Page 1415 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 41591513151365140514131414141514161417142514651515 ... LastLast
Results 14,141 to 14,150 of 16891

Thread: Today's Training

Super Moderator
    Sorry didn’t see you Steve. Stunning day to be out either on foot or bicycle

Resumed training today after getting over the UTS, and will do another treadmill/gym session later.

Finally a relief to get back to training and thinking about "normal" Fell races like Ennerdale and Buttermere (god help me!). These are the types of races I'd like to see as my bread-and-butter, and really improve.

I can't lose sight of the fact that I've worked hard and progressed a long way in the last 6 months, a couple of top 10's (albeit in smaller fields), but I do feel that someone with my ability, and more importantly, time to train, should have better pb's than I currently do at Borrowdale (4:50), Buttermere (a chaotic 7hrs), Welsh1000 (6hrs), and Peris (5hrs).

Not disrespecting the many people who wouldn't manage these times, but I still feel I've got a good amount of progression in me, so will be working hard again in the coming months.

Also quietly looking forward to Snowdon in July.

Back to positivity...!

Super Moderator
    32 mile walk today on Dales Way

Nice one DT you've certainly been racking the long outings up...

A mixed return to training this week. I've been suffering with mild Achilles tendonitis. I think caused by my 'day to day' running shoes which I use on road/track/grass/trail, being far too harsh for some of those surfaces. Although I love the trainers (La Sportiva Bushidos), it's twice it's happened now, so I've got to accept it's more than coincidence and go for something with a bit more support/cushion. I got on absolutely fine with Akasha's last year, and am now trying the similar Ultra Raptors as my everyday choice.

Still have some lingering pain which I need to wait to go away, so can't rack up the miles too quickly just yet. As a result, only managed 23 miles, but a decent 11700ft. The fact that I've knocked up nearly 12000ft of incredibly hard work, since Tuesday, with seemingly no fatigue, must be a good sign, and hopefully an increase in mileage next week as I resume club sessions, with a simply horrible looking track session coming up on Tuesday.

Decided on a stairclimber session this morning, in an attempt to climb a bit more steadily, after some quite reckless hill sessions over the weekend. At least with a stairclimber you are forced into a power-walk.

Final score was 4500ft in 61mins. Was aiming for 4400ft in the hour, and just topped off the last few feet to round it up.

Quite difficult mentally to run a "negative split", especially being 60ft down after the first 15mins, but just had to trust my legs and power through the final 15mins a bit harder.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, Ulvfrscroft valley, Cattens Rough, and back via Buck Hill: 90 minutes, longest run of the year so far, and I didn't have to dip into the food in my bumbag.

Big contrast between the crowds on Beacon Hill and the path from Ulverscroft to Cattens Rough, which showed little evidence of anyone using it since the grass (and thistles, and nettles) started coming up earlier in Spring. At one stage I slowed to a walk on a mild uphill through deep grass and thistles. The next field had sheep, but one had somehow escaped onto the path I was coming along. It panicked, and somehow pulled itself between the bars of the kissing gate before I could give it helping hand. The rest of the sheep were then spooked, and started running across the field with their lambs, so I decided to walk across that field to avoid creating any more panic. Unlike the sheep in the fields near Buck Hill, they are obviously not used to seeing humans on the footpath through their field.

Full marks to the farmer who owns the land between Beacon crossroads and Ulverscroft: he has spread wood chippings around the entrances to the fields, where the cattle would otherwise create mud-baths.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    Good work lads

Our old forum pal Dom will be delighted their still life in Today’s Training

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Need to spread the message that this thread is for everyone, including people who do even less training than me.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Plenty of training done but most folk download and compare on strava these days (as most of you know).
    My 2,000Km with 50,000m of ascent, so far this year is all on there.
    It is so easy get home from run take watch off set phone app to sync head for shower, get dried and changed grab a brew and sit down to check your stats and compare them with those of your mates all without the need to boot up a PC and sit down typing.

Saves quite a bit of time over a year and given that a lack of time is a often used excuse for not getting enough training done then Strava
    has a big plus.

Shame really

Last edited by JohnK; 28-05-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Decided on a stairclimber session this morning, in an attempt to climb a bit more steadily, after some quite reckless hill sessions over the weekend. At least with a stairclimber you are forced into a power-walk.

Final score was 4500ft in 61mins. Was aiming for 4400ft in the hour, and just topped off the last few feet to round it up.

Quite difficult mentally to run a "negative split", especially being 60ft down after the first 15mins, but just had to trust my legs and power through the final 15mins a bit harder.
    Funny kind of world where indoor feats impress more than those achieved outside,but having recently taken to the stepper that is impressive Pete. I think my hour best is 3500 feet setting the machine at a steady 12 or 13. I find limiting factors are simply how much I sweat. Seems sweating is a rare occurrence in my gym. I often wonder if those that don't sweat are more fit, or do they just put in little effort? I am without doubt the sweatiest person in my Gym. A title to be proud of or not? To hit 4500 feet in an hour will see rivers flow! Will keep you updated!