home.
    First time over this route since the horrible run 12 days ago, described above. Similar weather: bright, cold and sunny, but windier. But a much better experience: not exactly full of energy, but no unfortunate incidents, and even my Achilles tendinopathy tolerated it quite well.

Arriving in the fields by the Wood Brook after the descent from Buck Hill, I noticed another runner ahead of me (about 50 metres, or a bit more). My conscious mind told me to relax, but my subconscious went straight into race mode. I caught him just before the crossing of the brook from the last field. "Steeplechase time", he remarked as we both noticed that some of the stepping stones were under water (even though the footpaths are still remarkably dry for the time of year). The brook crossing marks the start of the big (120 metres) climb to the top of Beacon Hill. Now even my subconscious could relax: there is no-one, at least in Leicestershire, who is slower than me on the flat but faster than me uphill. I glanced back halfway up the climb, and sure enough, he was out of sight.

First training session with my probable new local club (road/track/cross-country)

1 mile reps... Was quite a way out of my comfort zone, but this type of fast running is what I need to improve on... Having a nasty cold didn't really help, but couldn't really cry off on my first session! Didn't disgrace myself, and plenty of room for improvement, so all good...

By the fifth and final rep I was hitting my rhythm, unfortunately then it was time to warm down!

Kenyan Hills... Now finding a decent hill in Coventry to do decent reps on, is a challenge in itself... But with an intricate combination of measured ups and downs between lampposts, it was a tough workout.

A tough session after racing on Sunday, but interestingly I managed to hold my own with, and even drop one or two of the runners who I have trouble keeping up with on the flat. That should be the case, what with me (supposedly) being one of those lunatic fell runners, but the gradients weren't massive, maybe 7-10%...

Banned
    Well well well, I've just done the Local run run dressed as a Lion.
    13min/miles and sweating buckets.
    I could just be back ��

Banned
    Ha ha, fat lad has been out again for a 2.5m hilly run.

Cracking morning, legs feel like jelly and lungs are on fire.

Oh what have I been missing???

Might be the start of something ��

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Ha ha, fat lad has been out again for a 2.5m hilly run.

Cracking morning, legs feel like jelly and lungs are on fire.

Oh what have I been missing???

Might be the start of something ��
    Massive hurrah!!! Good to see you back Stagger. Long may it continue :-)

Good on you Stagger...

Did BG leg 1 yesterday. Fairly plain sailing up until Great Calva. I then tried a roundabout route via Skiddaw House to try and avoid the bogs and river crossing, made a right foul up and wished I'd just gone direct. 4 hrs 10 minutes to Threlkeld, then ran back to Keswick.

Being on top of Blencathra in the very last of the daylight, with the frost forming, and the lights far below, was absolutely fantastic.

Took a work-mate up Skiddaw via the tourist track today, attempted a bit of a run down. I stopped to take off my over trousers, and by the time I'd caught him back up he was knackered, so we had to walk back the rest of the way!

Banned
    Thankyou for your support.
    3.5m 600ft just steady.
    Starting to get back slowly ��

Well Done Mate!!!!
    Hopefully I'll also get back to "fell running" this year.... :-)
    Have been plodding around this years Kinder Trial "locations"...again today, more than murky
    Free place for you if you fancy a Crack......in this years KT....
    As I know you know it can be a rather interesting day out....around & about & a bite more
    Never mind all the Super Soup & Cake Mountain!!!
    Catch up soon
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..