Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR- Tapering

BGR- Tapering

I am looking for advice on tapering for BGR on 28th May. How much to drop off & for how soon before. I am thinking of stringing 3 legs together on 7th May when a mate attempts his round. Will this leave enough time to recover?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers

Gary

Re: BGR- Tapering

I think three weeks is plenty of time to recover. I would, however, ensure your mate has "fresh help" on your third leg with him so he's not so dependant on you. You'll be flagging then if you're carrying stuff

Good luck :-)

A lot depends on what you're used to. And your age. For me this would probably have been too long too close. I did my last longish run (of about 6 hours) three weeks before and then really tapered down. Gentle runs with less hillwork in the next two weeks and only easy walking in the week before.
    Good luck for May!

Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    A lot depends on what you're used to. And your age. For me this would probably have been too long too close. I did my last longish run (of about 6 hours) three weeks before and then really tapered down. Gentle runs with less hillwork in the next two weeks and only easy walking in the week before.
    Good luck for May!

As little as that the week before??? I was planning on still doing a bit of running and not having a 3 week taper I suppose it depends on what works for you etc but it's all wandering into the unknown.

I think it's worth having the week before off but the two weeks before that are fine for running, providing you don't have any enourmous days out then. I did my last really big day three weeks before (Welsh 3000s for the summer, 3 legs for the winter) and did 4/5 hour runs up to a week before and then chilled for a week.

Oh, and ate and drank (water) quite a bit for 2 days before

Two weeks before my Paddy I did nearly 50 miles and 23,000ft of climbing.

The week before just went for a 3 mile jog on the Wednesday to make sure I could still run
    Bill

I think it's good to have a big run 2 weeks before but wouldn't leave it much later than that.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Probably reflects what I said about everyone being different. At 47 it takes me longer to recover from big dig-deep runs than a few years back. After my BG I didn't feel up for any real run for about three months...just couldn't be asked to even try. So before a big outing I would want to train well and then have a long easy lead in. A tough 50-miler a fortnight before would have had a detrimental effect for me...and it's too late by then to have any real benefit on fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    Probably reflects what I said about everyone being different. At 47 it takes me longer to recover from big dig-deep runs than a few years back. After my BG I didn't feel up for any real run for about three months...just couldn't be asked to even try. So before a big outing I would want to train well and then have a long easy lead in. A tough 50-miler a fortnight before would have had a detrimental effect for me...and it's too late by then to have any real benefit on fitness.
    Oops I did that in three runs over the week

After my BG (2008) I felt similar to you but when I started training again it was for another 24 hour round (two actually) and after I did the Paddy last year I recovered a lot faster but not quite fast enough for the Ramsay so if you do a lot of long distance training you will recover faster.

Don't think age has anything to do with it (I'm 45) some of the people I run with are a lot older than me and don't seem to know the meaning of being tired
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gazfrapeerith View Post
    I am looking for advice on tapering for BGR on 28th May. How much to drop off & for how soon before. I am thinking of stringing 3 legs together on 7th May when a mate attempts his round. Will this leave enough time to recover?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers

Gary
    Gary

i did legs 1 and 2 together as a full night run 4 weeks before my attempt. Then pretty much went into the taper earlier than planned due to aching body parts. In the first week of the taper i cut my mileage of the peak week by 50% then 75% second week then did like 5 miles of walking the week of the BG. Ate everything 3 days before.

I was going to do 3 legs together but felt even this was too much. Just do what feels right for you as there are no hard and fast rules.