Page 905 of 1691 FirstFirst ... 40580585589590390490590690791595510051405 ... LastLast
Results 9,041 to 9,050 of 16910

Thread: Today's Training

Re: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    yeah unlucky mate, I read about your tumble, sounded like it smarted a bit

no I didn't and I'm still fuming, especially having seen the pics. Had quite a deep blister on my big toe joint that beame infected and the doc put the frighteners on me by saying it could go into the bone if I ran before it was fully healed.

It was literally a case of a day or two more - it's pretty much healed now. Might well have been alright anyway, but when the doc says 'you could lose a toe', it's not so easy to ignore.

I don't get to many races so missing one always feels like a mini-tragedy to me, and it'll certainly mean I'm less fit for Duddon and Ennerdale.
    Hi Zoot
    I felt bad when I got your call on Friday, I will probably be doing Duddon if you have any problems with transport when you get up here. would put you up but the house is a building site at the Mo
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Cheers AS, I find the day after I'm tired but ok to run quite hard, it's the day after that I feel it which doesn't bode well for Tomorrows race
    Well tomorrows race passed today and it went pretty well infact. If some young whipper snapper (Neil Northrop) hadn't been there to beat me I would have done quite nicely.

50 minutes hard racing shins took a pounding through the Bilberry and later the brambles but hey it's just part of the game.

Joined by PaulE, Footpathrunner, Starsky?, Piglett amongst others

After 3 days of racing Tuesday WILL be a rest day.

From Wessenden Head up to Soldiers Lump & back. Best time yet. a tad under 4 miles, 920 feet gained & lost in 38:28. A nice loosener after the CVR on Sat.

First AL training run of the year.

A bit of a swindle it was really because I got lost and had to do a 5km loop to get back to where I was.

In the end it worked reasonably OK. The halfway pub I was aiming for was closed and the next one was 300mtrs higher up a stony track leading up the hill. When I arrived a bus was disgorging dozens of teenage girls with wheely-suitcases. But nevertheless I got served. A beef soup and a beer.

The pub clock said 4.4 but then I saw that all the numbers on the clock were 4. "When it's 4 it's time for a beer" was written on a plaque above my table. In reality it was about 6.20pm but since I hardly ever wear a watch I can't be too sure.

I still had about 15kms left to go, so after my repast I switched on Queen's Greatest Hits and jogged merrily away, thinking "this could be heaven for everyone" and maybe this long distance running ain't so bad after all.

Not much idea how far. I got well and truly confused in a housing estate maze trying to regain the trail and ran round the little boxes all the same labyrinth about 3 times before a friendly bloke in a garden pointed me to a gap in a hedge and beyond that there it was - my beloved Vienna Woods.

After that it was pretty well plain sailing. Somewhere between 30-35kms and 800-1,000mtrs +/- all told, I'd guess.

No, I don't have a 'gps' gadget either. My brother's SatNav took his camper van onto Morrison's Car Park when he wanted to go over the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge. That's a lesson to us all. In fact, I don't even have a heart-rate monitor. Fact is, it's small wonder I can run at all when I think of all the essential bits and pieces I don't have.

Seriously though, I should have had a map, since the original idea was to recce some of the Trans-Europe Path no.4, but if a map, then reading glasses, and if glasses then paper and pen etc. and well, what about a telephone, and so it goes on. And before you set off you're unscrewing the kitchen sink.
    Two things are essential: a pair of shoes suitable for the terrain. For the Vienna Woods, if leaving the main trails, or it's a bit muddy or wet, I use Saucony Shadow 9. The other thing is some cash. As in the Lakes and other places, a moment's loss of concentration can easily find you in the wrong valley.
    Last edited by woodlander; 27-04-2010 at 07:50 PM.

7ish miles mainly off-road from home... canal, wood and field, a few ups and downs and a nice sunny evening. 51 mins.
    Geoff Clarke

The long way round to get the newspaper in Hampsthwaite, by gum. 55 mins, a short 7 miles and only about 350' ascent. Quads still sore from the descents at PPP. Note to self: must do more hillwork (and speedwork, maybe a few longer runs, too)

struggled at BMF last night

by heck some of those lads are fit

dunno if I've dropped back or if they've got fitter ....

Just been dragged out by the missus and a gang from the College for another 4.5 miles with 350' ascent. Warm and humid.

Super Moderator

About 5ml / 600ft with K&C followed by chilli, garlic bread and Ram Tam. Nice way to celebrate Brett's birthday D:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

SYRL 5 mile, 29.02

Doubt if it could have been much flatter if we were running on a frozen lake far too flat and fast for my liking but I guess it will help build the speed.

Respect to Andi and his ilk who can keep that pace up for 26+miles