Page 1402 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 40290213021352139214001401140214031404141214521502 ... LastLast
Results 14,011 to 14,020 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

A mixed past couple of days.

Yesterday did a steady 45mins on the stair climber and clocked 3250ft climb, followed by some heavy squats.

Today I had a go at the track session, despite still having the remnants of my stomach bug, and mid way through my course of antibiotics (and still suffering ear problems).

Session was 1000m, 800m, 400m, 800m, 1000m, 4 x 200m. I made it to the end of the 2nd 800m before calling it a day, the hard running really affecting me, as it did last Tuesday on the hill session.

Had been planning to do the xmas day park run and aim for a good pb, but I think over the xmas period, bearing in mind the past week, I'll keep things longer and steadier, until fully recovered.

Big uphill session on the treadmill/stairclimber today. 2 hours and clocked up 7600ft of climb.

The final 30mins were quite painful as I turned the screw a bit, in order to try and break the 7500ft mark. But felt spritely enough after to knock out a few sets of squats.

Planning a reasonable xmas morning run but nothing spectacular, something local and certainly no more than 18-20 miles maximum.

Had been planning to do the xmas day Parkrun, but decided on a longer run instead, and managed 17 miles along the Coventry Canal.

Was nice to see half a dozen or so others also running along the canal on xmas day. Also quite heartwarming when running through a very run-down part of the city, to see a couple of kids very happily playing with their new radio controlled boats in the canal...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Unlike Travs, I couldn't get out on Christmas Day, so I went out this morning in the sunshine but with the paths sodden after the overnight deluge. Same route as Boxing Day two years ago: Beacon Hill, Copt Oak, Timberwood Hill and Lubcloud; but 7 minutes faster, due mainly to not getting lost on the permissive path across Charnwood Lodge nature reserve. Thanks to Leics & Rutland Wildlife Trust for improving the signage; indeed, many thanks to LRWT for creating the permissive path network across the reserve. Until about 20 years ago, the whole reserve including Timberwood Hill was off limits to the public (even LRWT members needed a permit to visit), but the permissive paths now provide the best fell-running in Leicestershire.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Managed a spritely 40 minute hill session on the treadmill this morning, clocking up 2300ft. After the 10min "power-walking" warmup, I managed to spend 26.5 of the following 30 minutes actually running up the 15% gradient, which at least shows my staying power is getting there.

Between now and New Year's Day, going to get in a long hill session and another long flat run, then a few days until the first xc race of the year the next weekend.

Waking up this morning and seeing none of the forecast snow, instead chucking down with rain, I abandoned my plans for a long snowy run, and opted for the big uphill session in the gym.

2.5 hours which were split into 1.5 hours on the treadmill, and an hour on the stair climber. Clocked up 9100ft in total. Started to get a little uncomfortable after about 1hr20, and the final 30mins was very hard to keep pushing the pace, but my final 30 mins on the treadmill was almost identical in ascent to my first 30 mins (1600ft), so I guess I paced it reasonably well.

Fully aware it's not of the same benefit as a 2.5 hour Fell run would be, but still it was 2.5 hours of good hard work. Similar to a track session, in that if you're prepared to be honest with yourself and work hard, there's nowhere to hide on a treadmill/climber... it just keeps going.

Starting as I mean to go on... 19 miles this morning. First 9 miles took me along the canal into the city centre, then a convoluted route back via the south-western, western and northern suburbs, to bump the mileage up. Not a particularly fast run, but all about getting the miles in.

Cross Country next weekend, followed by Marsden-Edale the following weekend, so will probably be going a little easier in training over the coming weeks.

A steady 8 miles around the south-western Coventry roads, in preparation for the Warks XC champs (10km) on Saturday.

Feeling quite strong after putting the long sessions in over xmas, but I wonder if the relative lack of fast running will haunt me on Saturday...

First proper club session of the new year. 8 x 800m with 90 seconds rest, on road rather than track tonight.

Due to the training done over xmas I found it quite easy aerobically. But I guess due to the combined effects of my increased mileage, and the cross country at the weekend, my legs felt quite tight, and I couldn't quite muster up the leg speed.

There will definitely be no more hard efforts this week before Marsden-Edale, may even duck out of the Thursday night club session and do an easy gym session with plenty of stretching instead. Need to be going into the weekend fresh as there's enough to worry about in that race, without fatigued legs...!
    Last edited by Travs; 09-01-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Seen while running through Beacon Hill Country Park this morning: a large group of runners coming towards me, with about seven women at the front, and a similar number of men a few paces behind. The Age of Chivalry is still with us; or were the women thinking, "Those blokes are so slow, I wish we could go a bit faster."?

Higher up on Beacon Hill, where I usually stay on the paths, I went "off piste" on the descent today. The British Longhorns and Highland Cattle that have been grazing the area in Summer for the last few years have done a good job of keeping the bracken down, so there is some very pleasant running over rough ground. But I wish my eyes wouldn't water so much on descents; it makes it difficult to see where I am going.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges