Page 1496 of 1692 FirstFirst ... 49699613961446148614941495149614971498150615461596 ... LastLast
Results 14,951 to 14,960 of 16913

Thread: Today's Training

starting to feel like I'm running again.

overall today 5.25 miles, 309ft, 47 mins through Witton Park, Cemetery and Pleasington on gravel tracks and quiet roads.

I chucked in a couple of 525 yard loops in 2:13 and 2:06 in the middle with approx. a minute rec on a lap in a new section at the top of the cemetery.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Cemetery's are always good for speed training, especially in the dark!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

11 miles and 2650ft today... still looking on course for 40 miles this week (but might not quite make 10,000ft), which wouldn’t be bad considering the other commitments that go along with this week, plus two short races as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    11 miles and 2650ft today... still looking on course for 40 miles this week (but might not quite make 10,000ft), which wouldn’t be bad considering the other commitments that go along with this week, plus two short races as well...
    how do you manage that much ascent per mile in the west midlands?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Cemetery's are always good for speed training, especially in the dark!
    I'll keep that in mind. A planning application has just gone in for a new cemetery next to one of my usual running routes.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    how do you manage that much ascent per mile in the west midlands?
    At least 90% of my weekly climb is treadmill based.... meaning that I effectively do no descending in training, unless away in the hills...

Which undoubtedly explains my comparatively poor descending.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    At least 90% of my weekly climb is treadmill based.... meaning that I effectively do no descending in training, unless away in the hills...

Which undoubtedly explains my comparatively poor descending.
    Not sure I could mentally manage such a regime

anyway, back to it. This is yesterday's training - had "Bad Gateway" issue getting on the forum yesterday.

Got up around 7:30 and as the morning broke, it looked a little cracker from home. Over witton had light cloud and glimpses of blue sky and I headed for Tockholes.

I arrived at the Royal Arms car park to entry level clag and the Tower and most of Darwen Moor was out of sight.

Wanted a steady, longer one than my typical 5 mile in an hour.

Managed 6.75 mile, 1300ft in 85 minutes.

It was a pretty buffeting wind at times on top, especially around the top of Aggies.

Overall, the week was just over 20 miles and over 2000 ft. Not much but my best week since end June.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Great stuff WP...

As predicted a couple of days ago, I finished the week off on 40 miles/9550ft....

This week will be similar, if not less climb, as got another short fell race, and county XC next weekend to try and stay fresh for...

Steady 8 miles today...

Did some old-school strength work today on top of the usual strength work.... heavy farmers walks with dumbbells. Some with equal weights both sides, and some with unequal weights on each side to really work the core. Seemed (for me anyway) that I could have managed to easily carry heavier weights, but my grip strength was the limiting factor to what I could carry for a decent distance...

So then I went onto some old fashioned grip strength training... pinching two weightlifting plates together and holding them in my hands as long as possible.... end result I struggled to grip the steering wheel on the way home, and could barely hold the toothbrush this evening...

Mrs WP has always been the better runner. A very good junior until 18, then on her comeback at 38 she won a few races and was circa 40m for 10k and could get round a fell race in decent nick.
    She once reccied the 3 peaks with me in 5 1/2 hours of little or no training.

She hasn't run much for 5 years. A few niggles, and around 3 years ago she got legged up in a wire she didn't see in a layby on a country road, fell and shook herself up. She's probably only done a few runs since and nothing for over 6 months.

So thank you Burnley. Your poor performance today left her so disappointed she needed to get it out of her system and I kept her company.

Nothing special. An undulating 3 mile loop om the road from home in 29:30 but hopefully it will encourage her to do a bit more so we can get a few steady trail runs in together again this year.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell