Page 503 of 1690 FirstFirst ... 340345349350150250350450551355360310031503 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 16893

Thread: Today's Training

Re: Today's Training

Not the best day for it but I drove up to Dent this morning to have a run around the 2 Ridge route I fancied. Down below 1400’ it was fairly mild with good visibility but once above 1400’ cloud and mist blocked out all but the moor 40’ around you. The route up to Whernside summit follows the race route up the Craven Way to Boot of The Wold and then up past Whernside Tarns to Knoutberry hill and then onto the ridge where the mist seemed to be travelling much faster and was much colder and turned my legs a mid red colour. The ridge path follows the wall all the way down to Twistleton Scars which must make it one of the longest dry stone walls in the Dales. The views should have been good heading down the ridge with Chapel Le Dale on your left with Ingleborough rising up at the other side of the valley and the coast straight ahead and some of the Lakeland peaks jutting up at the far side of Gragareth on your right but it wasn’t until the top of the scars that the view opened up. A good steep drop off through the scars onto the path that takes you into Kingsdale and which the waterfall walk uses – a short diversion would allow you to take in Thornton Force if you wanted a look. Heading toward the Kingsdale road there seemed to be a lot of activity with 20 or so cars and people milling about whistling. The climb up to the Turbary Road was scattered with farmers whistling – apparently it was a drag hunt which I can only presume means the dogs are following the scent of something dead that has been dragged around the hillside a few times? Leaving the tuneful farmers behind I left the Turbary road after the 2nd gate and headed off piste diagonally up toward the ridge of Gragareth which I could not see for the mist but which I eventually hit at just the right point before the stile. Again, another wall side path runs along this fine ridge but today the views were not to be had. Approaching Green Hill the mist cleared in patches giving snapshots of the vista to the west, with dramatic steep sided valleys and the Barbon fells beyond Casterton. It looked very desolate and what I think was Castle Knott and Calf Top looked like a huge jagged ridge on the horizon penning in the valleys and lower slopes between them and me. After Green hill came Great Coum which at this point picked up the Whernside race route back into Dent. A compass bearing across the huge mist filled field down to Blea Gill Rigg proved useful and then it was obvious track back down into Dent via Flinter Gill.
    In all 19 miles and just under 4000’ of ascent completed in 3:25. The only bit I found un-runnable was the initial climb out of Kingsdale which went across a lot of limestone pavements with deep Grykes and then the spongy fell side after leaving the Turbary road, apart from that there was no walking. This will make a great route in winter when we have a clear, cold day and maybe a scattering of snow on the tops. I will give it another go then and take my camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images

shame the views were not any better, hopefully, i'll be able to have a go next time around

You'll have to start your own Ady's adventures thread like Stolly Good stuff Ads

Oh and a 'drag' hunt is where the horses and riders etc follow an aniseed trail.

used to go on one on a boxing day in my horsey youth!

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    You'll have to start your own Ady's adventures thread like Stolly Good stuff Ads

Oh and a 'drag' hunt is where the horses and riders etc follow an aniseed trail.

used to go on one on a boxing day in my horsey youth!
    i really thought it was where they go chasing loads of men dressed up as women!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    i really thought it was where they go chasing loads of men dressed up as women!
    Like this

Ew Er - never got one of those with my bike

7.5 hilly miles on road last night as an informal race

70 mins on road on bike today in the foggy/drizzling S**T weather

steady run on trails in new sneakers tomorrow
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

An hour of leg burning silliness in the gym - I need a lie down

7.1 miles, 10mins Tempo by side of canal in Dukinfield

Club training night 7.65 miles tonight including 20 x 1 min speed efforts around the Estuary Business Park in Speke. Good session tonight