Page 1398 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 39889812981348138813961397139813991400140814481498 ... LastLast
Results 13,971 to 13,980 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Had a rather different day today, in contrast to my usual slogging myself to death in training.

First thing this morning a steady gym session with a quality 30mins on the cross trainer followed by decent weights and core work.

This evening didn't really have the energy for a big session, so went out for some technique work. There's the old mine 'pit' just down the road from my house, and there's some decent rough and undulating ground to run over. There's only three hills of any decent gradient, and even then they are only about 30-40ft high, but with the trackless ground it makes up a reasonable area to at least get some rough ground training.

Intention was to improve on my downhills. I've now got my climbing to a level which I would now say is 'good', but the flat running and downhill still needs work.

Getting my excuses in early.... darkness combined with a head torch issue, worn out trail shoes on slippy ground, and slightly stiff legs from yesterday.... I found it difficult. But a careful 30 mins or so really thinking about my technique and doing repeated downhills on slippy ground, seems to have got some things into my head.

Hopefully can see an improvement next time I hit a tricky descent on the fells.

Another interesting day of training. Gym session this morning with 40mins hard on the cross trainer, then a real good weights and core session.

Club night tonight, and the first of our winter Thursday sessions, which usually entail a speedy 7-8 mile road run. Tonight was no expection. What I noticed was how much easier I found it than last year to maintain a good pace over that sort of distance. I was by no means racing but was certainly stretching out a bit, but to maintain the same pace last year I'd have been blowing hard. So something's working!

Xc relays on Saturday, and as theoretically the weakest member of the four, I'm on the opening leg. Actually I was quicker than two of the team in the road relays a couple of weeks ago over the same distance, but it was only a matter of seconds, and they are definitely ahead of me in training at the moment, although it's a pretty balanced team and hopefully have a chance of a good masters placing.
    Last edited by Travs; 19-10-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Looks like a good training plan you have there Travs. Here's a look at the day of a back end runners / dog handler training day.
    Friday
    October 20
    Conditioning

Core Blimey/Leg Cycles
    3 x 10 Leg Cycles

3 x 10'' plank

10 Jogging Wall Lean
    10 Toe Taps
    10 Knee drives
    Followed by a 2 hour walk today with friends, dogs and lunch after :-) For the planks make that 5" as those buggers kill me!!

I'm fairly lucky in that I work quite convenient office hours, and have relatively few commitments, so can throw everything into training.

Hopefully all this work will mean I can start to keep up with your hubby...!

After a 6km runout at the cross country yesterday, I still felt the need to get in a reasonably big session. Opted for the treadmill which gives me the opportunity to duck out and use the cross trainer if the stresses of yesterday got too much.

Big uphill session, 1hr40. Managed 5200ft.

Need to watch myself a bit this week. Another hill session with the club this coming Tuesday, and the likelihood of more cross country next weekend, need to make sure there's a bit of rest built in beforehand.

yesterday was a fun session while being headbutted by Storm Brian
    Going Loopy
    Find a loop that takes about 90 seconds to jog round.
    Your recoveries will take 90 seconds to jog.
    Your reps will start at 85 seconds and get faster and faster until you can't get any faster!
    85 seconds
    90 seconds recovery
    80 seconds
    90 seconds recovery
    75 seconds
    90 seconds recovery
    and so on...
    A fun session. It doesn require quite a bit of clock watching. Don't worry too much about hitting precise times. The goal with the reps is to make them a bit faster. If the recoveries are longer it doesn't matter since they are recoveries.
    10 minute jog before and after to warm up/cool down
    I got them down to 60' before I was gasping for breath.

Today was 45' E - This time getting a tail whipping from Storm Brian. Bloody hell ... extreme weather weekend that was haha

My mojo has dropped of significantly. I do need to pick it back up but it'll be into November now before I get a real chance to get a proper run at it!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Kenyan Hills tonight.

Not sure exactly what makes them Kenyan. Especially not on a cold damp night in Coventry. But the general idea is to keep the effort constant throughout both the ups and the downs, as opposed to hill 'reps'.

Only a 25 minute effort, which allowed us to go at it quite hard. Wasn't quite steep enough for me to excel, probably only about 7-8% gradient at most, but no harm in working at things I'm not so good at. Well up the front of the group tonight, although on a steeper hill session I'd be looking to be right off the front.

Had a good little 'sprint finish' over the final 95secs of the session, with the coach. Although due to the hard reps I do in the gym, I'd back myself against anyone in the group over that sort of distance uphill (not being big-headed).

Coupled up with a couple of miles out and a couple of miles back, was a nice session.

There's another rep,session planned for later in the week, although have to take a decision on that one as got another XC on Saturday. 3km relay leg, which may as well be a 100m sprint for me, it will be way too fast and furious and I fully expect to get blown away.

10 x 460 metre reps tonight on paths in the University grounds. Took it quite steady as got xc on Saturday. Around 93 seconds for the first five, then sped up to about 89 seconds for the last few.

3km at the xc on Saturday, this will hurt and be by far the shortest race I've done in any discipline. I guess I've got to treat it like a final rep in training and go for it, and of course get a very strenuous warmup done.

After a fast paced xc yesterday, I felt surprisingly sprightly today, so knocked out a steady 90mins on the treadmill uphill. Not pushing too hard, more of a steady run, but still ended up totalling 3100ft of climb. Then 25 x 90kg and (an agonising) 38 x 110kg on the leg press.

Nice and easy tomorrow before back to the club on Tuesday.