Page 1401 of 1689 FirstFirst ... 40190113011351139113991400140114021403141114511501 ... LastLast
Results 14,001 to 14,010 of 16886

Thread: Today's Training

Thank you John K. Will be looking forward to hearing about your "long distance jaunt" that you mentioned in another thread...

I am ultimately trying to build up to a very long race in 2019, but one step at a time. Early next year have 2 x 40+ mile races in 8 days, and then the 102 mile Ultra Trail Snowdonia in May, to aim for first.

Super Moderator
    Long time no see but good to see you’re still getting out John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Long time no see but good to see you’re still getting out John

Hey up DT yep still getting the miles in and maintaining my stamina, just in case I can convince myself that I could pull off a couple of crazy long distance challenges that are worming away in my head.
    The Routes are all but complete just a little more tweaking ( nothing starting in Keswick ) Although lakes based.

Anyway lets not hi - jack the daily training thread.

My daily training is structured around two sessions of 1 1/2 - 2 hrs one early morning before breakfast (fat burning) and another late afternoon / early evening seven days a week and all off road (any road I encounter is always walked in order to reduce the potential for injury ) my goals require endurance rather than speed and therefore any daily accounting of what I do would soon become monotonous.

I trust you are still getting out DT especially this time of year with the headtorchers
    The older I get the Faster I was

After a tough xc on Saturday, followed by the Cardington Cracker on Sunday, followed by a couple of days recovering/suffering, it was back into it tonight with a club 7.5 mile run around the cold/wet/dark streets of south Coventry (the new City Of Culture, no less).....

Still got soreness and a bit of fatigue in the legs from the weekend, so wasn't able to push to keep up with the guys I'm usually running with. Turned the speed down a little so I can live to fight another day, as got some strenuous training planned for the weekend.

Now building towards long distance races next year, with Marsden-Edale the next biggie.

Today's plan had originally been a tough uphill session in the gym...

But opening the curtains this morning and seeing the snow, I decided I had to get outdoors for a run, particularly as my next big race is the wintry Marsden-Edale...

Ended up doing 15.5 miles, along the Coventry Canal, a lap around the city centre (which incidentally is a lot more appealing covered in snow and devoid of people!), and a more direct run back along the roads.

Was fairly rough going along the canal towpaths of mainly virgin snow, taking me around an hour and a half to cover 9 miles. Slightly easier coming back along the roads and paths where the snow had been trodden away.

Gave my Kahtoola microspikes their first real test today, and found them very good. Once I'd got them on they stayed put and I totally forgot about them, and they didn't need adjusting at all. Admittedly there was a little bit of "snowballing" when I ran through 6-8 inches of snow along the towpaths, but was barely noticeable, and upon hitting firmer ground the snow was dispersed within a few steps. On the compacted snow/ice along the busier inner city paths and roads, they were absolutely superb.
    Last edited by Travs; 10-12-2017 at 04:30 PM.

After a pretty moderate year caused by various issues I seem to have my 'mojo' back. Got going a bit in November and decided to try the Run Everyday December malarkey. Now ran 10 days consecutive for the first time EVER!!! Feels good! Back to enjoying every run...no stiffness, tiredness and no '20 minute warm-up' to start!! Who'd have though...running regular works!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Super Moderator
    I’ve run one day in succession but don’t plan to go out today

Due to the weather, travel issues, etc, a rather depleted club session tonight. Just 5 of us hardy souls turned up, but the planned session was not really possibly due to the ice.

Ended up 'discovering' a way into the artificial football pitches and did a nice interval session around the perimeter. Very short and sharp for me, so it was painful at the time, but recovery was quick, and leaves me relatively fresh to continue the hard work tomorrow.

Seemed to cope with running in the snow a lot better than the others, I guess that is expected due to my Fell legs. Cornering was a slight issue in worn down trail shoes in the dark!

Have been struggling massively just lately. Have had a month long problem with severe ear-wax alongside infection, which has for the most part been just uncomfortable, but in the last week became extremely painful, resulting in a trip to hospital, and later today a trip to a private clinic to hopefully remove the issue.

Also had quite a bad stomach virus for the past 4 or 5 days. All of which has resulting in my only training over the past week being a couple of very short easy runs, both cut short early with a sprint finish back home to the toilet!

Feeling a lot better now, despite the ear issue, and with a couple of tough club sessions coming up this week, I went out this morning for a bit of a fitness test. Powered by that traditional runners breakfast of 3 Quality Street, I knocked out a fairly hard 45 minutes uphill on the treadmill, clocking up 2550ft in climb. The uphill running does seem to be coming along, finding it easier to maintain, and easier to recover from.

Caused much merriment in the gym by quite literally being "steaming" due to the effort, as the heat from my body escaped into the freezing gym air, making me look even more pale and ghostly than usual...

After more twists and turns in my ear issue, resulting in me now being on painkillers and antibiotics, and still not having regained my full appetite from my stomach bug... I confidently headed out for tonight's Kenyan Hills session. 30 minutes constant effort up and down a hill approx 400m long and maybe a gradient of 8%

For the first 5 or 6 minutes I felt fine and was up the front as usual for a hill session. But rapidly began to feel pretty ropey and gradually slowed down to the point that I pretty much jogged the final 10 minutes.

Whether it was the painkillers, the antibiotics, the stomach, the horrible feeling of having one ear basically swollen closed... I suspect a combination of everything... it was probably slightly unwise to attempt a tough session given that I can assume my reserves of energy are quite low. Although I did manage yesterday fine.

But a slightly low note on which to finish what has been a superb and very challenging first year of club training. Hopefully I can make an appearance at the track session on Thursday which will be the finale to the year, but unless I'm feeling a lot better than my current state I won't be risking it...