Page 1405 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 40590513051355139514031404140514061407141514551505 ... LastLast
Results 14,041 to 14,050 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Good luck with the calf Travs.

I have just come out of a bad month and your post has prompted me to check my mileage/ Ascent which comes out at 751km with 18135m of ascent to date this year, and this last week was 120k with 2,291m of ascent. I should hopefully now be able to start to up the training a bit (well when I have finished tiling the bathroom )
    Wow for someone who's had a "bad month" those are some hefty stats!!

Perhaps when I was in Fuerteventura for a few weeks I was possibly knocking up close to 70 miles, and when training in Thailand I was definitely doing 50 miles a week (very very steady) on top of specific training....

But when combined with a full time job and "life" I don't think I've ever really topped 50 miles a week (including a long race at the end), and I strongly suspect on an average week I'm probably around 30 miles.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-02-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Another stunted week due to the above-mentioned calf issues. Have taken it very steady, in the hope of being fit to race in the National XC tomorrow. A last minute "fitness test" in the gym this evening and went as well as could be hoped, so I'll certainly be travelling down to Parliament Hill tomorrow and making an attempt at racing. We'll just have to see how it goes.

This weeks stats so far are 8 miles and 6000ft, of which most has been hard walking as opposed to running.

Super Moderator
    What have you been walking up? 8ml / 6000ft is very impressive unless the Midlands has suddenly become the Highlands

If you haven’t been doing maybe think about strengthening on the calf

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    What have you been walking up? 8ml / 6000ft is very impressive unless the Midlands has suddenly become the Highlands

If you haven’t been doing maybe think about strengthening on the calf
    That's been cranking the treadmill up to highest gradient and sweating away. Not the highlands unfortunately.

Super Moderator
    Four mile walk today. Thinking of getting fit

Good stuff DT.

A frustrating week, as did absolutely no training from Monday to Thursday. Mainly due to it being an absolute necessity that I get my calf sorted, and a bit of travel chaos due to the weather.

Felt very fresh to start up again on Friday, and since then knocked out a fairly respectable 21.5 miles and 8800ft. Most importantly, the calf appears to be back in normal working order. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of proper quality sessions in this week, and I'm absolutely buzzing for the Edale Skyline next weekend.

Super Moderator
    I totted up I was walking about 6 hours over the weekend. Good news re your calf Travs

Cheers.

First club session for several weeks tonight. After all the hill work I've put in over the last few days, I was hoping for a track session, only to find out we were doing... a hill session!

Very short and sharp. 8 uphill reps, and 4 downhill reps, distance was no more than 250mtrs, and it was certainly not a steep hill, perhaps 8% gradient, so a very fast session.

Felt good though, absolutely no calf issues, I pushed it hard and can safely say it's in good nick. Would have preferred a longer session, or a substantial set of reps on the track, bearing in mind the long distance efforts which I have coming up soon. But I have to remember the priorities of the club do not necessarily align with mine. Road relays a week on Saturday, so tonight's session was more geared towards that with the sharp speed work.

Master
    haven't posted for a while as basically I cant run anymore due to worn out knee, but ever the optimist I have plans and keep fit just in case I can return. Swim/cycle/with limited running is main aim and training focussing on bike and swim mainly. Saturday and Sunday just gone did a mini gym based tri. 1 hour in pool, straight onto 1 hour on bike about 24 miles, and then 45 minutes on stepper (this doesn't seem to hurt knee!) Looks as though I need to find things that are uphill only. Trying to train for a swim, bike and then a little bit of mountain running/walking challenge in lakes this coming summer.

Travs. my local gym steppers measure floors climbed rather than feet of ascent. What about the ones you use? Do you know how far a floor is?

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Travs. my local gym steppers measure floors climbed rather than feet of ascent. What about the ones you use? Do you know how far a floor is?
    Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear about your current situation, and hope the knee improves enough for you to do your stuff.

Yes my stairclimber in the gym also measures floors climbed. I go on the basis that 1 floor = approx 10 feet... Based on a very rough rule of thumb that one step = about 8 inches, and 1 floor = 15 steps. Then I just round my total down to the nearest 50 feet to give another margin for error.

I could be over-estimating the climb (although in all likelihood I think I may actually be slightly underestimating). But 10ft per floor won't be far off.