Page 1394 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 39489412941344138413921393139413951396140414441494 ... LastLast
Results 13,931 to 13,940 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

15 miles steady today along the canal and back, although it was split in two, with a stop at a pub halfway for a drink.

Ran with company today, so it was nice to run at a steady pace, which is something I find hard to do on my own, as always feel I'm not working hard enough.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    In view of the weather, decided on a pre-breakfast run (which I don't usually favour), although it was 8:38 by the time I got out. Noticed a runner behind me on the first climb, the gentle drag up to the Outwoods. However hard I try, I can't stop my mind going into race mode when this happens. Managed to stay ahead of him, mainly because the vegetation on either side of the path meant that overtaking wasn't easy. Once into the Outwoods, I took my usual route up the short, steep climb in the angle between the two obvious paths; no-one ever follows me that way.

The rest of the run, over Buck Hill and Beacon Hill, was rather slow. On one section of the climb up Beacon Hill, there is a bridleway parallel to the footpath. Today there were some horse-riders trotting casually up the bridleway, but they were going faster than me. 61 minutes overall; I can still do this route in 57 minutes when i am feeling good.

Last night was supposed to be 2 miles steady, then 2 mile monthly time trial, then another 2 miles steady...

But bearing in mind got the 10 Peaks on saturday, and my hamstring was feeling a little tight, i for once took the sensible option and just did the 6 miles very steady...

That's it now until after the weekend, with the exception of a possible little pre-race recce on friday.

After the 10 Peaks last weekend, last week was pretty much a write off, with the exception of some very gentle work on the cross trainer.

Today I attempted a return to reasonable training. Managed 65 mins, 25. of which was hard uphill walking and the remaining 40 was very steady running. Got a lot of soreness (as opposed to specific pains) in my ankles, which I assume is just from the bashing I gave them last weekend racing.

I noticed that with the exception of the above soreness, my muscles recovered fairly quickly, and I was feeling physically quite sprightly by about Thursday, but even now I'm still sleeping like a log, and I've been feeling quite sleepy again by mid-afternoons. I guess getting up at 1-30am and racing for 17 hours Is bound to take a bit of a toll...

Track session tonight... was supposed to be 2 x 400m, 3 x 800m, 1000m, 1600m, 1000m, 3 x 800m, 2 x 400m. 60 seconds recovery between each. Current 'form' would suggest I would be looking to average perhaps 85 seconds a lap if I had a good day.

However I'm still feeling the effects of my long race. Managed 2 x 400m, 2 x 800m, 1000m, 1200m, 1000m, 2 x 800m, 2 x 400m. Averaged about 100 seconds a lap. Although on my last 400m I went for a flat out sprint and managed 83 secs.

I've never felt the effects of a race for so long. Admittedly it's only been 10 days, and it was over 50% longer time-wise than anything I've done previously, but I'm usually clear of any fatigue and pain within 5 days. Will continue to take it easy for a little while longer, but heading up to the lakes again this weekend and hoping to put in a couple of 20ish mile days, albeit nice and steady...

Staying in a lovely cottage in Ennerdale village this weekend.

Got out for a quick hour or so this evening, in pretty damp and cloudy conditions. Out of the village and down towards the lake, crossing the river and heading up through the plantation and onto Crag Fell. Then a rather confusing ridge across to Grike in zero visibility. Followed by heading straight off Grike down towards the lake (quite a steep descent once past the initial easy ground) and back through the plantation. 5-6 miles I guess.

Doing a much bigger outing tomorrow and hopefully Sunday as well.

Needless to say that once I left the village I didn't see a single soul...!
    Last edited by Travs; 07-07-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Fantastic day out today on the western fells.

Starting up on the Coldfell Road, went over Lank Rigg, then a tough slog down and up to Caw, then Haycock, Scoat Fell, Steeple, then an out and back to Red Pike, up onto Pillar.

Hung around on Pillar to see the Wasdale race come through, then steeply off the north west ridge of Pillar down into Ennerdale trees, following forest roads and paths back along the south shore of Ennerdale Lake back to the village.

On top of the 21 miles and 5500ft, managed to have a good look round the Scoat Fell - Red Pike area, which will hopefully be of benefit for next time I do the Wasdale race, and the added bonus of watching the front end of a champs race.

Lovely day but a little sunburnt. Hoping for another big day tomorrow. 8 new Wainwrights down so far this weekend, another 10 potentially up for grabs tomorrow if I'm able to do what I have planned.

Long day in the western lakes today.

Started off at Lamplugh on the western fringe, up over the grassy Burnbank Fell, Blake Fell, Gavel Fell... then a horrendous slog over to Hen Comb, and a confusing traverse of the Floutern Pass(all of the above in zero visibility).

Up onto the Buttermere Ridge... Great Borne, Starling Dodd, Red Pike (where I encountered the first people of the day), High Stile.

Attempted the direct route off High Stile. Not good, would probably have been better off carrying on over High Crag and down via Scarth Gap.

Quick pit stop in Buttermere, then over the Floutern Pass again to Ennerdale.

23 miles, 6000ft

Had hoped to include Haystacks and Fleetwith Pike, but a combination of tiredness/sunburn/lack of water, meant cutting those two out. But a solid weekend of 16 new Wainwrights and near on 50 miles, so can't complain...

These last two in Ennerdale area - were they walks or running?
    Last edited by luverlyjuberly; 14-07-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luverlyjuberly View Post
    These last two in Ennerdale area - wee they walks or running?
    Somewhere in between I would guess...

I was generally running, but certainly not at race pace. Did a lot more uphill fast walking than I'd do in a race, and was taking it very steady on the descents. Stops for food/photos/etc. I was more concerned with having long days out and avoiding any further injury, than bombing round at top speed.

The 2nd day especially took in some real rough and untrodden ground, and even walking was tough on some sections!

Seems to have worked well, I feel like I'm finally over my fatigue from the 10 Peaks race, and was able to manage a hard, albeit short uphill session yesterday, of around 1400ft in half an hour.
    Last edited by Travs; 14-07-2017 at 06:38 AM.