Page 947 of 1694 FirstFirst ... 44784789793794594694794894995799710471447 ... LastLast
Results 9,461 to 9,470 of 16931

Thread: Today's Training

Re: Today's Training

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post

My marathon time = 44 x 4.2 x 1.1 = 3 hours 23 minutes. That sort of goes with my rough and ready marathon calculation that my likely time would be circa 1 hour less than it takes me to run the 3P (4:22 best race finish and more recently 4:18 best solo run finish). Absolutely no need to run a marathon now as I already know my time
    I challenge you to run one and prove it!
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    I challenge you to run one and prove it!
    Stef its finding a marathon that I'd enjoy thats the problem*. Kielder looks fabulous but its too late for that this year and ,having done the half version of the Langdale marathon a few years back, I know that route too is lovely even though you run two laps of the half route. Its a really hilly though so wouldn't be the best for going for a fast time and i think that was last month anyway. I think I would hate to death the London Marathon and probably any other city centre run (I hated to death the Leeds 10K) but would welcome suggestions for any scenic and not so touristy marathons, preferably up north.

*I also don't own a single pair of road running shoes

8.5 miles 1,500ft over bleaklow, yes it was a tanky jog, very surprise by the fine weather we had, i was expected heavy rain.

bumped in to a large group of Rucsac club members near Bleaklow, exchanged pleasantries and tales of semi dressed luvshack's before moving on.

Super Moderator

Stef its finding a marathon that I'd enjoy thats the problem*. Kielder looks fabulous but its too late for that this year and ,having done the half version of the Langdale marathon a few years back, I know that route too is lovely even though you run two laps of the half route. Its a really hilly though so wouldn't be the best for going for a fast time and i think that was last month anyway. I think I would hate to death the London Marathon and probably any other city centre run (I hated to death the Leeds 10K) but would welcome suggestions for any scenic and not so touristy marathons, preferably up north.

*I also don't own a single pair of road running shoes
    Edinburgh

Loch Ness

Windermere

It'd make a change from running up and down Pen Y Ghent and Plover Hill every other day

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Edinburgh

Loch Ness

Windermere

It'd make a change from running up and down Pen Y Ghent and Plover Hill every other day
    Cheers DT - Edinburgh will probably require me to join a club or something to get a non-dress up as a womble start though won't it? Windermere sounds good though although that's next May, probably a week or so after I will have fellsmanned. Loch Ness was just last weekend. You're right in that my current running is kind of predictable and typically includes one or more of the 3 peaks each and every single flipping time. I only tend to run Plover and PyG once a week though so don't exagerate

Nice conclusion there Stolly...why didn't I think of ending it with a simple calculation!
    No really, in a sick kind of way, I am looking forward to it. You'd be surprised at how 'unflat' it is. I mean it's not fellrunning but it's fairly undulating the whole way round.
    The guy that won the Challenge last month runs 40 marathons a year and he finished in 2.57 I think.
    I did the Challenge route which is reverse (anti-clockwise) to the marathon (clockwise) last month and it sure is pretty....worth one of your photographs

That marathon sounds gorgeous MG, although I suspect that on the whole it will be a flat 'un given that it seems to follow the lake side all the way.

I also looked at Steve Cram's training guide on the web site and liked his 10K to marathon time conversion formula. He reckons that on balance an 'elite' athlete will run a marathon at a pace 10% slower than their 10K pace. Taking a huge jump in imagination and assuming me to be an elite athlete for a second and adding in that I've also, amazingly, run the Leeds 10K this year in 44 minutes, that means that my marathon time = 44 x 4.2 x 1.1 = 3 hours 23 minutes. That sort of goes with my rough and ready marathon calculation that my likely time would be circa 1 hour less than it takes me to run the 3P (4:22 best race finish and more recently 4:18 best solo run finish). Absolutely no need to run a marathon now as I already know my time
    Last edited by Mountain Goatess; 06-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Edinburgh is okay - it's not too big yet. Just don't do what my team mate did last year, lead the race for 26 miles 285 yards and then lose!

Back to distance training, put some work off as it was too nice a morning.

Strines Pub to Back Tor down to Ladybower, all the way round and back up and over Bact Tor.

18 miles and 2000ft. felt good to be running again but legs stll tirewd after Mondays Effort.

Rest up now until Windgather.

Run round little old uxbridge this morning :thumbup:

Cheers DT - Edinburgh will probably require me to join a club or something to get a non-dress up as a womble start though won't it? Windermere sounds good though although that's next May, probably a week or so after I will have fellsmanned. Loch Ness was just last weekend. You're right in that my current running is kind of predictable and typically includes one or more of the 3 peaks each and every single flipping time. I only tend to run Plover and PyG once a week though so don't exagerate
    You considered the White peak marathon Stolly ? I did it this year as I wanted to complete a marathon and had no interest in running a city one.

Pleasant route up the Tissington trail from Asbourne and down the High Peak trail to Matlock. Not as enjoyable as a day in the hills but as marathons go I reckon its pretty good.